Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:13 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Good article here in the Sydney Morning Herald about how sentiment drives currencies, as much an art as a science is forecasting.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie5
Yes but there have been several instances where people or organisations have wanted to see physical proof of the visa:-

Bank needed this or they would have withheld tax on interest payments.
Rental agents as part of proof of ID
Solicitors when buying a house to prove the Federal Investment approval is not needed
etc, etc

So it is easy to get and reduces hassle.

Charlie
The govt. web site is available to all official bodies. I did not have to provide any formal ID to get a rental property. Easy to get is only easy if you are near an appropriate office! Seriously - I have not had to provide a stamped passport for anything - yet!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by durhamlad
We found it also helps if you take your UK Health Insurance Card with you, it used to be the form E111, as it proves you are covered with your home countries National Heath Scheme as the Medicare Scheme is a reciprocal agreement between the two.

DJ
Oh yes, a good idea. This is the EHIC card now and we have one each.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
Seriously - I have not had to provide a stamped passport for anything - yet!
Good but I did!

Charlie
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:06 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

An interesting question, having browsed through Steve's excellent www.gainwave.co.uk page in both those that have already received CPV visas and those waiting for CPV visas I have noticed that nobody has gone or are looking to go to Darwin or the Northern Territories,

Having never been to the "TOP END" I can't comment but there must be some CPV's up there????
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by K and M
An interesting question, having browsed through Steve's excellent www.gainwave.co.uk page in both those that have already received CPV visas and those waiting for CPV visas I have noticed that nobody has gone or are looking to go to Darwin or the Northern Territories,

Having never been to the "TOP END" I can't comment but there must be some CPV's up there????
Yes there are - but I understand that they are mostly from South East Asia. I do know one couple who are there - and LOVE it.
Jean
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:24 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
Yes there are - but I understand that they are mostly from South East Asia. I do know one couple who are there - and LOVE it.
Jean
I guess similar climate to South East Asia.

I am certainly keen to go up to the "Top End" and have a look when we finally get out to Australia, but avoiding the salt water crocs!!.

I have got this ambition to slowly work my way around the whole country over the next few years.

I can remember seeing a OZ TV program in which older people spent time going around the country, I think they called them "Grey Nomads", it appealed to me but I think I would have to do it in phases as I like my creature comforts to much to be away from home for to long.

Does any know if the documentary is still shown??
Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember seeing a OZ TV program in which older people spent time going around the country, I think they called them "Grey Nomads", it appealed to me but I think I would have to do it in phases as I like my creature comforts to much to be away from home for to long.
G'Day

Don't know about the TV prog, but on travels in various parts of Oz, especially when we had a VW Campervan in the '80s, we came across quite a number of Grey Nomads – though not so many as apparently head south from the northern states of the US every winter.

Several couples we met on campsites said that when they retired they cashed in part of their 'super'(annuation) to fund a prolonged – years in some cases – trip around the country after they had had many years of 2-week holidays. They'd let their home, buy a 'van or campervan and set off while still feeling nimble...

Of course seasonal timing is important – and that's the problem with the Top End: It's wonderful in the "Dry" (ie, Oz winter – roughly May to October) but horribly hot, humid and rainy in the "Wet".

Mike

PS: I do still have a videotape of a 1980s Oz TV series called "Pelican's Progress" about flying around the coast in microlights. Anyone up for that?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:13 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am certainly keen to go up to the "Top End" and have a look when we finally get out to Australia, but avoiding the salt water crocs!!.

I have got this ambition to slowly work my way around the whole country over the next few years.

Hi, try this link http://www.decemberfilms.com.au/page...ey_Nomads.html

Before you set off around the coast of Oz, just bear in mind its a total distance of over 34,000 kms, so you will need quite a few jars of VEGEMITE to keep you going

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Hi, try this link http://www.decemberfilms.com.au/page...ey_Nomads.html

Before you set off around the coast of Oz, just bear in mind its a total distance of over 34,000 kms, so you will need quite a few jars of VEGEMITE to keep you going

Cheers

Matt
Many thanks for the Link Sir Matt it is exactly the programme I was referring to. I knew I good rely on the CPV guys from BE.

I think that I would need the biggest Winibago camper you can buy to fit in that amount of Vegemite.

I did not realise the distance! That is a VERY long way!! I am the guy who took 7 days to drive from Johannesburg to Capetown, I kept stopping when I saw something interesting!!!

Regard
Old Nov 9th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

I have met a few people who do the journey in stages - 3 or 4 months at a time - heading north in the winter - returning home when the north/top end gets too hot, and then taking up where they left off 6 months before. This appeals to me too. One of the 'characters' in the Grey Nomads was a woman who sold up everything, bought a rather delapidated camper van, and set off on her own. I think she met many people simply because the van kept breaking down!
Jean
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:18 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the Link Sir Matt it is exactly the programme I was referring to. I knew I good rely on the CPV guys from BE.

I think that I would need the biggest Winibago camper you can buy to fit in that amount of Vegemite.

I did not realise the distance! That is a VERY long way!! I am the guy who took 7 days to drive from Johannesburg to Capetown, I kept stopping when I saw something interesting!!!

Regard
Funny you should mention that, but we have a big Winnebago look alike and its all stocked up with Vegemite and ready to go!

Took us about 10 hours from Cape Town to Joberg, only stopped for fuel and a rest!!

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Funny you should mention that, but we have a big Winnebago look alike and its all stocked up with Vegemite and ready to go!

Took us about 10 hours from Cape Town to Joberg, only stopped for fuel and a rest!!

Cheers

Matt
I did divert to Lesotho though I wish I hadn't, I ended up queuing for 3 hours to get back into SA behind all the locals going back into SA for work, bad timing.

I did not see any Vegemite on the way though!!

I did spend 3 days at www.lemoenfontein.co.za and then onto the winelands before getting to Cape Town, very enjoyable, I still have a great fondness for the Cape wines

This though is not the reason why I intend to buy a house within an hours drive to the Hunter Valley, that is just a rumour put about by my daughter!!

Cheers!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:26 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

We're looking forward to our Singapore Air A380 flight next week powered as it will be by quality Rolls Royce Trent engines which may or may not be attached to the plane at all times. Qantas has angrily rejected the suggestion that its own A380 engines were being lubricated with Vegemite instead of the recommended oil. This rumour would explain the rapid deterioration, but is probably unfounded.

Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sandch
We're looking forward to our Singapore Air A380 flight next week powered as it will be by quality Rolls Royce Trent engines which may or may not be attached to the plane at all times. Qantas has angrily rejected the suggestion that its own A380 engines were being lubricated with Vegemite instead of the recommended oil. This rumour would explain the rapid deterioration, but is probably unfounded.

We're flying A380 (singapore airlines) in January! No worries - the SIA engines are a different spec to Qantas even though they are both made by Rolls Royce. SIA obviously use Marmite!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.