Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Well, there aren't any farms. I think the retailers come up from the coast or down from the mountains but it's not on the farm itself, with a nice tea room as well!! I was probably a bit spoilt at our last location in the UK as it was in Berks so semi-rural with twee farm shops everywhere.
Why does it matter that it's not sold on the farm rather than 30kms down the road?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
For fun I pulled your numbers into Excel, fixed it up for the major quantity differences (eg BOGOF = divide by 2, multiply price when quantities different). I also put milk in, which seemed to get lost off the Tesco column, and Bolognese sauce off the Coles column.

As a result I get:
Tesco £91.06
Coles $197.61

Converting the Tesco prices
Current Exchange rate: $136.10 31% cheaper in UK
At old assumed 2.2 rate: $195.70 1% cheaper in UK

FYI, the 2.2 rate isn't an "old assumed 2.2" rate. It is not based on any exchange rate at all. It is the difference in average wages which gives the best estimate when doing a cost of living comparison. Comparing cost of living using exchange rates is obviously totally meaningless and inaccurate.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Its all swings and roundabouts really.

Since moving to Australia I have seen the GBP plummet and the relative cost of everything go up, when converting to pounds. I have also seen the cost of teh grocery bill remain consistant....ly high. moan moan moan.

However, on the flipside I saw my wages perceptively rocket with every currency fall (even though they have remained constant for 4 years), my online-importing habbits adjust accordingly,
More importantly, we've saved up enough money and bought one house in the UK outright, soom to be 50% remortgaged and a second one acquired, bought a car outright, paid for our wedding, paid for 4 trips back to the UK, Many other holidays and just put a deposit on a Sydney 3 bed flat in the eastern suburbs - in 4 years. we came over here with hardly anything, about 20 grand all up. Most of that went on furniture and wedding.

I could not have done that in my position when I was London. Financially Australia has been massively rewarding and for that I say to her 'Blaaaaaadyy oaaath, maaaaaaaaaaaaatee, ooowowowow yeeeeeeeeeaaah'.

Sure the second hand cars are overpriced and groceries and books are expensive, but you can make it even out.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I posted similar results on here several months ago. We had been and done our monthly shop at Woolworths and it came to $607. I then did the same shop on Tesco online and it came to $203.

Where i live there is little option but coles or woolies. There is a farmers market and we do go as there is a lot of local organic produce, but it is very expensive.

As for if we would be better off in Oz or the UK. For us we know it is the UK as i would not pay tax in the UK (I work in Africa) but do pay full tax in Australia. The question we face is if we want to leave the lifestyle we have now in Oz for more long term financial security in the UK
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
Its all swings and roundabouts really.

Since moving to Australia I have seen the GBP plummet and the relative cost of everything go up, when converting to pounds. I have also seen the cost of teh grocery bill remain consistant....ly high. moan moan moan.

However, on the flipside I saw my wages perceptively rocket with every currency fall (even though they have remained constant for 4 years), my online-importing habbits adjust accordingly,
More importantly, we've saved up enough money and bought one house in the UK outright, soom to be 50% remortgaged and a second one acquired, bought a car outright, paid for our wedding, paid for 4 trips back to the UK, Many other holidays and just put a deposit on a Sydney 3 bed flat in the eastern suburbs - in 4 years. we came over here with hardly anything, about 20 grand all up. Most of that went on furniture and wedding.

I could not have done that in my position when I was London. Financially Australia has been massively rewarding and for that I say to her 'Blaaaaaadyy oaaath, maaaaaaaaaaaaatee, ooowowowow yeeeeeeeeeaaah'.

Sure the second hand cars are overpriced and groceries and books are expensive, but you can make it even out.
I was saying on another thread, that when the tax return is done and the refund cheque is in my account, my overall COL is roughly the same. My income is substantially higher now though and we don't struggle at all.

Unlike you, I guess we came here with a lot (UK property market was very good to us).
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
For fun I pulled your numbers into Excel, fixed it up for the major quantity differences (eg BOGOF = divide by 2, multiply price when quantities different). I also put milk in, which seemed to get lost off the Tesco column, and Bolognese sauce off the Coles column.

