Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:32 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Just to let you all know "WE GOT THE VISA" Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I caint belive it

Sarahx
Fantastic news Sarah. All the best to you and your lovely family.

Joex
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieD
We too have been considering relocating to Oz with our 3 kids for quite some time and have made a couple of trips over to help with our decision. I agree with previous messages that food isn't really much cheaper over there. It's one thing to go into a supermarket as a holidaymaker and convert the bill to UKĀ£ when you are only in the coutry for a week or two. But this doesn't necessarily give a realisitic view when having to live there on a lower australian income. I know petrol is cheaper, but friends have told me that cars are more expensive to buy. there is the cost of education for kids. Yes there is a state system but again friends tell me that you usually end up paying out a lot. And as for private education, how many of us can afford that option? And not forgetting medical and dental care.

I've noticed a lot of the families featured on WDU say"It's only a plane ride away...." but these flights have to be paid for and I don't imagine these are much cheaper from Australia especially when you have several family members to fly back for visits to the UK. I wonder how anyone affords to come back on the salaries Nadia has been quoting. I know you can say well the family will visit us but realistically as in the case of the 80yr old dad on this morning's show, how often is he going to be able to go out there to see his grandkids. Then there was the mum the other day with MS who said she would not be able to make the journey.

I guess what I'm thinking is that after you've got used to the sunshine and the novelty has started to wear off and reality is kicking in, is the grass any greener.......?
Brilliant and most perceptive post Youve picked up so many points many dont understand till they get here, great post.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:07 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Wanted down under is repeated next week on BBC 1 between 2 & 4am (time varies each day) if anybody missed one that they wanted to see and want to record it.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NeilCk
Wanted down under is repeated next week on BBC 1 between 2 & 4am (time varies each day) if anybody missed one that they wanted to see and want to record it.
Hmmm kids broke the remote can't record without it
I get so little sleep as it is not sure I could withstand staying up to watch them. What the flippin heck is wrong with the BBC. Put the programs on in
the evenings you freaks.

I am gutted they didn't cover Melbourne though
Don't get me wrong it's really interesting andstill relevant it just would have been nice.

BBC

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:21 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hmmm kids broke the remote can't record without it
I get so little sleep as it is not sure I could withstand staying up to watch them. What the flippin heck is wrong with the BBC. Put the programs on in
the evenings you freaks.

I am gutted they didn't cover Melbourne though
Don't get me wrong it's really interesting andstill relevant it just would have been nice.

BBC

Jen
Is that a Sky + remote you're talking about...? 'cos I've got one here that's no use to me anymore...
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rodders39
Is that a Sky + remote you're talking about...? 'cos I've got one here that's no use to me anymore...
Oh I wish it was Rodders.It's a crappy VCR that you can't record without having the remote to it It's that old doubt you can buy one for it anymore, even made hubby look on ebay earlier
We haven't used it for recording for years so when the remote got broke it was no drama.

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:30 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Oh I wish it was Rodders.It's a crappy VCR that you can't record without having the remote to it It's that old doubt you can buy one for it anymore, even made hubby look on ebay earlier
We haven't used it for recording for years so when the remote got broke it was no drama.

Jen
Oh well, just a thought...!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rodders39
Oh well, just a thought...!
Thanks anyway. Much appreciated.

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

BobbyK81 will become famous soon enoughBobbyK81 will become famous soon enough

Hi all, this is my first time on this site. I'm trying to find out more about "Wanted Down Under", mostly if they're making another series, and how to get on it? My girlfriend & I are hoping to emigrate in March 2008, as l'm an electrician l've been led to believe it's fairly straight forward? Also, though, we have no idea at this point where to live, if anyone has any ideas it'd be greatly appreciated, we'll be 27 & 21 by that time and both looking to work, Ta much.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Some of the series is on uknova, its on another link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424056

they only let 30000 peeps have uknova accounts, but some come available through the day. I've set up a spare one people can use if they're having difficulty getting signed up.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Just to let you all know "WE GOT THE VISA" Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I caint belive it

Sarahx
Congratulations !
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

ciao1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the programme for the second time today.

How was that brick layer chap going to improve his lifestyle? Getting up at 04.45
in the morning for a 05.30 start. Then in the heat of summer working through 35 degrees of heat!

But it was all explained!! He could be on the beach at 16.00 hours playing with the kids!

Yeah right ...totally crashed out on the sofa with the A/C on full blast if he had any sense!

If you are thinking about getting away from this Island make sure that it is an improvement on lifestyle for all the family.

Last edited by ciao1966; Feb 9th 2007 at 3:00 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ciao1966
I watched the programme for the second time today.

How was that brick layer chap going to improve his lifestyle? Getting up at 04.45
in the morning for a 05.30 start. Then in the heat of summer working through 35 degrees of heat!

But it was all explained!! He could be on the beach at 16.00 hours playing with the kids!

Yeah right ...totally crashed out on the sofa with the A/C on full blast if he had any sense!

If you are thinking about getting away from this Island make sure that it is an improvement on lifestyle for all the family.
Yea he would probably be knackered, but he could still have time spare with the kids. When you planning on getting away from this island?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

ciao1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coppock
Yea he would probably be knackered, but he could still have time spare with the kids. When you planning on getting away from this island?

I have seen too many Brits slaving 19 hours a day running bars and restaurants in Spain only to come home poorer and disillusioned.

I have known families to go over to Australia and be faced with "assimilation" issues, ie don't speak like a Pom or the kids got bullied at school, the father had the "mick" ripped out of him at work.

There are many good reasons for wanting to leave here ...but its home...its where my family live....and Tony Blair will be stepping down shortly!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:33 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ciao1966
I have seen too many Brits slaving 19 hours a day running bars and restaurants in Spain only to come home poorer and disillusioned.

I have known families to go over to Australia and be faced with "assimilation" issues, ie don't speak like a Pom or the kids got bullied at school, the father had the "mick" ripped out of him at work.

There are many good reasons for wanting to leave here ...but its home...its where my family live....and Tony Blair will be stepping down shortly!
and you are on a forum for people emigrating to Australia because??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.