Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hiya

We were the Jones family my oh was the carpet fitter

Sarahx
You changed your name then Sarah? What does your old man do now?

[just kidding with you]
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:58 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
You changed your name then Sarah? What does your old man do now?

[just kidding with you]

still carpet fitting, what was my name b4 Hutch ?

Sarahx
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
still carpet fitting, what was my name b4 Hutch ?

Sarahx
I think it was the fact you said you WERE the Jones family and your OH WAS a carpet fitter, almost in the past tense. Hutch has obviously had too much VB over East this evening
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:05 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think it was the fact you said you WERE the Jones family and your OH WAS a carpet fitter, almost in the past tense. Hutch has obviously had too much VB over East this evening
Absolutely right, missus. Actually, tonight - I am mostly drinking Tooheys Extra Dry Warmed up with a couple of Cascade Premium Lights - may move onto the Crowns shortly
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right, missus. Actually, tonight - I am mostly drinking Tooheys Extra Dry Warmed up with a couple of Cascade Premium Lights - may move onto the Crowns shortly
Cor blimey, you know how to party my dear
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Cor blimey, you know how to party my dear
Had a shocking week - just drowning me sorrows.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

life must be bad if you are drinking that load of weak piss
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:12 am
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
These people aren't "spoiled idiots" - they're just like the rest of us, trying to make the decision whether Australia is the place to spend the future. They responded to an advert to appear on a BBC show and got a week's holiday in Oz. Why does that make them idiots? And yes, "home" is the Uk because that is where they currently live.

You don't know they aren't prepared to make a really good go at it. The BBC have posted a few snippets where the family showed dislike or disappointment at a few things. Well that makes good TV, doesn't it, and 5 mins of that tells us nothing about the real goings on in these people's lives. Don't be so harsh - it's TV and editing doesn't always paint a real picture.

I'm sure you'll see the bigger picture one day.
Ahh I love this forum.. you lot are so easy to wind up.

Thanks HiddenPaw, I can see the bigger picture, I have worked in editing, so I don't need your help from on high with that one.

I think some people have missed my point. The point I am trying to make is that the cognitive effects of constantly referring to things as being different to 'back home' are going to put you in the wrong frame of mind from the outset.

I agree that viewing differences is human nature, I personally love going to supermarkets, for instance, in other countries and seeing how things are different, I mean that's the idea isn't it? If we wanted things the same, we would stay in the UK.

I just don't see why these people make things more difficult for themselves by mentally keeping one foot in Blighty that's all.

Last edited by carlosthegerbil; Feb 8th 2007 at 11:14 am.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:16 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies
The one with the swimming pool and tennis court
nope that one was the equivalent of £230,000

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:18 am
Australia's Doorman

life must be bad if you are drinking that load of weak piss
I said Crown, not Carling Black Label.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:19 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
Ahh I love this forum.. you lot are so easy to wind up.

Thanks HiddenPaw, I can see the bigger picture, I have worked in editing, so I don't need your help from on high with that one.

I think some people have missed my point. The point I am trying to make is that the cognitive effects of constantly referring to things as being different to 'back home' are going to put you in the wrong frame of mind from the outset.

I agree that viewing differences is human nature, I personally love going to supermarkets, for instance, in other countries and seeing how things are different, I mean that's the idea isn't it? If we wanted things the same, we would stay in the UK.

I just don't see why these people make things more difficult for themselves by mentally keeping one foot in Blighty that's all.
I can sort of see where your coming from, but everyone's different and need to do things there way. I suppose they refer to it being better or worse than the UK cause thats all they've ever known.
I know full well that most things will be completely different but sometimes in human nature you want certain things to be or feel the same - something to do with your comfort zone isn't it and what makes you feel secure.
I think the point here is though that despite all the reservations they had and dislikes etc they chose to confront all those and do it.

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:23 am
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen
I can sort of see where your coming from, but everyone's different and need to do things there way. I suppose they refer to it being better or worse than the UK cause thats all they've ever known.
I know full well that most things will be completely different but sometimes in human nature you want certain things to be or feel the same - something to do with your comfort zone isn't it and what makes you feel secure.
I think the point here is though that despite all the reservations they had and dislikes etc they chose to confront all those and do it.

Jen
Yeah, people find comfort in routine and similarities. I suppose it is asking quite a lot of people to expect to know one way or the other within a week if they want to move there permanently anyway, but I just like to analyse peoples thought processes when doing something like this.

How long before we get 'Celebrity Wanted Down Under'?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:27 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Hey Hutch anything we can help you with?
I hope you dont have the hangover I have today love:

Sarahx
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:39 am
Just Joined

KatieD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monandgaz
I have just read through the last few pages of this thread.....
and watching WDU on some mornings last and this week I noticed that many families wanted to become mortgage free and would've been able to buy a house outright ...should they decide to go ahead and make the move.
What scared me was the fact that some of them would not've been on such a bad income ( compared to what my husband would earn over there anyway)
...yet being mortgage free they were still worried about making ends meet and living comfortably. I have to say that if we were mortgage free right now we would definitely live very comfortably here in the uk !!!!!

We were all set to apply for our visa after months of research, but now I am really not so sure anymore. We would need a mortgage and with hubbies wages ( his and mine would add up to ~ $70K with 3 kids )and the prices of everyday living as mentioned in this thread....I am wondering if after getting used to the sunshine ..we really would be living a better life in Oz....
...or are those families appearing in WDU not really your average and are just asking for too much ???

Mona
We too have been considering relocating to Oz with our 3 kids for quite some time and have made a couple of trips over to help with our decision. I agree with previous messages that food isn't really much cheaper over there. It's one thing to go into a supermarket as a holidaymaker and convert the bill to UK£ when you are only in the coutry for a week or two. But this doesn't necessarily give a realisitic view when having to live there on a lower australian income. I know petrol is cheaper, but friends have told me that cars are more expensive to buy. there is the cost of education for kids. Yes there is a state system but again friends tell me that you usually end up paying out a lot. And as for private education, how many of us can afford that option? And not forgetting medical and dental care.

I've noticed a lot of the families featured on WDU say"It's only a plane ride away...." but these flights have to be paid for and I don't imagine these are much cheaper from Australia especially when you have several family members to fly back for visits to the UK. I wonder how anyone affords to come back on the salaries Nadia has been quoting. I know you can say well the family will visit us but realistically as in the case of the 80yr old dad on this morning's show, how often is he going to be able to go out there to see his grandkids. Then there was the mum the other day with MS who said she would not be able to make the journey.

I guess what I'm thinking is that after you've got used to the sunshine and the novelty has started to wear off and reality is kicking in, is the grass any greener.......?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:42 am
Just Joined

KatieD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
Yeah, people find comfort in routine and similarities. I suppose it is asking quite a lot of people to expect to know one way or the other within a week if they want to move there permanently anyway, but I just like to analyse peoples thought processes when doing something like this.

How long before we get 'Celebrity Wanted Down Under'?
Ha ha, please spare us! Mind which celebrities would we like to see go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.