Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coles vs Tesco - I have done online shops

Originally Posted by Kapri
Thanks Wendy. Really I am trying to do worst case scenario.

When I first started thinking about Australia I was young, free and single. I didn't care about cost of living at all.
Now, with a husband and two kids who aren't really bothered about emigrating I feel like I need to have some assurances. If I end up making them worse off just because of my wish to have some adventure I will feel forever guilty.

However, my OH is coming round to the idea and I have a feeling it will all turn out ok
I get the feeling this isn't going to end well.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I don't think you'd abandon the move if the grocery numbers didn't add up, in any case there are other options that aren't Coles/Woolies/whatever.

If you like living here you will adapt, otherwise you will find issues, that's the way it is.

So, ultimately, you are moving anyway and it's only when you are here you will really know the cost of living.

Therefore the whole exercise is pointless.

It's not that I don't like the thread, I'm just pointing out that other people should not waste their time also.

I'll post where I like, it's a discussion forum.
Have to admit, you need to do it to avoid nasty surprises because 2 countries might pay vastly different salaries relative to COL dependent on sector. There you go Vash, the COL/ income is key, not FX.

It might be that there is some correlation in the local translation and therefore only the outlyers need to be considered - housing for one, some medical, dentistry another.

If GBP is brought over - at reduced FX in recent years - this might form basis of subsidy.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We eat well in Australia
If any Australian, on any income, is not eating well then they are a f**kwit
Nobody is starving

There it is
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to admit, you need to do it to avoid nasty surprises because 2 countries might pay vastly different salaries relative to COL dependent on sector. There you go Vash, the COL/ income is key, not FX.

It might be that there is some correlation in the local translation and therefore only the outlyers need to be considered - housing for one, some medical, dentistry another.

If GBP is brought over - at reduced FX in recent years - this might form basis of subsidy.
Maybe, if you are going to compare everything (medical, insurances, rego, petrol, tax, car serving, house maintenance/rent, clothes, etc, etc) to the nth degree then maybe you would have an idea of how much disposible income you'd have.

And knowing that, and the cost of the sort of things you'd want to dispose it on, you could have an idea of what kind of life you would have.

Add kids, or the prospect of, into the equation and all bets are off. To say nothing of the numerous unexpected expenses life throws up.

My point is that if you are serious about coming over then you are likely going to do it anyway (and adjust your spending accordingly if necessary).

There are just so many variables.

I don't dislike this thread, it provides food for thought.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Not meaningless at all. It still tells you the price difference.
Forgive me if I have misunderstood you but imo it doesn't compare cost of living at all for those earning local wages.

If the pound strengthens 25% tomorrow against the AUD it doesn't make the costs of living cheaper in Australia, or the cost of living dearer in the UK. They stay the same. Yet comparing tomorrow with that new exchange rate would tell you otherwise.

Consider that it is possible that on the same day the pound could strengthen against the AUD and the Yuan could weaken against the AUD. Using exchange rates would suggest that the cost of living in Australia got dearer AND cheaper on the same day. In reality it would not change at all. Exchange rates do not work for cost of living comparisons.

It is totally meaningless except for tourists or people earning pounds and living in Australia.

You can only compare the cost of living by working out the percentage something costs of average salary in each country. That is where the 2.2 rate came in - someone worked out that the published difference in average salaries was roughly 2.2. So multiplying by 2.2 (or your variant) is far more accurate than using xchange rate for both comparing expenses and working out whether your new Aussie income is acceptable.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Forgive me if I have misunderstood you but imo it doesn't compare cost of living at all for those earning local wages.

If the pound strengthens 25% tomorrow against the AUD it doesn't make the costs of living cheaper in Australia, or the cost of living dearer in the UK. They stay the same. Yet comparing tomorrow with that new exchange rate would tell you otherwise.

Consider that it is possible that on the same day the pound could strengthen against the AUD and the Yuan could weaken against the AUD. Using exchange rates would suggest that the cost of living in Australia got dearer AND cheaper on the same day. In reality it would not change at all. Exchange rates do not work for cost of living comparisons.

It is totally meaningless except for tourists or people earning pounds and living in Australia.

You can only compare the cost of living by working out the percentage something costs of average salary in each country. That is where the 2.2 rate came in - someone worked out that the published difference in average salaries was roughly 2.2. So multiplying by 2.2 (or your variant) is far more accurate than using xchange rate for both comparing expenses and working out whether your new Aussie income is acceptable.
I agree that the system of comparing costs to the buying power of your local Australian wage packet is far better and more accurate when assessing the overall local COL.

However, there is always an however.

