Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by Julian927
I hope you can buy them from post offices or from the corner shops that display a purple Pre-Pay flag......in the same way that you buy the TravelTens.....but I don't know?
Julie
Hi

Thanks. I will look out for the purple pre-pay flag.

Charlie
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

peewit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi julie

Not used mine yet but hope to soon. Problem is my local train station is un-manned, so not sure where I buy the seniors excursion ticket from.

Charlie
Hi Charlie
I get my seniors excursion tickets from a local newsagents. I usually buy ten at a time. I find when using them at unmanned but automatic barriers at stations or ferry terminals that the barrier must mark the card magnetically with the date and sometimes it prints it on the back of the card.
My longest trip so far on one card was from Sydney to the Blue Mountains and back. They work on buses as well.
They gave me a new freedom once I had that Seniors card.

Peewit
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Just sold the RV today and we are looking at airfares, one way at the end of January when we finish our winter contract, so things are looking up!

All the best

Matt
Looks like you will soon be 'toastie' Matt, good luck.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Rob-PTK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all who remember us ,and all you new folks too. We sold our house back in mid July to a cash buyer who wanted to move in within 4 weeks. As you can imagine it was panic and all systems go but we made it here by 30th Aug.We stayed with our son for a few weeks and having bought a small car as soon as we arrived,we searched for some where to call home . We are now settled on Bribie Island on the Sunshine Coast QLD and love every minute .Our son and Daughter-in-law and 2 grown up Grandchildren are only half an hour away , so for all you folk still waiting,time will pass and it is worth the long wait. Good Luck to all of you.

Chris and Rob
Old Nov 20th 2010, 6:49 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris-Rob-PTK
Hi to all who remember us ,and all you new folks too. We sold our house back in mid July to a cash buyer who wanted to move in within 4 weeks. As you can imagine it was panic and all systems go but we made it here by 30th Aug.We stayed with our son for a few weeks and having bought a small car as soon as we arrived,we searched for some where to call home . We are now settled on Bribie Island on the Sunshine Coast QLD and love every minute .Our son and Daughter-in-law and 2 grown up Grandchildren are only half an hour away , so for all you folk still waiting,time will pass and it is worth the long wait. Good Luck to all of you.

Chris and Rob
Hi there, good to here from you and that you are settling in. Have heard a lot about Bribie Island as my Oz brother in law did a lot of the canal works up there. Sounds like a great place. Were there any problems you encountered in these months that you can share with us?

All the best

Matt
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi there Julie. Can you confirm if there are 2 types of seniors card, 1 that gives you discounts on stuff, the other which Australians who are drawing pension are entitled to, or am I confused?

Just sold the RV today and we are looking at airfares, one way at the end of January when we finish our winter contract, so things are looking up!

All the best

Matt
Hi Matt
That is good that you are heading out to Oz soon.
As you are looking at airfares I thought that I would give you my views on one airline I flew with a few years ago. It was Emirates flying to Sydney via Dubai. I found that two cultural issues affected me. One was that it seems that often some asian women fly without there husband but with their children. I found that some young boys on the flights were very poorly behaved and their mothers made no attempt to discipline them. I know this also happens in UK families but it just seemed more common on these aircraft.
Secondly, well I know that Australians are known to say about England "It has to much water (rain) and not enough soap" but on these flights there was a distinct prevelance of b.o. Maybe I was unlucky and others here seem happy with Emirates but I avoid them.
I am heading back to Sydney shortly on a Cathay Pacific flight for the second year running. Some people call it Crappy Pathetic !

Regards Peewit
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by peewit
Hi Matt
That is good that you are heading out to Oz soon.
As you are looking at airfares I thought that I would give you my views on one airline I flew with a few years ago. It was Emirates flying to Sydney via Dubai. I found that two cultural issues affected me. One was that it seems that often some asian women fly without there husband but with their children. I found that some young boys on the flights were very poorly behaved and their mothers made no attempt to discipline them. I know this also happens in UK families but it just seemed more common on these aircraft.
Secondly, well I know that Australians are known to say about England "It has to much water (rain) and not enough soap" but on these flights there was a distinct prevelance of b.o. Maybe I was unlucky and others here seem happy with Emirates but I avoid them.
I am heading back to Sydney shortly on a Cathay Pacific flight for the second year running. Some people call it Crappy Pathetic !

