Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by curly
nope no confusion!!!!!!! that's what was said in the programme!!!!!! in POUNDS!!!!!
I quite believe that they said that, but its hysterical

I would do your own research, Ive already quoted the wages carpet layers are getting in brisbane, not the UK television show wages Another interesting point, a search on seek.com brought up just 2 carpet layers jobs in brisbane, one was not even for work in brisbane. Theres a shortage? umm.

I'd be checking the australian job situation, it seems quite different from the UK television version
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:10 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Im actually begining to find this programme incredibly fustrating

The figures regarding wages and mortgages never seem to add up to me.

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Jan 26th 2007 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

Hi Sarah Thanks For The Reply,and Info, I Hope You Pass Your Medicals,we Are Wondering If We Will Pass Our Trade Application !! , Once Youve Passed Your Meds And Got In Let Me Know How Life Is For You There,sure Things Be Much Better Than Here!!:d
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:35 pm
familyfriendlyhomes

familyfriendlyhomes is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an extreme shortage of skilled workers (tradies). Carpenters are paid extremely well. We have a building boom and all tradespersons are highly sought after. The Aust Government had a policy of encouraging school leavers in the last 20 years to get degrees rather than a trade. So this compounds the skills shortage as there are not enough older tradies to teach new apprentices. It may be many years before we see an end to this trades shortage. If you are a carpenter, migrating to Brisbane, you can most likely get a good job the first week you arrive. If they look for a job straight away, nearly all our guests on the skilled migrant program have a job in the first week or two.

Karen
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

The programmes have been informative but sometimes they make me hopping mad!

Take the one where the family were renting in Bournemouth (he was a painter & decorator). What really confused me was (1) the place they rented in Oz (huge 4 x 2) was half the rent they are paying per month in the UK (2) he found out that the wages were about the same as he was earning in the UK per week PLUS the bonus of having almost year-round employment not just seasonal which he has to put up with in the UK. So, when he then opted overall for the UK due to not being able to buy a property immediately I was very confused!

I know they have no equity and want to get on the property ladder (their main reason for the move) and feel they couldn't do so immediately but surely if they rented for a few years (which most do anyway, regardless of the equity they are bringing over) they could save enough to get a deposit of sorts. Lets not forget the wife could also find a job as the kids were 11 and 16.

Am I missing something here? Anyone else confused by this one or any other programme so far??

Karen

p.s. what qualifications do I need to get to fit carpets??? Should I look to retrain or take the BBC wages reference with a huge pinch of salt??
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyfriendlyhomes
If you are a carpenter, migrating to Brisbane, you can most likely get a good job the first week you arrive.
Karen
Carpenters require a trade licence, which holds them finanacially and legally liable for their work, carpenters should check the BSA website.

Few builders would employ anyone aussie or otherwise without one or they themself hold the legal and financial liability for other peoples work. We employ carpenters in brisbane the wage for qualified and licenced is up $25 - $35 an hour, that is not salary with holidays etc but job to job contracts, which is the way most are employed.

As a builder employing carpenters, not aware of any great shortage of carpenters in brisbane itself, there are jobs and plenty of people are going for them, including many aussies with all the expeience and quals. The housing market is steady more than boom.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:52 pm
familyfriendlyhomes

familyfriendlyhomes is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Australian (or new Australian) home purchasers use a Mortgage Broker. They can give you (free of charge) a very good picture on what home loan you might qualify for and which lender is most likely to give you a loan (they all have different criteria - the Mortgage Brokers know the Banks inner workings).

In Australia, we generally have a 20% equity to 80% lending ratio. Sometimes you can go to 100% lending. 20/80 pretty much no problem getting a loan.

A very basic house in Brisbane costs about Aus$300,000. Nice family homes, reasonably close to the city, in nice neighbourhoods cost about $420,000, homes in exclusive areas, reasonably close to the city are available from $500,000

Last edited by familyfriendlyhomes; Jan 26th 2007 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TheColebecks

Am I missing something here? Anyone else confused by this one or any other programme so far??

Karen

p.s. what qualifications do I need to get to fit carpets??? Should I look to retrain or take the BBC wages reference with a huge pinch of salt??

