Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:11 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So what if you couldn't afford to do your usual shop?

What's the plan? Abandon the move? Change the shop?
If I can't afford to live to a certain standard, then no, I wouldn't move.
The shop is only one aspect of it, and of course it doesn't need to be EXACTLY the same. It's just to give me a general idea.
People on this site are saying Australia is expensive, and it certainly isn't cheap. But it's perhaps not as expensive as I thought it may be.

Top tip Vim, if you don't like the thread, stop posting in it.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

Hey Kapri I think this is an excellent post and you've done me and no doubt many others a favour.

I was going to do this a few weeks ago but haven't got round to it. Cheers.

We are just going through our final last minute/cold feet checks to commit to moving to Brisbane this December and the cost of living has always been a doubt in my mind. As you have pointed out, the general shopping costs dosen't appear to be as bad as some people have made out.

Nice one!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:24 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
Hey Kapri I think this is an excellent post and you've done me and no doubt many others a favour.

I was going to do this a few weeks ago but haven't got round to it. Cheers.

We are just going through our final last minute/cold feet checks to commit to moving to Brisbane this December and the cost of living has always been a doubt in my mind. As you have pointed out, the general shopping costs dosen't appear to be as bad as some people have made out.

Nice one!
Thanks AF! good luck with your move, see you on the other side

Do you know where in Brisbane you are headed?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a quick check . Online prices for Woolies are 5-15% higher than in-store, then there is the delivery charge on top. I believe the same applies at Coles.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Originally Posted by Kapri
My Coles basket came to $202.75
My Tesco basket came to £91.70 although there would be a couple of BOGOF's to come off at checkout.
$202.75 = £134.56 so Tesco is $42.80 cheaper. I'd call that a pretty big difference.

Interesting comparison, though. The disparity isn't as great as I expected.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:47 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
$202.75 = £134.56 so Tesco is $42.80 cheaper. I'd call that a pretty big difference.

Interesting comparison, though. The disparity isn't as great as I expected.
Is that using the current exchange rate Vash?

I thought Fish's 2.2 may be a better indicator as I have worked out that my salary is likely to be about 2.2 higher. In which case there isn't much difference.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The shop is only one aspect of it, and of course it doesn't need to be EXACTLY the same. It's just to give me a general idea.
People on this site are saying Australia is expensive, and it certainly isn't cheap. But it's perhaps not as expensive as I thought it may be.

I did all of this stuff before I moved too. Came up with roughly the same answer as you have now. I used to get quite concerned that we wouldn't be able to afford to live here. But when we got here, I found that we were actually better off because both of us earnt more than we thought we would. In fact, I didn't have to work for the first 3 years of being here! (I do now I'm single though ) I know that's not true for everyone but for most it is (based on my experience of people I know that have done it)

Shopping, dentists etc aside, I think you'll be fine hun. You live to your means wherever you are, and there really isn't that much difference when you take everything into account.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:02 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Is that using the current exchange rate Vash?
Yep. Straight from www.xe.com.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:55 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Wendy
I did all of this stuff before I moved too. Came up with roughly the same answer as you have now. I used to get quite concerned that we wouldn't be able to afford to live here. But when we got here, I found that we were actually better off because both of us earnt more than we thought we would. In fact, I didn't have to work for the first 3 years of being here! (I do now I'm single though ) I know that's not true for everyone but for most it is (based on my experience of people I know that have done it)

Shopping, dentists etc aside, I think you'll be fine hun. You live to your means wherever you are, and there really isn't that much difference when you take everything into account.
Thanks Wendy. Really I am trying to do worst case scenario.

When I first started thinking about Australia I was young, free and single. I didn't care about cost of living at all.
Now, with a husband and two kids who aren't really bothered about emigrating I feel like I need to have some assurances. If I end up making them worse off just because of my wish to have some adventure I will feel forever guilty.

However, my OH is coming round to the idea and I have a feeling it will all turn out ok
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Straight from www.xe.com.
Xchange rate meaningless when comparing cost of living when earning local currency vash.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Xchange rate meaningless when comparing cost of living when earning local currency vash.
Can someone - anyone - explain to me which bit of this they don't quite grasp, and how we can explain it just so...

Help us to help YOU.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:40 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised the comparative baskets aren't that far apart - it always seems hideously expensive when I go shopping. Perhaps that's because i don't buy Coles own stuff often as it's a bit ropey sometimes. For instance, the mayo listed might not get eaten. I didn't buy home brand stuff in the UK either unless it was 'finest' or M&S. Hardly matters - to the OP it's still doable even if it is more expensive here by more than the list shows.

I'm going to exploit this shopping ting to ask whether anyone else seems to inadvertently buy too much 'gone off' stuff. I've just opened a 2 pint bottle of Paul's milk ($2.75) for my coffee and it's rancid - sell by date 1st Nov ... Not a rare event either - must be the heat transporting food around.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Originally Posted by fish.01
Not meaningless at all. It still tells you the price difference.

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm going to exploit this shopping ting to ask whether anyone else seems to inadvertently buy too much 'gone off' stuff. I've just opened a 2 pint bottle of Paul's milk ($2.75) for my coffee and it's rancid - sell by date 1st Nov ...
We've been here two years and it's never happened to us.

Not a rare event either - must be the heat transporting food around.
Unlikely. Coles' trucks are refrigerated.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 27th 2011 at 10:02 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not meaningless at all. It still tells you the price difference
By some derived international measure maybe; but economists talk about purchasing power and have other systems in place.

Fx rates are in constant flux; and we all know they have moved from a relatively high band. If the dollar or pound collapses overnight the Australian salary is still the same salary.

Of course fx movements translate eventually with regard to international trade etc but for most migrants this is outside the immediate: buying local with local salary.

Whether or not you find Australia expensive is dependent on income.

If I took someone aside, promoted them, and negotiated a 50k rise then they would find the cost of living lower with nary a fx rate to think about.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 27th 2011 at 10:53 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:50 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'd abandon the move if the grocery numbers didn't add up, in any case there are other options that aren't Coles/Woolies/whatever.

If you like living here you will adapt, otherwise you will find issues, that's the way it is.

So, ultimately, you are moving anyway and it's only when you are here you will really know the cost of living.

Therefore the whole exercise is pointless.

It's not that I don't like the thread, I'm just pointing out that other people should not waste their time also.

I'll post where I like, it's a discussion forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.