Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by tofster
My sentiments entirely. In no way do I feel you were ranting !!!!
How on earth does any child (for arguments sake up to the age of 15-16) have a balanced view of the world? What will they do when they get there? - sit at the table and mope about what has been left behind?? Any parent with any sense would surely see that the children will, in a few years, be thanking them for taking them there. It would be interesting to do a "WDU 5 years on programme" and see how many of the tricky teenagers would come back to the UK after 5 years in Oz ! I agree with the "soft parent syndrome". I was moved 3 times between 10 and 15 years old (not abroad - admittedly) but far enough to lose touch with my old friends. So what ?? made some new ones. I had reservations each time, but they quickly disappeared.
We have had two families close to us emigrate in the last 6 months - To Melbourne and Adelaide respectively. Both families in at the deep end, both feet, not looking back (or giving themselves time to look back). Sit and dwell over what you are leaving behind and it ain't gonna work.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!
I agree totally, we moved from Lincoln to Poole last July... my daughter aged 14 couldn't wait to move ( even though she knew she was going to miss her friends badly - thank heavens for MSN !!) Our eldest son whom was 17 yrs at the time was total opposite did not want to move at all, had lots of strops but came with us.. He was the first one to settle, great social life, college life and pt job,he absolutely loves it here - no way would he move back to Lincoln..

Now having to try and persuade him to think about Oz, but he's not interested as wants to be an Army officer when finished his A levels........ but you never know !!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:31 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster
Also, what kind of messages are the rellies and friends leaving on this show? Did you see any today who wished them good luck? Any that said, "go for it -we wish we were". Nope, none.
Perhaps I have been sucked into exactly what the programme wants !!!! For me, this part is definately "script co-erced" or heavily edited. Or all the families so far gave had miserable gits for friends !!

One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!

BLOODY GOOD POINT - what happened to 'Good luck, life is too short, there's always email, phone, text, msn and we love you and want whatever makes you happy and by the way we are saving for a visit'.
Oh yeh and DON'T wear Ozzie shirts - Save them for when you get back!
OK now I really am ranting! Still watching it though!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:37 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

here here they just worried about their own feelings 'i will miss you 'sob sob bloody sob. if they really had a caring side they should think about the people going not their own feelings.And say go..........my father in law keeps on to us to piss off to oz.we would have a better life for our kids .people who hold us back are toxic!!!........
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

angela lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

we have our visas now and plan to go this year. Have family in Melbourne but
have fallen in love with other areas/houses - now dont know where to go.
I didnt know about 'wanted down under' so missed the first few programmes.
Did they do Victoria (Melbourne) ?
Does anyone know if they will get repeated on Sky later ??
Does anyone have it taped ? Could i get a copy somehow? ????
JUST CANT WAIT TO GET THERE.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Phew !!
Glad you all agree, thought I might have overstepped the mark when I re-read it !!!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
I thought it was good to see the schools good to see kids waving and excited in the back ground instead of sticking their tounges out or fingers up which you would almost deffo get here,I think they should put uk kids in the classroom to mingle with the oz kids do a bit of surfin for p.e got to be better than rounders in the cold rain!!!...watch out for the sharks mind!!

:
gracie, dont forget this is television, they want to make it look great, please dont lead yourself to think OZ kids are little angles and UK kids are bad, there are total utter shi!s of kids here too.

Plus certainly dont assume schools are 'better' just cause its OZ, its hard to portray the reality on TV, for instance yesterday my kids went back, the classes were 38C with nothing but a ceiling fan to swirl the heat around, 'better' no not always. I would have loved to see a bbc camera filming the reality of red faced hot sweaty heat exhausted children, or the high school with day one kids lined up on a boiling oval for 70 minutes carrying a years supply of books.

Its not all perfect.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
gracie, dont forget this is television, they want to make it look great, please dont lead yourself to think OZ kids are little angles and UK kids are bad, there are total utter shi!s of kids here too.

Plus certainly dont assume schools are 'better' just cause its OZ, its hard to portray the reality on TV, for instance yesterday my kids went back, the classes were 38C with nothing but a ceiling fan to swirl the heat around, 'better' no not always. I would have loved to see a bbc camera filming the reality of red faced hot sweaty heat exhausted children, or the high school with day one kids lined up on a boiling oval for 70 minutes carrying a years supply of books.

Its not all perfect.
But thats reality, not glossy TV
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:48 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I watched two more of them yesterday, what a pile of cack.

How annoying is the presenter (I have no idea how to spell her name and can't be arsed to look)
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Halo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura about

Anyone know which suburb that 6-bed room house was in todays programme? It was Stunning!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:02 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Beenleigh!

jackie x
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:03 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing looked like upper gold coast rather than brisbane.

The first two were in beenleigh, and the school was in coomera, so I guess around there rather than brisbane itsself

Coomera has a fair few new houses .. http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2005904415

Last edited by datamile; Jan 29th 2007 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:05 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes but according to Nadia Swahala or whatever her name is...the gold coast is Brisbane!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I noted some of the houses for rent in QLD were around $1600 a week , probably helpful for people to understand most people on aussie wages would probably be looking at more around the $400 a week.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:17 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

I watched the prog today. What none of u have picked up on is that it is all v well voting Oz as 3 of the family did today but that woman really didn't have the relevant qualification to meet the criteria to teach in the state system so even if they want to go it might be impractical.

As for the bloke not liking the 3rd school because it was private, well, that might be the only way his misses could get a job, so he may have to swallow his principles eh (like Labour MP's eg Diane Abbot, and the atheists who ensure their kids go to the C of E school because it produces the best exam results).

My own view is that private ed' is an utter waste of money because GCSE's are such a doddle that any fool with a modicum of common sense can pass them with flying colours (even mine, who went to the worst performing comp in the town). Same with A'levels with the module feature so they're virtually unfailable . And universities seem to penalise kids who were educated privately. And if u want yr kid to do extra-curriclar activities like tennis or play the violin, they can do that outside of school.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:27 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

But exams aren't everything... Private schools teach confidence, people skills etc.. All the things that get you up the ladder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.