Exchange rates can and do impact the local COL depending on the import and export balance Australia has with another country and what currency they transact in.

A typical example and one that we do witness is if the US Dollar appreciates all oil imports become more expensive so all fuel costs rise in Australia. That most certainly affects the COL and is a direct result of exchange rates.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm surprised the comparative baskets aren't that far apart - it always seems hideously expensive when I go shopping. Perhaps that's because i don't buy Coles own stuff often as it's a bit ropey sometimes. For instance, the mayo listed might not get eaten. I didn't buy home brand stuff in the UK either unless it was 'finest' or M&S. Hardly matters - to the OP it's still doable even if it is more expensive here by more than the list shows.

I'm going to exploit this shopping ting to ask whether anyone else seems to inadvertently buy too much 'gone off' stuff. I've just opened a 2 pint bottle of Paul's milk ($2.75) for my coffee and it's rancid - sell by date 1st Nov ... Not a rare event either - must be the heat transporting food around.
Only time I have had something that was off within 24 hours of buying, was from Coles (chicken). Haven't shopped there since...

Originally Posted by spartacus
My ex hubby wasn't too bothered about coming. He wouldn't go back now though!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I agree that the system of comparing costs to the buying power of your local Australian wage packet is far better and more accurate when assessing the overall local COL.

However, there is always an however.

Exchange rates can and do impact the local COL depending on the import and export balance Australia has with another country and what currency they transact in.

A typical example and one that we do witness is if the US Dollar appreciates all oil imports become more expensive so all fuel costs rise in Australia. That most certainly affects the COL and is a direct result of exchange rates.
Yes, obviously a COL comparison between two countries is a different topic to an analysis of the factors that affect COL in one country (including foreign purchases) but worth noting none the less.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 28th 2011 at 7:29 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:56 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

If you like living here you will adapt, otherwise you will find issues, that's the way it is.

So, ultimately, you are moving anyway and it's only when you are here you will really know the cost of living.

Therefore the whole exercise is pointless.

It's not that I don't like the thread, I'm just pointing out that other people should not waste their time also.

I'll post where I like, it's a discussion forum.
I really think you have missed the whole point.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you move to Australia quite a few years ago as a single man? i.e. with very little to lose and at a time when Aus was definitely the cheaper option?
My family are not overly keen on emigrating. It is my desire for adventure that is driving the move, so I need to be reasonably sure that we can afford to do it. Of course there are no guarantees, and of course we will adapt.
But what kind of mother would I be, if I ended up in a situation where my children end up significantly worse off than they are now, just because I fancied doing something different?

I didn't say you couldn't post on this thread, I just wonder why you can't be more constructive? Otherwise what's the motivation for posting?

Luckily some people on this site have followed my on /off emigration process (for quite some time ) and have been hugely helpful. It is quite telling that two different, long time posters have PM'd me with good, constructive advice, but neither wanted to post it in public forum.

I'm also friends a lovely family that I met through a meet, and some great girls on Facebook, all of whom have emigrated successfully, as families with children, and who have been willing to offer some great constructive advice.

Vim, as a poster you sometimes make me laugh (in a good way) and I often enjoy reading your posts. But on this thread, I don't think you have been very helpful, which is a shame as you are in a position where you could be helpful if you so wished.
BTW - being helpful is not the same as agreeing, it's about offering constructive advice.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:03 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think it's very rare for children to want to move, and I'm sure they will adapt.
It's my OH that isn't bothered. He isn't against the move, he's just not excited about it. However, he is the type who settles and adapts quite quickly.

But, you can see why I'm not quite as blase about the whole emigration process as I may have been a few years ago
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:05 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Wendy

I have a strong suspicion it will be the same for mine
I know what's best for him
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yes, obviously a COL comparison between two countries is a different topic to an analysis of the factors that affect COL in one country (including foreign purchases) but worth noting none the less.
Indeed, and I agree with Bix; in essence I would advise a prospective migrant to start with local income etc, proceed from there.

Of course the Fx rate will have repercussions but you can't necessarily plug these in to your calculator when browsing a store.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:14 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed, and I agree with Bix; in essence I would advise a prospective migrant to start with local income etc, proceed from there.

Of course the Fx rate will have repercussions but you can't necessarily plug these in to your calculator when browsing a store.
Which is what I'm doing. Luckily nursing rates of pay are published freely on the net, so I know exactly how much I will be taking home fortnightly.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Originally Posted by Kapri
I have a strong suspicion it will be the same for mine
I know what's best for him
See my highlighted text.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:37 am
Happy migrant

See my highlighted text.

Anyone who knows us knows that would never happen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.