Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

monandgaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
What does your husband do for a living Mona?
My husband is a Binder and Finisher in printing. He did get a job offer, but he will not be on more then $35K - $40K....like I said if you are mortgage free it will be alright I guess, but I think we will really struggle otherwise.
Maybe I am comparing this to the Uk here wagewise, but thinking about private healthcare, school fees ( one son will go to uni ) on top, less if any childbenefit.....

hmmmm.........

Mona
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:13 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
These people aren't "spoiled idiots" - they're just like the rest of us, trying to make the decision whether Australia is the place to spend the future. They responded to an advert to appear on a BBC show and got a week's holiday in Oz. Why does that make them idiots? And yes, "home" is the Uk because that is where they currently live.

You don't know they aren't prepared to make a really good go at it. The BBC have posted a few snippets where the family showed dislike or disappointment at a few things. Well that makes good TV, doesn't it, and 5 mins of that tells us nothing about the real goings on in these people's lives. Don't be so harsh - it's TV and editing doesn't always paint a real picture.

I'm sure you'll see the bigger picture one day.
Hiya thanks for that
I couldn't have put it better myself "having been one of the idiots that appeared on the show"!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:18 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
With reference to deleted posts above.

Quoting Sue from this morning -
"If you do not own the copyright or have the permission of the copyright holder, you do not have the right to distribute the material and we do not want you to post the links here."
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...27&postcount=2

BE does not condone the distribution of copyright material and we will delete posts that breach this policy.

Thank you.
Oops Sorry I wasn't thinking of that I just wanted to watch all the ones i missed etc. Sorry.
Maybe will try contacting BBC see if they will do a box set or something - no doubt with some massive fee

Thought today's family were ok, the comparisons between houses etc I don't really thin you can because in general they are so different.
Lifestyles unless you've been living under a rock you know its going to be different.
I wouldn't miss the snow, or ice or sleet or having to put my car away so I don't have to de ice the flippin thing. I wouldn't miss the fact that where I live anyway even ppl working in shops don't speak to you unless they have to. I wouldn't miss the tiny main roads that take forever to get you anywhere. The numerous roadworks and patch ups that they seem to do here cause they have naff all else to do.
However yes I would miss my family and a few really good friends, it will really hurt to leave them behind, but there's Skype and webcams etc, telephones, hopefully we'd see most of them once a year. An I'm determined if it doesn't work out i'll be coming back here to spend the time with family and then re-evaluate once family is no longer around. As hubby wants to stay out til we get citizenship at the very least we would have the opportunity to do that. But 4 years is a very long time if you're missing home.
For me any friends I make over in Australia will help me to want to stay there. Having ppl you can chat to who understand can sometimes make all the difference.

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:23 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Oops Sorry I wasn't thinking of that I just wanted to watch all the ones i missed etc. Sorry.
Maybe will try contacting BBC see if they will do a box set or something - no doubt with some massive fee

Thought today's family were ok, the comparisons between houses etc I don't really thin you can because in general they are so different.
Lifestyles unless you've been living under a rock you know its going to be different.
I wouldn't miss the snow, or ice or sleet or having to put my car away so I don't have to de ice the flippin thing. I wouldn't miss the fact that where I live anyway even ppl working in shops don't speak to you unless they have to. I wouldn't miss the tiny main roads that take forever to get you anywhere. The numerous roadworks and patch ups that they seem to do here cause they have naff all else to do.
However yes I would miss my family and a few really good friends, it will really hurt to leave them behind, but there's Skype and webcams etc, telephones, hopefully we'd see most of them once a year. An I'm determined if it doesn't work out i'll be coming back here to spend the time with family and then re-evaluate once family is no longer around. As hubby wants to stay out til we get citizenship at the very least we would have the opportunity to do that. But 4 years is a very long time if you're missing home.
For me any friends I make over in Australia will help me to want to stay there. Having ppl you can chat to who understand can sometimes make all the difference.

Jen

Do you know how much the first house was that they looked at? I missed it
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:25 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hiya thanks for that
I couldn't have put it better myself "having been one of the idiots that appeared on the show"!
hi jones family can i ask how far along with visa prcess and soon to be gold coast move you are
lesley
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:27 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
hi jones family can i ask how far along with visa prcess and soon to be gold coast move you are
lesley
Hiya Lesley
We sent our medicals to Oz 3 weeks ago tomorrow, so I sit here with fingers & legs crossed hoping everything will be ok

Sarahx
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:34 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies
Do you know how much the first house was that they looked at? I missed it
I could be wrong but wwasn't the first house the equivalent of about £150k???

Jen
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:35 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Lesley
We sent our medicals to Oz 3 weeks ago tomorrow, so I sit here with fingers & legs crossed hoping everything will be ok

Sarahx
well if theyve asked for medicals it shouldnt be too much longer have you decided when and where your going to go on goldcoast and does oh have the carpet fitting job still open to go to? were waiting for same visa just got co 2 days ago already have meds etc so hopefully get some news in next 2 weeks and its the gold coast we are heading for hopefully end of may robina i think
lesley
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:45 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
I could be wrong but wwasn't the first house the equivalent of about £150k???

Jen
The one with the swimming pool and tennis court
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:19 am
Scotland is so cold

Lynoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Think that the first house was £200K the second £235K and the third £140K.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Lynoz
Think that the first house was £200K the second £235K and the third £140K.
Wow that was a lot of house for £200k! Not that we've got £200k but still amazing!

Thanks for replying
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:23 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I cant believe i missed the only Scottish couple, can anyone tell me when they were on?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:27 am
JONES FAMILY

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
well if theyve asked for medicals it shouldnt be too much longer have you decided when and where your going to go on goldcoast and does oh have the carpet fitting job still open to go to? were waiting for same visa just got co 2 days ago already have meds etc so hopefully get some news in next 2 weeks and its the gold coast we are heading for hopefully end of may robina i think
lesley

Hiya Lesley
Don has been offered work with Ray the guy on Tv but he has also been offered work in Brisbane, he will be self employed so I suppose will do a bit of both. We were thinking of Coomera as this is a lovely area I also like Robina this is where Ray lives and seems to have good schools, but depends on where we can also get rented accommodation as this is becoming harder by the day. We still have our house to sell as until I get the green light I dont really want to sell it. What does your oh do?

Sarahx
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:42 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya thanks for that
Which family were you then? C x
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:47 am
JONES FAMILY

Originally Posted by shiels
Which family were you then? C x

Hiya

We were the Jones family my oh was the carpet fitter

Sarahx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.