Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by tofster
My sentiments entirely. In no way do I feel you were ranting !!!!
How on earth does any child (for arguments sake up to the age of 15-16) have a balanced view of the world? What will they do when they get there? - sit at the table and mope about what has been left behind?? Any parent with any sense would surely see that the children will, in a few years, be thanking them for taking them there. It would be interesting to do a "WDU 5 years on programme" and see how many of the tricky teenagers would come back to the UK after 5 years in Oz ! I agree with the "soft parent syndrome". I was moved 3 times between 10 and 15 years old (not abroad - admittedly) but far enough to lose touch with my old friends. So what ?? made some new ones. I had reservations each time, but they quickly disappeared.
We have had two families close to us emigrate in the last 6 months - To Melbourne and Adelaide respectively. Both families in at the deep end, both feet, not looking back (or giving themselves time to look back). Sit and dwell over what you are leaving behind and it ain't gonna work.

Also, what kind of messages are the rellies and friends leaving on this show? Did you see any today who wished them good luck? Any that said, "go for it -we wish we were". Nope, none.
Perhaps I have been sucked into exactly what the programme wants !!!! For me, this part is definately "script co-erced" or heavily edited. Or all the families so far gave had miserable gits for friends !!

One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!

Agree totally, we always tape it that way you can forward past them bits.

We turned todays off before the end, we'd seen all the Oz bits. Some lovely houses on todays programme though at very reasonable prices.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:41 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
But exams aren't everything... Private schools teach confidence, people skills etc.. All the things that get you up the ladder.
Exactly...
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:43 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by datamile
But exams aren't everything... Private schools teach confidence, people skills etc.. All the things that get you up the ladder.
Maybe, but it's not worth shelling out all that money just for that is it.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster

One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!
What's your problem with trainers? I never wear shoes unless I have to as they make my feet hurt.

Besides they're on holiday, don't most people wear trainers on holiday?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai

I watched the prog today. What none of u have picked up on is that it is all v well voting Oz as 3 of the family did today but that woman really didn't have the relevant qualification to meet the criteria to teach in the state system so even if they want to go it might be impractical.
Good point.

Did they mention even if she could become a state school teacher in many states, QLD included, that first she would be expected do do a few years rural/remote service. Was the show in a a highly disadvanted community where the life expectancy is 25 odd years less than ours, with delightful 45c degree days, and a shack with lots of drought cracked land 800 klms from a beach.

Thought not
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:29 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Good point.

Did they mention even if she could become a state school teacher in many states, QLD included, that first she would be expected do do a few years rural/remote service. Was the show in a a highly disadvanted community where the life expectancy is 25 odd years less than ours, with delightful 45c degree days, and a shack with lots of drought cracked land 800 klms from a beach.

Thought not
You`re right there!

The 3 schools were:

All Saints Anglican: http://www.asas.qld.edu.au/

Upper Coomera State College : http://uppercoomerasc.eq.edu.au/

The Southport School: http://www.tss.qld.edu.au/
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it is! My son's gcse results were in my opinion poor. We put our son into private school when we came here,he repeated a year which didn't go down well at first. He has done fantastically since he has been there.It is his final year and going to uni. The other skills they teach are well worth shelling out for.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Good point.

Thought not
This is so true. At Middlemount and other mining towns all the teachers are just out of uni/teachers college and they have to anywhere from 2/4 years. Some of these schools don't even have walls between class rooms, just a piece of sacking material. some have air cons(mining town communities pay for their own. The state government provided not a cent towards it because it wasn't hot enough The other country school don't have air con and you are dead right 45c for days on end,but then they are allowed a bottle of water in class. Now there's a good reason for private school, airconditioning and walls, swimming pool etc.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:21 am
u only get 1 shot

B@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to all

"One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!"

Just in the defence of all fathers and kids in this show, this program was filmed in the summer of last year when the world cup was in full flow & the nation’s pride was running high. Well, for the first 2 weeks of the competition anyway.
and today father did slip into a rugby top at one point as well, just for good measure. lol
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes it was, here anyway. Our son was bullied badly in his first primary school here, their hands were tied, they could do nothing about the bullies except exclude them from classes for one day. It continued, so we took him out. Next school he was ok at because a number of the lads in his football and cricket teams went there, so he had ready made friends. The open plan classroom style was no good in my opinion. How they expected the children to really concentrate when 3 teachers could be heard talking at the same time I will never know. We looked around 2 state high schools and were far from impressed by again, the noise levels and the manners of some of the students while we were there. We visited 2 private schools and the difference in the way the students conducted themselves while we were there was incredible.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Oh yes it was, here anyway. Our son was bullied badly in his first primary school here, their hands were tied, they could do nothing about the bullies except exclude them from classes for one day. It continued, so we took him out. Next school he was ok at because a number of the lads in his football and cricket teams went there, so he had ready made friends. The open plan classroom style was no good in my opinion. How they expected the children to really concentrate when 3 teachers could be heard talking at the same time I will never know. We looked around 2 state high schools and were far from impressed by again, the noise levels and the manners of some of the students while we were there. We visited 2 private schools and the difference in the way the students conducted themselves while we were there was incredible.
Excellent post could not agree more!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:42 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
Excellent post could not agree more!
Well, all I know is, our son attended a private high school here because we felt it was best for him. Any problems you have as a fee paying parent, are dealt with immediately, if it is at all possible. If you phone to speak to a particular teacher and they are unavailable, another teacher or the student principle called back within minutes. All parents were free to just pop in anytime, uninvited, to any class if they so wished. Our son is now at uni and doing very well indeed, so for us and peace of mind, the cost was well worth it. I think the state schooling system drags miserably behind anything we had back home, but that is my experience.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well, all I know is, our son attended a private high school here because we felt it was best for him. Any problems you have as a fee paying parent, are dealt with immediately, if it is at all possible. If you phone to speak to a particular teacher and they are unavailable, another teacher or the student principle called back within minutes. All parents were free to just pop in anytime, uninvited, to any class if they so wished. Our son is now at uni and doing very well indeed, so for us and peace of mind, the cost was well worth it. I think the state schooling system drags miserably behind anything we had back home, but that is my experience.
I found the same problems dealt with immediately, not side shuffled. Mine had problems with some other guys at school because of his English accent. It was stamped on straight away,and that was the end of it.The cost certainly worth it.Here there is only one decent state High school to send your teenager to anyway. I am very glad we shelled out.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

robandsam is an unknown quantity at this point

laughed when bloke couldnt even mange to hold his flag the right way up ! oh he's a man utd fan from oxfordshire! what a complete plank.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:39 am
Just Joined

hazey32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi all,
Just wondered what everyone thought of today's show? Seemed to me that the couple had absolutely no idea of how expensive Sydney was before they went. There was no mention of schools for their daughter - it seemed more important to them where to get a good cup of tea!!!!
Thought I would find this series really helpful but not entirely sure it's giving a true insight into Oz life.

Hazel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.