Regards Peewit
Hi, there is quite a choice of airlines to chose from for sure. We have used Singapore twice, JAL, Cathay P & Royal Brunei and I think the best experience was with Cathay, which was back in 1993 I think. But Singapore comes a good 2nd & will definitely be travelling with them & having a 2 night stop over on the way. Going the Dubai route with Royal Brunei we didn't like Dubai airport, very over crowded!

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi, there is quite a choice of airlines to chose from for sure. We have used Singapore twice, JAL, Cathay P & Royal Brunei and I think the best experience was with Cathay, which was back in 1993 I think. But Singapore comes a good 2nd & will definitely be travelling with them & having a 2 night stop over on the way. Going the Dubai route with Royal Brunei we didn't like Dubai airport, very over crowded!

Cheers

Matt
I should have said that you probably get a much better experience outside of economy class and for those travelling on a one way trip it could make sense. I have not experienced it.
Sounds like you have plenty of experience to draw on. I liked Singapore Airlines too. I found it quite exciting booking the tickets.
Peewit
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,

A question that some of you may be able to answer.

If we were granted a visa next year and we then validated it but returned to the UK to work , have we at that stage become resident and therefore our UK earnings have to be declared in Oz or does that start from when we go to Oz to live?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Hi Guys,

A question that some of you may be able to answer.

If we were granted a visa next year and we then validated it but returned to the UK to work , have we at that stage become resident and therefore our UK earnings have to be declared in Oz or does that start from when we go to Oz to live?
Hi Les

That is exactly what we did at the beginning of this year, but we didn't declare our UK earnings in Oz, not sure if that was right or not, so if someone answers who knows, it will answer us as well.

I suppose the question is even though we have permanent residence, are we actually resident?

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by sirmatt101; Nov 20th 2010 at 12:31 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 12:30 pm

From the lack of postings by Steve, I am presuming he has left our fair shores and is somewhere in Oz? If you are out there Steve, make a sign

Matt
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

At the risk of boring you, I have just made a short video about how I chose which airline to use for long haul flights to Australia.
You can see it here :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbEteYkmN3A
It is just that I have been asked about this on several occasions by people not using this forum (yet). These are just my personal views. I am not involved with any airline. I'm just a pensioner looking for a comfortable flight.

Regards
Peewit
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Matt,

Just wanted to say good luck to you for January, it will come sooooooooo quickly - have you much more to do. It doesn't seem very long since you said that you would have to wait a little longer & now you are off & Steve has gone to.

I've just had my medical yesterday & waiting for police checks to come through. This time last year I was working hard preparing all the info for my application & here I am nearly 12 months later steadily moving up the queue.

Katie
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mavinaus
Hi everyone,
Just joined this so hello to all. Do know of this forum and poms in perth. Husband and I been here since 2005 on 410 visa, and currently applying for contributory parent visa, from Australia. We sent in June and got letter confirmation July, nothing heard since. Is anyone in a similar situation? Do you know how long till we here and how quickly it goes from there? Also, we had some routine medicals done beginning of this year whilst in Asia, do you think they would agree for these to be used? We used to live in Joondalup, now Mandurah. I work virtually full-time, hubby retired. Not been back to UK yet for a visit, loving it here too much. Our only son is here and our sponsor. Any advice greatly received.
Hi mavinaus

I also wanted to welcome you to this brilliant thread. I was just about to reply but MikeandSue beat me to it. I have just got in after making a start on the Xmas shopping today! Anyway, you will find that there is a mine of information on here to help you and if you can't find what you are looking for just shout. I am sure one of the knowledgeable people on here can help. We are also headed to Perth to join our daughter.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, its really not good "netiquette" to keep plugging another forum in this way. We don't expect to find other forums full of references to BE and it works both ways.
Also please remember that most moderators are not agents and any migration knowledge that a moderator has, either on here or on another forum, should not be taken as gospel and acted on unless that moderator has the relevant professional qualifications, or the information can be confirmed by talking to a registered agent. Acting on unsubstantiated information may lead to a lot of problems in the immigration maze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.