Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
You orginally from Bristol then Pollyanna? I'm a Bristol girl orginally...hoping to be a Brisbane girl eventually! Hope you have a great time there...how long is it since you have been back? Have you seen it since the work started on Broadmead?
I've been back 4 times in the last 2 years, for various reasons. Last time was cos my Dad passed away, this time is to clear up his effects, ship them etc, but as my sister says, we will make the most of the visits cos he wouldn't want us moping! My "secret" to dealing with parts of Qld life which don't suit me is simple - plan my next trip, then I have something to look forward to! And Dad's legacy gives me enough cash to do just that.
I'm a Zummerzet gurl originally, born in sight of Glastonbury Tor, grew up in Wiltshire, then spent 20 years in Brighton before coming here to marry an Aussie. All the family are now in the Bristol area, out Keynsham way, so as far as I'm concerned thats now my English home. If/when you get to Brissie we must get together

Longwell Green Asda beckons.......

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 28th 2007 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've been back 4 times in the last 2 years, for various reasons. Last time was cos my Dad passed away, this time is to clear up his effects, ship them etc, but as my sister says, we will make the most of the visits cos he wouldn't want us moping! My "secret" to dealing with parts of Qld life which don't suit me is simple - plan my next trip, then I have something to look forward to! And Dad's legacy gives me enough cash to do just that.
I'm a Zummerzet gurl originally, born in sight of Glastonbury Tor, grew up in Wiltshire, then spent 20 years in Brighton before coming here to marry an Aussie. All the family are now in the Bristol area, out Keynsham way, so as far as I'm concerned thats now my English home. If/when you get to Brissie we must get together

Hi Pollyanna,Another Zummerzet person then!!! I grew up in Cheddar and used to spend the odd day shopping, nightclubs, and hippodrome visits in Bristol. Funny enough moved down to Sussex when I was 18 and met my husband at the top Rank nightclub in brighton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have moved back to Taunton area for now, sold the house and move to the Sunshine coast in June. Cant wait now!
Neither of us have got jobs yet, which does worry me abit. I did have an offer of an interview at Brisbane royal womens and childrens but turned it down and said I would call on them when I get to Brisbane.
What do you think is the likelihood of hubby getting a job as a bricklayer?????
Anyway I have to say that I would handle things similar to you by looking forward to trips to UK or family visiting.
All the best, Jackie
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi Pollyanna,Another Zummerzet person then!!! I grew up in Cheddar and used to spend the odd day shopping, nightclubs, and hippodrome visits in Bristol. Funny enough moved down to Sussex when I was 18 and met my husband at the top Rank nightclub in brighton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have moved back to Taunton area for now, sold the house and move to the Sunshine coast in June. Cant wait now!
Neither of us have got jobs yet, which does worry me abit. I did have an offer of an interview at Brisbane royal womens and childrens but turned it down and said I would call on them when I get to Brisbane.
What do you think is the likelihood of hubby getting a job as a bricklayer?????
Anyway I have to say that I would handle things similar to you by looking forward to trips to UK or family visiting.
All the best, Jackie
OMG The Top Rank....followed by a keeebab from the place by the station! I was there, anytime between 1984 and 1992....... I met a few blokes at the Top Rank, didn't marry any of them though!
Re the jobs - have you posted on the nursing forum?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Theres a few people around here like Annqldau that have good info for Brisbane nurses,a dn from what I hear you should have no worries on that. Lots of threads on things like bricklaying - have a search for posts by Cresta57, for lots of general trade stuff, he's in Gympie, and Jad n Rich - lots of very realistic and dwon to earth posts about all different trades. I've met "Mrs Jad n Rich" and their stuff is absolutely, down the line, true.

Certainly when you first get out here, set a goal for your first trip back, and use it as a milestone. I didn't go back for 2 whole years, even when I was at my lowest. I'd set the goal and I stuck to it.Too easy to go back too quickly and decide to stay there. Married to an Aussie is a bit different though, as wherever you live one person has to leave the family behind. It does help,,both for me, and for the family over there, that we all have a rough goal in sight. we also discussed things like parent's passing away, and made rough decisions - such as when my dad went, we knew he was going, but my sister and I decided I would be more use to her children if I went after he had died. Hard decisions, but best taken before they are necessary, and once the decisions are made, try to stick to them, don't change arrangements on a whim.