As a result I get:
Tesco £91.06
Coles $197.61

Converting the Tesco prices
Current Exchange rate: $136.10 31% cheaper in UK
At old assumed 2.2 rate: $195.70 1% cheaper in UK

Lining them up 1 for 1 and taking the true exchange rate we get this list of worst to best:

Code:
Sorbent Clean & Fresh Personal Toilet Wipes 40 pack     281.11%
Cabbage Drumhead Whole 1 each                           224.93%
Bertolli Classico Olive Oil 500mL                       180.00%
Onions Brown Prepacked 2kg                              176.52%
Coles Disinfectant Pine 750mL                           159.49%
Coles Bread Wholemeal Sliced 700g                       149.46%
Coles Chicken Breast Sliced Twin Pack 100g              143.79%
Riviana Basmati Rice                                    136.82%
Yoplait Go-Gurt Yogurt Tubes 70g x 8 Pack               135.70%
Coles Pasta Sauce Bolognese 500g                        124.40%
Coles sensitive fabric softener 500ml                   117.86%
Mushrooms Cup Prepacked 200g                            108.10%
Apples Royal Gala Prepacked 1kg 1 each                  104.71%
Capsicum Red loose approx. 320g each                     98.15%
Coles Mayonnaise 385g                                    96.79%
Barilla Pasta Spaghetti No. 5 500g                       80.66%
Heinz Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 420g                   79.74%
Coles Baby Spinach Prepacked 150g                        75.07%
Coles Onions Australian Chopped Frozen 500g              73.86%
Coles Smart Buy Dishwashing Tablets 3 in 1 30 pack       72.04%
Vaalia Yoghurt Passionfruit Low Fat 4 pack               71.24%
Cucumber Green 1 each                                    61.76%
Potatoes                                                 61.36%
Mandarins Kids Pack 700g                                 60.13%
Coles Ultra Mould Cleaner 500mL                          58.87%
Kraft Basil & Herb Pasta Salad Dressing 300mL            53.53%
Coles Cereal Special Flakes 500g                         50.86%
Coles Butcher Sausages Pork 560g                         50.33%
Tomatoes Cherry Prepacked 250g x2                        49.02%
Coles Beef Mince 4 Star 500g                             48.54%
Coles Spread Sunflower 500g                              45.97%
Dynamo Laundry Liquid Ultra Concentrate Regular 1L       44.95%
Grapes Red Seedless approx. 800g                         36.78%
Coles Peas Australian Frozen 1kg                         35.39%
Arnott's Chocolate Biscuits Tim Tam 200g                 34.64%
Continental Asian Tonight Sauce Thai Sweet Chilli 520g   30.72%
Coles Eggs Free Range 6 pack 350g                        30.72%
Potatoes Sweet Gold Prepacked 1kg                        18.76%
Coles Oats Quick Original 10 pack                        17.32%
Coles Milk Lite Bottle 3L                                12.69%
Carrots Fresh Prepacked 1kg                               7.84%
Ingham Chicken Breast Tenders Frozen 400g                 7.50%
Coles Chicken Breast Fillet Skin Off 4 pack approx. 900g  6.86%
Avocado Hass 1 each                                       0.74%
Coles Garbage Bags Drawstring 20 pack                    -1.14%
Coles Foil Wrap Aluminium 10m x 30cm 1 each              -6.70%
Broccoli loose approx. 340g each                         -9.71%
Birds Eye Fish Fillets Steamed G&S Onion Frozen 360     -12.42%
Coles Smart Buy Bleach Lemon 2L                         -16.99%
Coles Peanut Butter Crunchy No Added Salt 375g          -18.99%
Coles Toilet Cleaner Gel Bleach 700mL                   -19.93%
Coles Toilet Tissue 4 Ply Print 8 pack                  -21.53%
Continental Chicken Tonight Simmer Sauce Cacciatore 500g-25.73%
I think you may find that a true comparison is confused by the non-totally equivalent items, but it's interesting to see where the really overpriced items are.
Originally Posted by spartacus
Save your breath mate, no-one's listening.
Giggle...

So: said basket of goods twice in Australia that of UK.

As long as your onshore Australian salary is reliably twice that your UK one you'll be no worse off...in broad terms...

My salary expectation in UK..40-100? mortgage not subsidized. Absolute min maybe 30k??

It's almost meaningless! Some will be in niche markets, others not.

Here 120-150+ subsidised mortgage - but to climb. Absolute min: 70??

Average salary gbp 25 vs Aus 50?

