Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of
Default Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Eh? Where the f**k did this come from? Before making comments like this you need to search some history.
Stop swearing. It's not big, and it aint clever. Have a nice day.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

There was a poignant and exceptionally well written post here a couple of years ago which very well highlighted the need for people to not deprive their children of their grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins, etc. It also described a trapped and forlorn feeling that migrants experience here in their twilight years. A shame I can't find it again.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

The term "emigration failure" is interesting - it's as if it's commonly accepted that emigration is a forever move and you are a 'failure' if you don't live happily ever after. We have recently returned from 4.5 years in Oz, I don't see our emigration as a failure. On the contrary, experiencing a different culture has hugely enriched our lives as a family. I will never regret going, neither will I regret coming back. Many of the reasons stated for returning rang true for me, I feel more at home and connected to England and Yorkshire in particular. However we will most likely end up as ping pom poms, at some point in the future we will most certainly live in Australia again. I feel very privileged to have that choice

Yet again on this thread the simplistic attitude of many astounds me, you love England therefore you hate Australia and vice versa. Surely most people will find things they love/hate/like/dislike/feel ambivalent about in both countries!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Breaking it down:
  • ~70% stayed in Australia
  • ~40% of those who left Australia went to a country other than the UK

Interesting.
I didn't read it like that, you may well be right.

I read it that many decided to leave, but not all of them actually left.

BB
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toodlepip
The term "emigration failure" is interesting - it's as if it's commonly accepted that emigration is a forever move and you are a 'failure' if you don't live happily ever after. We have recently returned from 4.5 years in Oz, I don't see our emigration as a failure. On the contrary, experiencing a different culture has hugely enriched our lives as a family. I will never regret going, neither will I regret coming back. Many of the reasons stated for returning rang true for me, I feel more at home and connected to England and Yorkshire in particular. However we will most likely end up as ping pom poms, at some point in the future we will most certainly live in Australia again. I feel very privileged to have that choice

Yet again on this thread the simplistic attitude of many astounds me, you love England therefore you hate Australia and vice versa. Surely most people will find things they love/hate/like/dislike/feel ambivalent about in both countries!
Yes a very good point. We confuse what emigration has become with what it was. It can be anything we want it to be.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Another factor causing a significant number to return to the UK must be the hugely favourable exchange rate. For someone who has worked in Oz for years and is approaching retirement, has paid off their Australian house (maybe a rental property as well) and has a couple of hundred thousand in super they could live like kings back in the old country.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budawang
Another factor causing a significant number to return to the UK must be the hugely favourable exchange rate. For someone who has worked in Oz for years and is approaching retirement, has paid off their Australian house (maybe a rental property as well) and has a couple of hundred thousand in super they could live like kings back in the old country.
Too right. You would need to be dumb, to not at least consider returning, if that was your financial position
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My father just sold his house in Prestatyn for 90K GBP (They've moved into one of those places that has old people facilities now)..... When I crunch my numbers, property at that price would give me a lotto winners like existence in cash. It's bloody hard to ignore. 30 years x 2 of State and Federal Gov employ gives you a pretty bright outlook in Aus.

When my Aussie Wife heard my fathers sale price ... She said "If we get into trouble there is always the UK".... Can't believe she said that.

I'll be 60 in about 40 months time and can grab my super tax free at that time..... trouble is my youngest will only be 16 then...

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:14 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, but for decades it has been really difficult for people living and working in Australia to have the wherewithal to move back and I have several friends for whom it is now too late - they have kids and grandkids settled in Aus and they have missed their chance really. It is only now that we can do it with some degree of comfort. Our super should see us being very comfortable back in UK - time will tell, I guess!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, but for decades it has been really difficult for people living and working in Australia to have the wherewithal to move back and I have several friends for whom it is now too late - they have kids and grandkids settled in Aus and they have missed their chance really. It is only now that we can do it with some degree of comfort. Our super should see us being very comfortable back in UK - time will tell, I guess!
Should be able to holiday in Aus every year for a few months if needs be surely ? Keep one of those Combi Vans or similar and rock up to Rellies houses and away you go.

Probably see the grand kids even more in that situation. We dont have any yet.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed and not just the UK, make that half the planet.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Indeed and not just the UK, make that half the planet.
Government pensions are a factor though.... UK one isn't means tested Flaw there is my Wife couldnt get one.

That would / should be enough to pay rent If I decided to go that way.... a lot to think about. Doubt If I would do it though.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Government pensions are a factor though.... UK one isn't means tested Flaw there is my Wife couldnt get one.

That would / should be enough to pay rent If I decided to go that way.... a lot to think about. Doubt If I would do it though.
As it stands right now with the exchange rate in our favour, using your AUD super overseas would give you massively increased buying power.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toodlepip

Try telling that to a person who has flitted between the countries...
We could now, financially, move back, and find what we have now, maybe a cottage in a hamlet somewhere; the problem is we are spoilt in Melbourne and I think we would miss the city and even find ourselves a bit isolated in the UK..I think rose tints could apply too - even the winter might grate eventually.
It's a risk I won't take - for others, it's a risk worth taking at any price.

It's interesting: for many people the UK remains a yardstick : for us, Melbourne is. If I could get the right deal I could do well, but I like Australia.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Try telling that to a person who has flitted between the countries...
We could now, financially, move back, and find what we have now, maybe a cottage in a hamlet somewhere; the problem is we are spoilt in Melbourne and I think we would miss the city and even find ourselves a bit isolated in the UK..I think rose tints could apply too - even the winter might grate eventually.
It's a risk I won't take - for others, it's a risk worth taking at any price.

It's interesting: for many people the UK remains a yardstick : for us, Melbourne is. If I could get the right deal I could do well, but I like Australia.
Your correct on this one Badge.... Everytime I have a moment of financially induced weakness, I'll remember where I live and also my mind changing time in Chester... Especially as trips to places like Chester were driving my original thoughts re possible retirement to the UK.

Cant easily buy what we have here in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.