On a lighter note, at this rate we will have a whole crowd from the West Country here for a meet!!!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeybee
It also annoys me that they are showing these potential emigre's houses that would be way out of their price range if it wasn't for the fact they had a huge slab of UK equity to take with them. I seem to remember one guy who was going to earn 16-20k GBP/year being shown 200k GBP houses - that's all well and good for UK emigrants but it paints an unrealistic picture of Oz as somewhere where everyone lives in a palace.
Most of the houses I've seen on this programme would be obtainable by a lot of Australians. Most poms with some equity and a modest mortgage can get a really nice house. I think the show is realistic in this regard.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

OMG The Top Rank....followed by a keeebab from the place by the station! I was there, anytime between 1984 and 1992....... I met a few blokes at the Top Rank, didn't marry any of them though!
Re the jobs - have you posted on the nursing forum?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Theres a few people around here like Annqldau that have good info for Brisbane nurses,a dn from what I hear you should have no worries on that. Lots of threads on things like bricklaying - have a search for posts by Cresta57, for lots of general trade stuff, he's in Gympie, and Jad n Rich - lots of very realistic and dwon to earth posts about all different trades. I've met "Mrs Jad n Rich" and their stuff is absolutely, down the line, true.

Certainly when you first get out here, set a goal for your first trip back, and use it as a milestone. I didn't go back for 2 whole years, even when I was at my lowest. I'd set the goal and I stuck to it.Too easy to go back too quickly and decide to stay there. Married to an Aussie is a bit different though, as wherever you live one person has to leave the family behind. It does help,,both for me, and for the family over there, that we all have a rough goal in sight. we also discussed things like parent's passing away, and made rough decisions - such as when my dad went, we knew he was going, but my sister and I decided I would be more use to her children if I went after he had died. Hard decisions, but best taken before they are necessary, and once the decisions are made, try to stick to them, don't change arrangements on a whim.

On a lighter note, at this rate we will have a whole crowd from the West Country here for a meet!!!
That would of been the same time as us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I moved to Sussex for work in 1985 and stayed there 7 years.
Will really look forward to any meets. Thanks for the advice, this site is sooooooo useful. All the best jackie
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:26 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Zummerzet gurl originally, born in sight of Glastonbury Tor
I'm ssooooooooooo jealous!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:44 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

message reply for jad and rich

hi thanks for the reply post ref queensland and carpentry work..i know no where is perfect but here in the uk we live in a small house area not so good!!have a druggie neighbour our mortgage a month is £850 interest only.for a £200,ooo house ex council,my hubby is self employed and so had a trade licence called cis ,so getting one there would be the same thing, here is the same alot of running around doing quotes not always getting the work, there are far to many carpenters here and not enough work the wages have come down as now we have let in bulgarians as part of the e.u and they are hard workers willing to take low low wages which has put alot of tradies that are here out of work, I am not prejudice my mum was from serbia,but it makes life a struggle.Where my husband has bought his wood from they there have layed off all their workers and taken on polish workers as they demand less wages!,

cost of living is seriouslly high in the south of uk we have sandbanks and canford cliffs near here which is the third in the world richest places to live,beckham and oasis and many other celebs have bought homes here .Must be bennefits to moving to oz for us the kids here are little chavs as they are known it is popular to trash peoples property smoke at 9 years old, and the more of a thicko or naughty you are as a kid the more followers you get!!!its used to be when i was at school the more clever you were or sporty then you were the popular ones,

