Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Originally Posted by brits1
No its all good as peoples budgets are all different, I would find it a bit harder to live in a unit or terrace home as I have never lived in a small home...but I would if I had no choice, I would just be happy to have a home. They do have all of the above mentioned in Aus you know, by the way (I am being nosey now) where did you live in Aus?
I hear this nonsense all the time about houses being so big in Australia, the current trend is definitely downsizing, smaller houses on smaller blocks. As you rightly say it comes down to budget, we didnt have a big house in Australia by any means and it was a poorly built small house at that. Here we have a bigger house on more land that has been around for more than 400 years and doesnt look like going anywhere for another 400.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:02 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commonwealth

Here you go mate,
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:14 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Many thanks for putting it so well....I wish anyone well going to and living in Aus, we worked really hard while we lived there (as we do in the UK now) to work our way up the lifestyle ladder so to speak but a lot of new migrants think it happens just as they get off the plane, I know some good friends who live in Aus and its been soooooooo hard for them, they lost a business and their home after only 3 years in Aus but they are still trying to make it work in their own words "they wanted what most of their friends had in Aus and believed that they could do anything and earn money" but it had taken us and the rest of their friends years to get where we did.
Yes I agree, very well put indeed. The problem is that some whether deliberately, subconsciously or as a wind up appear to stick their fingers in the ears and chant the mantra 'lalala, I cant hear you'.
Just like you I wish anyone well who plans a new life anywhere but people need to open their eyes and their minds.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:17 pm
Banned

Many pertinent comments made in relation to the link posted, the madness has to stop soon.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:19 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

I know they are ridiculously huge. Phewwww glad that's sorted.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:20 pm
Banned

Still no sign of recession in Australia.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Still no sign of recession in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails Is Australia officially in a Recession-stop-posting-cat-paw.jpg  
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate you are wrong, the tens of thousands of houses I saw when I was in Australia were massive compared to the tens of thousands of mostly small houses here in the UK, not that I expect you to believe me, but it is clear it is the case in the housing in Australia link, you probably missed it.
you really are special aren't you?

i`ll type real slow so you can take this in

yes your average house in au is bigger than your average house in the uk
but and here is the reality

the average house in au is substantially more expensive than your average house in the uk

which means they COST more

for example

the average house cost in Perth is currently 600 thousand dollars
http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-...p&s=wa&u=perth

which give or take is about 380 thousand pounds, now i don't know where you live but i`m from Manchester the average house there is currently 148 thousand pounds
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...es/html/bn.stm

380 dived by 148 = approx 2.5
so you`d need to sell 2.5 average houses in Manchester to buy 1 average house in Perth

are the houses in Perth 2.5 times bigger than Manchester i think not

anyway bored of all this now you keep on drinking whatever is giving you that inflated sense of euphoria and i`ll get ready for work

regards Steve

edit
please note the current cost of housing in Perth is the lowest its been in a long time if i`d used May 2012 median price of 1.2 million plus you`d need five Manchester houses to buy one in Perth

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 23rd 2012 at 8:21 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:41 pm
Banned

I'm only talking about the size not the cost, the big fantastic state of the art houses like the ones in Australia would cost a fortune here in the UK, but that's another story, lets move on, I think I've proved my point.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only talking about the size not the cost, the big fantastic state of the art houses like the ones in Australia would cost a fortune here in the UK, but that's another story, lets move on, I think I've proved my point.
sorry you've gone from being a bit silly to complete fantasy island with that one

do you actually know anything about construction methods used in Au?

state if the art, would to me mean cost & power efficient housing neither would describe the vast majority of houses in au,

double glazing is all but non existent, only new houses would have any kind of insulation fitted as standard

typical house construction from Sydney upwards (northwards) would be timber frame with plasterboard internally and a layer of sarking ( plastic sheet ) with either brick or cladding veneer
hardly cutting edge i had a better designed garden shed in Manchester

catch you later, got to go to work, and keep a watch out for the plane

regards Steve

ps if you want to see an au house in detail look up my `on my way` thread where i show in great detail the refurbishment done on our present home

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 23rd 2012 at 9:49 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:25 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Your right, that's the world over, but it's a fact that houses in Australia overall are bigger practically than any other country.
Originally Posted by steve`o
no its not a fact

fact, is you get a bigger house if you pay more money for it,

ive seen this fallacy repeated year after year on here `i`m going to sell my terrace in Manchester and buy buy a huge house with a pool`
it don't work you get what you can afford to pay for

fact, houses currently being built are tiny due to housing generally being very expensive unless you want to live along way out,

sorry mate but from reading your posts you come over as being in ``dream land`` perhaps when you have finally moved out here, got a job and have actually experienced what your so quick to tell us, then perhaps, you`ll actually be in a position to ``tell us how it is`` at the moment all your doing is rattling on about how good life is in Australia based on government stats and hearsay, all from the comfort of your arm chair in the UK which is making you sound very naive and sorry to say it a little foolish

by the way just in case you want to know i`ve been living on the east coast for the last six years, bought a house, renovated it and started a new business its not all plain sailing its a lot of hard work

regards Steve
And there we have it in a nutshell, houses are bigger, yep they were, not so much now. Times have changed & the average block size has dramatically reduced.
I've been here nearly ten years & run my own business for nine of those years. Tiled main areas have reduced by over 40% in that time. Nine years ago the average living areas came in at 100-120m²
The average today is 60-80 m². The area I live was once cut out into 5 or 40 acre blocks they now squeeze 3 blocks onto a 5 acre subdivision.
Our old area in the U.K seems to be struggling to sell houses, just after we left prices boomed & the house along the street from my old house sold for twice what ours sold for. It's now been on the market for 4 years, never going to sell for ages because the prices have slumped by 1/4 from that high & the owner has languished in negative equity for the last 5 years.
Meanwhile houses here are making a slow recovery BUT the dollar has slumped from 3$ to the pound 10 years ago to about 1.50 ish. Excellent if your going back to the U.K, not so good if your selling your terrace in Doncaster & wanting a McMansion by the sea on the proceeds. There will be many more bread & jam McMansion owners in the near future. It's all good though because there's much more room for sitting in, besides with all this sun you never spend any time at your huge house anyway do you?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

here's a search for 4 bedroom houses with pools in 5 of the nice Brisbane suburbs, note how the CHEAPEST is 650k. The big fantastic state of the art houses are all 1million +.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/wit...rounding=false

Perth is more expensive than Brisbane.

sorry to say, but a hospital porters wages isn't going to pay for a big fantastic state of the art house in a nice suburb close to a CBD.

you can look forward to a new build estate full of other expats "living the dream" within 5ft of each other. Seeking out Bisto gravy and "british curries".
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

lets move on, I think I've proved my point.
Are you Mitt Romney?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are you Mitt Romney?
More Walter Mitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.