Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:45 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by hazey32

Hi all,
Just wondered what everyone thought of today's show? Seemed to me that the couple had absolutely no idea of how expensive Sydney was before they went. There was no mention of schools for their daughter - it seemed more important to them where to get a good cup of tea!!!!
Thought I would find this series really helpful but not entirely sure it's giving a true insight into Oz life.

Hazel
hi all,
just watched sydney episode dont you just want to scream at tv think about the lifestyle and opportunities for your family that you wont get here in uk.
seems all there thinking of is will they earn same money ?
we cant wait to get there
lesley
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:45 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Just wondered what everyone thought of today's show? Seemed to me that the couple had absolutely no idea of how expensive Sydney was before they went. There was no mention of schools for their daughter - it seemed more important to them where to get a good cup of tea!!!!
Thought I would find this series really helpful but not entirely sure it's giving a true insight into Oz life.

Hazel
The family DVD at the end is awful in that they are all thinking of themselves...there hasn't been that many peeps on there who have really encouraged them to live their dream and put aside there own feelings.

I have mixed feeling about the show....some are good some not so good. The continuous repeating of the title of the show and a summary of the families thoughts gets on my nerves. I am sure it would cut the show by 15 minutes if they didn't repeat it so much.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:50 am
Just Joined

hazey32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

the layout of the show is a bit annoying eh? I was just hoping that it would cover the important issues in each area thay went to...i don't care how easy it is to get a cup of tea or whether a couple think a tin roof is or isn't a good design feature of a home! Maybe I'm just being a meanie.

Hazel
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:52 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

As usual they chose the country option and ended up in a rental in Bondi which was 11/2 hours from the Barbers she was going to work at! I'm sure the BBC are trying to put people off Sydney - bad weather when they filmed and some odd houses - I did quite like the "Tin Hut" today though! The family had a great house in the UK so a lot to live up to.

I've been to a few places in NSW and I think this series has shown NSW at its worst - I've also been to Perth and Brisbane so can compare reality with TV.

After yesterdays posts thought I'd mention it was 3/4 lengths again (but last year in the UK lots of men were wearing them - I'm in favour of them myself more flattering than shorts on most men) but no trainers - sandals without socks - so trying hard to fit in! We were on a trip to a gorge near Cairns and u could definitely pick out nationality by footwear!) They were a bit whingy about the tea/coffee thing - its like that in the UK now tho - lots of coffee places.

Family messages were a bit more supportive today - no tears for a change.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Originally Posted by Issie
The family DVD at the end is awful in that they are all thinking of themselves...there hasn't been that many peeps on there who have really encouraged them to live their dream and put aside there own feelings.

I have mixed feeling about the show....some are good some not so good. The continuous repeating of the title of the show and a summary of the families thoughts gets on my nerves. I am sure it would cut the show by 15 minutes if they didn't repeat it so much.
Exactly. I find the DVD at the end of each show, awful. Not many family and friends say constructive things, like give it a go, life's too short etc...
Seems to be mainly, we will miss you( which they already know if they are good friends) dont want you to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They do repeat loads dont they. Also why look at houses above the families budget??? They seem to do this quite abit.
Still interesting to watch just to see the country and different areas!
Jackie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

yes it is good to see different places. Just makes me want to go now!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:12 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...Thought I would find this series really helpful but not entirely sure it's giving a true insight into Oz life...
It isn't... To be quite frank you'll be much better off spending many hours on here reading what people have to say... both good and bad... Ignore the extemes of both sides and you'll be getting a good idea of what it's like... Best of luck...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you. This place is really good and everyone is sooo helpful. Really appreciate it.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Yes - it's the 3/4 length hater trouser here again.
I have to say that despite the usual format weaknesses here, today's was a better programme. (I do have a job, honest !)
I agree with the imbalance of wages/house prices. I can't imagine what an employed hairdresser gets paid, but would it allow a big house near the capital? - same chance as the UK I would guess. Then again, we don't know their legacy. They may have a fortune stashed from a deceased relative, plus whatever the lady sold her UK business for.
What I do think is spot on is LesleyHunter79's post (is that your year of birth you youngster ??) about the lifestyle opportunities that are overlooked. Yesterday the barbie family said they had possums sleeping in their hanging baskets, kookaburras in the garden and the beach is an option everyday. Two or so shows ago, they looked at one house with an acre and koalas living in the trees.
Can someone put a price on that for me ??!!

On a closing note, I would just like to confirm I am neither Trinny nor Suzannah, but thought the chap carried his 3/4 trousers off very well - they suited him, he had a tidy pair of sandals - NO SOCKS (vital) and always had ether a collared shirt or a trendy t-shirt and a good hairstyle and I thought the lady was very stylish. Aaah, I'm almost proud to be British again - almost.

All this coming from me sitting here in my comfortable joggers, slippers and fleece top ! (but I'm not on the telly!)
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:22 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tofster
On a closing note, I would just like to confirm I am neither Trinny nor Suzannah, but thought the chap carried his 3/4 trousers off very well - they suited him, he had a tidy pair of sandals - NO SOCKS (vital) and always had ether a collared shirt or a trendy t-shirt and a good hairstyle and I thought the lady was very stylish. Aaah, I'm almost proud to be British again - almost.

All this coming from me sitting here in my comfortable joggers, slippers and fleece top ! (but I'm not on the telly!)
PMSL
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

It does really put you off sydney, and how constructive is it to show what you can buy for £8,500,000.00

No disrespect to me and everyone that watches bbc daytime tv, but i'm sure there aren't many people watching that has that sort of money to spend?

Seemed a bit pointless. Never fancied Sydney myself, but have considered suburbs in NSW maybe not too far from the city.

Also i agree, i was very confused at the "country" option, and them staying along the coast? Makes you wonder if they book everything for the show before they even choose which families are going?

And also a good point about the families kids, it gets on my nerves when they sit there sayin "i'll miss all my friends . . ."

I only keep in contact with one friend I had before the age on 18, and thats monthly txting and the occassional annual meet up. . . and she lives in the village next to mine! Guess I'm not cut out for long-term friendships.

Also thought it was very true that the dad in todays show said after the friends and family dvd, that the worlds a small place. My aunt moved to Oz when i was 5, my mum thought she'd never see her again, but all three of my cousins came over for 6 months last year, and my aunts been back 4 or 5 times in the last ten years.

I don't see how anyone can just assume that by moving abroad they will never see you again.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

It does really put you off sydney, and how constructive is it to show what you can buy for £8,500,000.00

---------------------------------------------------------

LOL !!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:53 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

When's Melbourne on??????????????

*pearly*
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
When's Melbourne on??????????????

*pearly*
Its isn't. Other posts in the thread say that they managed to forget about Melbourne
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its isn't. Other posts in the thread say that they managed to forget about Melbourne
I suppose it is very small and easy to miss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.