uk used to be where shakespeare came from english accents were posh, we used to have a good counrty,it has gone to major pot, i have been told no where is perfect to live but friends who live in oz tell me that life is not like that there.It is far cooler to be sporty or clever.not cooler to be a little s**t!¬ a better outdoor life for kids in oz, england is a small counrty and far to over populated and still letting people in by flocks. where as australia is a huge under populated beautiful country warmer weather which should help my reynaurds i suffer with cold hand and feet syndrome,i can see that doing quotes huby may have to travel some distance nothing he doesnt do here.i cannot imagine the prices are the same there in queensland as bournemouth the prices in uk vary as living in london is similar to here in bournemouth, but no way you can earn the money to live there are no first time buyers as no one can afford to get on the property ladder.i

f s/e queensland is expensive i will look at somewhere cheaper,must be many different beautiful areas,like the family who were on the perths show(painter decorator) they gave up on oz as they couldnt have bought a show house',FOR GODS SAKE'what was wrong with at least buying a do you upper house that they looked the daughter said i am not coming to the other side of the world to live in this.well your daddies a painter decorator put a bit of elbow grease into doing it up and at least you would own your own home.

got to be better than renting a small house in uk and having to take in students to suppliment their income on the wages he would get here he would get there their rent in perth would only be $450 per month instead of £850 here , i would never give up i would rent or look somewhere else in oz , life is always better when the sun shines,and the birds are singing. i was in tears to come home from goa india, ii loved the heat and sun and friendly people get none of that here in the uk!!!...

..oh and its too politically correct here.So as my point i know things dont get handed to you on a golden plate by moving regarding jobs and buying homes..but if things are crap here i would rather them be cr**in oz!!! and i know oz is so far from home but i have no intention of ever coming back to the uk not even to visit,got no consistent friends all are users ....my mum died 7 years ago.... sister lives in dubai and my husbands family we hardly see and they are moving to spain got my dad here but thats one good reason to move!!!!and if the 'moaning ol git misses '.......us...... he can jolly well move to oz then, ha ha

regarding medical insurance i have that here it for me is £38 per month, i dont mind paying towards the cost of schools there,i am sure they are better.alot of brits move to oz thinking it will be britain with warmer weather well that it isnt

iif any one is going to miss their football their traditional pubs the seasonal weather dont bother moving if you will miss all that s**t

and also if you think you will make life better if anyone out there are like the couple on wanted down under that were trying to patch their marage up, they chose adelaide the guy who wires up cables with the one daughter who pannicked about swimming with dolphins,it aint gonna work if it isnt working here it wont work there, why do people with relationship problems think moving to the other side will make it work!!!!any way lets hope tomorrows show is good and of interest.......... sorry for all the woffle

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 28th 2007 at 8:57 pm. Reason: language
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
hi thanks for the reply post ref queensland and carpentry work..i know no where is perfect but here in the uk we live in a small house area not so good!!have a druggie neighbour our mortgage a month is £850 interest only.for a £200,ooo house ex council,my hubby is self employed and so had a trade licence called cis ,so getting one there would be the same thing, here is the same alot of running around doing quotes not always getting the work, there are far to many carpenters here and not enough work the wages have come down as now we have let in bulgarians as part of the e.u and they are hard workers willing to take low low wages which has put alot of tradies that are here out of work, i am not prejudice my mum was from serbia,but it makes life a struggle.where my husband has bought his wood from they there have layed off all their workers and taken on polish workers as they demand less wages!,cost of living is seriouslly high in the south of uk we have sandbanks and canford cliffs near here which is the third in the world richest places to live,beckham and oasis and many other celebs have bought homes there.must be bennefits to moving to oz for us the kids here are little chavs as they are known it is popular to trash peoples property smoke at 9 years old, and the more of a thicko or naughty you are as a kid the more followers you get!!!its used to be when i was at school the more clever you were or sporty then you were the popular ones, uk used to be where shakespeare came from english accents were posh, we used to have a good counrty,it has gone to major pot, i have been told no where is perfect to live but friends who live in oz tell me that life is not like that there.it is far cooler to be sporty or clever.not cooler to be a little shit!¬ a better outdoor life for kids in oz, england is a small counrty and far to over populated and still letting people in by flocks. where as australia is a huge under populated beautiful country warmer weather which should help my reynaurds i suffer with cold hand and feet syndrome,i can see that doing quotes huby mmay have to travel some distance nothing he doesnt do here.i cannot imagine the prices are the same there in queensland as bournemouth the prices in uk vary as living in london is similar to here in bournemouth, but no way you can earn the money to live there are no first time buyers as no one can afford to get on the property ladder.if se queensland is expensive i will look at somewhere cheaper,must be many different beautiful areas,like the family who were on the perths show(painter decorator) they gave up on oz as they couldnt have bought a show house,what was wrong with at least buying a do you uper house that they looked at got to be better than renting a small house in uk and having to take in students to suppliment their income on the wages he would get here he would get there there rent in perth would only be $450 per month instead of $850 here ,he i would never give up i would rent or look somewhere else in oz , life is always better when the sun shines, i was in tears to come home from goa india, ii loved the heat and sun and friendly people get none of that here in the uk!!!.....oh and its too politically correct.so as my point i know things dont get handed to you on a golden plate by moving regarding jobs and buying homes..but if things are crap here i would rather them be crapin oz!!!sorry for all the woffle
Well said... I live next to Sandbanks, by Whitecliff and yes the houses are expensive .. The wages here in Poole / Bournemouth are not good, my husband earned the same in Lincoln as what he does here , yet our 3 bed semi cost £340k compared to equivalent in Lincoln of £135k.... But it is great down here though !!