The hardest factor is knowing what coin I might be on, at any one time, in any one market, and what inflation will do - and there has been increases on both countries - particularly Australia if I believe the contribution, not that the UK outperforms Australia all the time or vice versa.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:29 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Sometimes it pays for me to read the previous posts.

+1

It's a hell of a bus fare to the nearest Tesco so what does it matter?
It doesn't matter in the slightest for people like you who have lived in Aus for a while and have no intention of returning to the UK. In fact, not sure why some people have even read the thread or commented
However, for those of us who are planning on making the move it is very important to see if we will be massively worse off financially
I have read so many posts on here talking about COL in Aus, I just wanted to see for myself.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
It doesn't matter in the slightest for people like you who have lived in Aus for a while and have no intention of returning to the UK. In fact, not sure why some people have even read the thread or commented
However, for those of us who are planning on making the move it is very important to see if we will be massively worse off financially
I have read so many posts on here talking about COL in Aus, I just wanted to see for myself.
When we came in 2006 it looked like we could afford to live here.We cant say that we have noticed a huge difference in our food bill.We still need to eat but perhaps take more care in what we are buying.The bills that stump us are utilities that keep going up and up and I have no doubt that same happens in the Uk.For instance our life insurance cover is now three times more than what it was 5 years ago.Our wages isnt.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:51 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
When we came in 2006 it looked like we could afford to live here.We cant say that we have noticed a huge difference in our food bill.We still need to eat but perhaps take more care in what we are buying.The bills that stump us are utilities that keep going up and up and I have no doubt that same happens in the UK.
For instance our life insurance cover is now three times more than what it was 5 years ago.Our wages isnt.
Our bills are going up here too
I'm not sure if they are increasing at the same rate as Aus or more or less. I think it's probably a global thing.

One thing I know is cheaper here, is dentistry. I go to a private dentist (no NHS butchery for me or my family any more ) but from conversations I have had on Facebook with friends in Aus, I know I pay significantly less here.
My daughter needs braces and I won't have to pay for them either.

All things to consider, because as a nurse I don't think my wages are going to be significantly higher in Australia, although I will be able to salary sacrifice more. Here, I can only do that with childcare costs.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're wasting your time but it's your life ...
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:01 am
Happy migrant

I think you're wasting your time but it's your life ...
I'm genuinely not sure what you mean DV.

I know what I'll be earning in Australia, I know roughly what rents are. I just want to know I can afford to do my usual shop.
A lot of people on this forum have said grocery shopping in Australia is very expensive - I was pleasantly surprised by this shop. Especially given it was all Coles online and not using butchers etc.

Like I said, for people who already live in Australia this thread would be a pointless read.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Our bills are going up here too
I'm not sure if they are increasing at the same rate as Aus or more or less. I think it's probably a global thing.

One thing I know is cheaper here, is dentistry. I go to a private dentist (no NHS butchery for me or my family any more ) but from conversations I have had on Facebook with friends in Aus, I know I pay significantly less here.
My daughter needs braces and I won't have to pay for them either.

All things to consider, because as a nurse I don't think my wages are going to be significantly higher in Australia, although I will be able to salary sacrifice more. Here, I can only do that with childcare costs.
I went to the dentist for my regular check ups in the Uk.Never missed one.The only time I have been to one in the five years is the school dentist with the children(free) and when my youngest knocked out his tooth.($400 roughly).
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I know what I'll be earning in Australia, I know roughly what rents are. I just want to know I can afford to do my usual shop.
A lot of people on this forum have said grocery shopping in Australia is very expensive - I was pleasantly surprised by this shop. Especially given it was all Coles online and not using butchers etc.

Like I said, for people who already live in Australia this thread would be a pointless read.
To be honest, Kapri, I think it is so much harder now that I have a lot of time for new arrivals. Harder in terms of recent increases, and harder in terms of Australian house prices. This would now put Australia above us if we turned back the clock.

But if you know your starting financial position, income, and you know your basket, then your sums will be right.

Groceries are obscene, but you're right to consider COL for medical. That would be more here.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

So what if you couldn't afford to do your usual shop?

What's the plan? Abandon the move? Change the shop?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what if you couldn't afford to do your usual shop?

What's the plan? Abandon the move? Change the shop?
It's all serious stuff.. (I am not joking) !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.