Sending you an ocean of salt.

We live in aus but saw a week of the show while in UK, hence the salt you will shortly be receiving
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sending you an ocean of salt.

We live in aus but saw a week of the show while in UK, hence the salt you will shortly be receiving
Thought as much
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by familyfriendlyhomes
We have an extreme shortage of skilled workers (tradies). Carpenters are paid extremely well. We have a building boom and all tradespersons are highly sought after. The Aust Government had a policy of encouraging school leavers in the last 20 years to get degrees rather than a trade. So this compounds the skills shortage as there are not enough older tradies to teach new apprentices. It may be many years before we see an end to this trades shortage. If you are a carpenter, migrating to Brisbane, you can most likely get a good job the first week you arrive. If they look for a job straight away, nearly all our guests on the skilled migrant program have a job in the first week or two.

Karen
Hya Karen
As a hairdresser Im on the skilled list as one of the most wanted skills - however the real reason for this is not because the govt is encouraging kids to go to college - rather than the trade continues to pay as little as AUS$20 per hour, that is after 4 years training! There would be no way I could afford to keep my family on my trades person wages in Australia.
I find the advertising of trades wanted from Australia quite distasteful as when we get there find financially we are as bad off as in the UK. We need to use my skill to get us into Australia but my husband will have to support us in his job as a surveyor - just like in the UK.
Louise
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I quite believe that they said that, but its hysterical

I would do your own research, Ive already quoted the wages carpet layers are getting in brisbane, not the UK television show wages Another interesting point, a search on seek.com brought up just 2 carpet layers jobs in brisbane, one was not even for work in brisbane. Theres a shortage? umm.

I'd be checking the australian job situation, it seems quite different from the UK television version
can't comment on the work situation in bris for carpet fitters but regarding the wages, i can't understand why everyone is so shocked at what the poor guy earns. he works his ass off, thats why! 13 hour days. i worked out on my uk wage, if i worked 13 hour days excluding 4 weeks for hols, my gross pay would be £56000! not going to do that, but as a tradie of any description will tell you, you can make good money if you put in a lot of hours, like the 65 hour week the carpet fitter knocks in
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:40 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheColebecks

Take the one where the family were renting in Bournemouth (he was a painter & decorator). What really confused me was (1) the place they rented in Oz (huge 4 x 2) was half the rent they are paying per month in the UK (2) he found out that the wages were about the same as he was earning in the UK per week PLUS the bonus of having almost year-round employment not just seasonal which he has to put up with in the UK. So, when he then opted overall for the UK due to not being able to buy a property immediately I was very confused!

I know they have no equity and want to get on the property ladder (their main reason for the move) and feel they couldn't do so immediately but surely if they rented for a few years (which most do anyway, regardless of the equity they are bringing over) they could save enough to get a deposit of sorts. Lets not forget the wife could also find a job as the kids were 11 and 16.

Karen

alot more than you have obviously got!! love do you think this trade is for thick people as a lot of you do on this site!!!! and yes the wages are correct what the bbc said do you think for 1 minute we would go otherwise!!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

ladydi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jones Family!
Please read thread #346....
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
alot more than you have obviously got!! love do you think this trade is for thick people as a lot of you do on this site!!!! and yes the wages are correct what the bbc said do you think for 1 minute we would go otherwise!!
No need to get ratty! I don't think anyone has said that carpet fitting is a trade for thick people. The BBC seem to have protrayed it as a trade that can bring in high wages, thats what people are commenting on. I haven't seen it so I don't know. Its quite possible that you could have landed a job earning that amount, however posters such as Jad n Rich who work with a lot of tradies, and have lived here for years, have no found that to be the case in their experience.
Its an example of what I warned about before the programmes were aired - remarks and comments taken out of context.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Hi Don & Sarah,

My husband and I watched your programme last night and were very interested - not in the carpet fitting, he's a chef - but in the 3rd house you visited. It was the community with the security gates etc. Can you recall the name of the place? We are hoping to go to the Gold Coast this year sometime and that's exactly the type of place I have in mind for us to live in so I would be really interested in finding out more about it.

Cheers! Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.