Last edited by Phil & Chele; Jan 28th 2007 at 3:01 pm. Reason: spellings!!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:08 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! Longwell green ASDA is near my God daughter's family and I often visit and just 'pop' for a look at the clothes!
You give some great advice, Thanks. If we get there I plan to stay for two years before a trip home - as I think it will probably be me who struggle with the settling. Although my son worries about making friends I know the kids will settle fine. Have you got kids? If so how did they settle?

I am spending 3 weeks in Brisbane in April if you fancy meeting for a coffee/drink?

Last edited by Babycatcher; Jan 28th 2007 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackie barden
That would of been the same time as us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I moved to Sussex for work in 1985 and stayed there 7 years.
Will really look forward to any meets. Thanks for the advice, this site is sooooooo useful. All the best jackie
your from our neck of the woods, we are in Cheddar, previously surrey/sussex! then NZ for a year.small world
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:42 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hello all you West Country folk,nt wishing to hijack the thread but Katsmajic and Us are trying to sort a West country meet up soon,please take a look at the meet up section and if you can make it along (suggestions for a venue would be nice) that'd be great.
We'm off to asdawl in the mornin!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
OMG! Longwell green ASDA is near my God daughter's family and I often visit and just 'pop' for a look at the clothes!
You give some great advice, Thanks. If we get there I plan to stay for two years before a trip home - as I think it will probably be me who struggle with the settling. Although my son worries about making friends I know the kids will settle fine. Have you got kids? If so how did they settle?

I am spending 3 weeks in Brisbane in April if you fancy meeting for a coffee/drink?
Is anyone going to Melbourne on this series!!!!, getting fed up with the same
places and the same old link speech. Yes I can switch off (or not record) but I am hoping that one day Melbourne will be featured. Does anyone know or is there a family on this site that went to Melbourne or even Victoria?, perhaps Victoria did not want to provide advertising money to the programme.

Cheryl
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:30 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

message for chele ,poole

thanks for the reply, god thats a difference from lincoln,prices of houses just think you would get near enough a $1,000,000 house in oz for the same price as your 3 bed semi here, just think big pool bigger house ,outdoor barbie,beautiful beaches dolphins sunshine ha ha get out of this shit country leave whitecliffe behind get on the blower to a migration agent p.s i have pm'd you back.

Last edited by graciebluecat; Jan 28th 2007 at 4:31 pm. Reason: wrong spelling
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:30 pm
skye

search on www.radiotimes.co.uk and go to seach tv on the homepage - left hand side - type wanted down under and it will list all the areas for the next two weeks programmes...

Last edited by skye; Jan 28th 2007 at 4:47 pm.

Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:32 pm
Banned

message for cheryl

melbourne is not on for the rest of next week not sure when programe ends,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.