Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

back to the children being given way too much say over the move to oz, did anyone see the show on friday?
OMG the child was an absolute BRAT, she was grossly overweight and spent the entire time whinging about dolphins then refused to swim with them because the water was splashing her face!
What really got me was when the father said, although both him and his wife wanted to go "if billy decides its the uk then i guess we'll stay in the uk" the child was 10 for goodness sake.
It was infuriating!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:46 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tofster
Yes - it's the 3/4 length hater trouser here again.
I have to say that despite the usual format weaknesses here, today's was a better programme. (I do have a job, honest !)
I agree with the imbalance of wages/house prices. I can't imagine what an employed hairdresser gets paid, but would it allow a big house near the capital? - same chance as the UK I would guess. Then again, we don't know their legacy. They may have a fortune stashed from a deceased relative, plus whatever the lady sold her UK business for.
What I do think is spot on is LesleyHunter79's post (is that your year of birth you youngster ??) about the lifestyle opportunities that are overlooked. Yesterday the barbie family said they had possums sleeping in their hanging baskets, kookaburras in the garden and the beach is an option everyday. Two or so shows ago, they looked at one house with an acre and koalas living in the trees.
Can someone put a price on that for me ??!!

On a closing note, I would just like to confirm I am neither Trinny nor Suzannah, but thought the chap carried his 3/4 trousers off very well - they suited him, he had a tidy pair of sandals - NO SOCKS (vital) and always had ether a collared shirt or a trendy t-shirt and a good hairstyle and I thought the lady was very stylish. Aaah, I'm almost proud to be British again - almost.

All this coming from me sitting here in my comfortable joggers, slippers and fleece top ! (but I'm not on the telly!)
year of birth i wish no i was born in 68 but after 7 kids still looking good lol. dont think i could persuade my oh to wear sandals maybe its because we never have it warm enough to wear them here he suffers from lack of experience i can but try to persuade him. if not ,hes going to find it awfully hot and uncomfortable in his favourite (sorry to say it trainers)
were heading for goldcoast so have been watching this programme hoping for more info as yet i must agree found out more on here than i ever would watching "wanted down under"
keep up the good work everyone on here.for me its been a great help
lesley
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

They should have got her to practice in the pool with a snorkel first. The tantrum about how she tried, and failed so why should she try again was kinda amusing.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Please remember that many of the families in the programme are posting on the forum. Comments and criticism are one thing, but please don't get too personal guys; think how you would feel if your family was in the series.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I was amazed that the woman on yesterdays show who had re-trained as a teacher in order to get the visa, obviously had not looked into what exactly they were teaching in Australia certainly not Religious Studies anyway. I remember that subject from school and you only did one hour once a week, and it wasn't a compulsory subject when it came to choosing your GCSEs.

Dolly
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:56 pm

i agree they did let her get away with a bit much what about the part were she didnt feel like a proper family coz her mam and dad were divorced and wanted them to get married again (eh)
she acted much older than her 10 years i think the mam and dad should have put their foot down, at the end of the day most of us are doing this for our kids at 10 they dont know whats best for them that is supposed to be our job isn't it?
And i cant believe anyone would really believe a better life is staying in britain rather than oz.
lesley
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
i agree they did let her get away with a bit much what about the part were she didnt feel like a proper family coz her mam and dad were divorced and wanted them to get married again (eh)
she acted much older than her 10 years i think the mam and dad should have put their foot down, at the end of the day most of us are doing this for our kids at 10 they dont know whats best for them that is supposed to be our job isn't it?
And i cant believe anyone would really believe a better life is staying in britain rather than oz.
lesley
im not getting at the child im just saying no family would let a ten year old make a decision like that. Especdially to decide not to go if the child didnt want to she might love it after a few months once settled in and found new friends imagine if you never give it a go because of th children alone you would regret it at the end of the day if its so bad you can coe back, if you leave it too late your stuck you could never go to oz at all.end of story
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bethandneil
back to the children being given way too much say over the move to oz, did anyone see the show on friday?
OMG the child was an absolute BRAT, she was grossly overweight and spent the entire time whinging about dolphins then refused to swim with them because the water was splashing her face!
What really got me was when the father said, although both him and his wife wanted to go "if billy decides its the uk then i guess we'll stay in the uk" the child was 10 for goodness sake.
It was infuriating!
lol , can i join you
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I was amazed that the woman on yesterdays show who had re-trained as a teacher in order to get the visa, obviously had not looked into what exactly they were teaching in Australia certainly not Religious Studies anyway. I remember that subject from school and you only did one hour once a week, and it wasn't a compulsory subject when it came to choosing your GCSEs.

Dolly
Actually Religious Studies might be a good one for Aus - a lot of private schools here are church schools, esp Lutheran or Catholic, and you stand a far better chance of a job if you know about the religion, though not necessarily teaching it, even better if you follow it - many schools insist that even their admin staff practise the religion of the school.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
"One last thing, then I'll shut up (promise). Can someone please tell the guys on these shows that there are clothes shops in the UK that sell garments other than football tops, 3/4 cut off pants and trainers. He even had his footy shirt on when invited to someone elses barbecue !!!

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH...... .....!"

Just in the defence of all fathers and kids in this show, this program was filmed in the summer of last year when the world cup was in full flow & the nation’s pride was running high. Well, for the first 2 weeks of the competition anyway.
and today father did slip into a rugby top at one point as well, just for good measure. lol
you would think they were on the " costa " ... i hate it , i even hate when i go abroad on holiday ... for gods sake wear a nice shirt .

i like football but don't feel i have to tell everyone
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bethandneil
It was infuriating!
Hi.. I agree with where you are coming from but there was no need for the reference to the childs weight!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Phil & Chele
Hi.. I agree with where you are coming from but there was no need for the reference to the childs weight!!
puppy fat ? get swimming !!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Actually Religious Studies might be a good one for Aus - a lot of private schools here are church schools, esp Lutheran or Catholic, and you stand a far better chance of a job if you know about the religion, though not necessarily teaching it, even better if you follow it - many schools insist that even their admin staff practise the religion of the school.
Is it that schools dont teach religion or is it that its taught under another name like philosophy or something, I feel the show doesn't really help these families when they hit problems, they just film it, where was ms sawalalawalal and her infinate wisdom!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

where was ms sawalalawalal and her infinate wisdom![/QUOTE]

Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as I remember from school, our Religious Studies teacher taught us about all religions, not just one. Kind of like a "jack of all trades and master of none". I don't think that religious studies in this form was on the curriculum in the state school, at least not the one she was looking at anyway.

Dolly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.