Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

What do you make of this ? I think in the UK the "stuff to do" is more packaged / or organised where here you have to go and find it.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Several returnees mentioned ''boredom'' in Australia,
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Yes I agree to a large extent, there is plenty of DIY stuff to do in both countries but yes here you probably have to make your own way here more.

Originally Posted by themerlin
What do you make of this ? I think in the UK the "stuff to do" is more packaged / or organised where here you have to go and find it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:17 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

This is similar to how I view the "no culture in Australia" point - in the UK I found the type of culture I enjoyed much easier to access through decent newspapers, radio, TV, pubs, restaurants and local amenities in nearby reasonably sized towns like arts centres & small theatres, as well as the glittering delights of major cities an hour or two away. Here we are marooned in suburbia & have to go into Sydney CBD for anything decent - it's not necessarily a problem but there is no choice as opposed to feeling immersed in it or surrounded by options.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:19 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The boredom factor can be clinically managed with frontal lobe surgery, diazepam or a TAFE course.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
This is similar to how I view the "no culture in Australia" point - in the UK I found the type of culture I enjoyed much easier to access through decent newspapers, radio, TV, pubs, restaurants and local amenities in nearby reasonably sized towns like arts centres & small theatres, as well as the glittering delights of major cities an hour or two away. Here we are marooned in suburbia & have to go into Sydney CBD for anything decent - it's not necessarily a problem but there is no choice as opposed to feeling immersed in it or surrounded by options.
I say : choose to live in places where you have access, or are kept busy.

Suburbia can be a problem, middle of nowhere can be a problem. Papers and media are now accessible online.

I've visited a house thus afternoon and the place was littered with paintings, photos, skiing, polo, and tennis: all big concerns. School
Presidents, pilots, a judge, farmer, photos of military ancestors, head of family with members of Royal Family. A young, almost effete, doctor introduced as a cousin once removed, clear English accent. A bloke in crimson corduroy trousers - haven't seen that since the British military academies...

I find it incredible that in a country of Bogans that there is so much culture...finesse and style...I wish some of you could have been there!

It felt like being back in the old country..
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:32 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

carpenters are often boring.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The boredom factor can be clinically managed with frontal lobe surgery, diazepam or a TAFE course.
What's the most cost-effective way?

TE; when was the last time you anti-fouled your boat; that's a riveting job if I remember!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:37 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What's the most cost-effective way?

TE; when was the last time you anti-fouled your boat; that's a riveting job if I remember!
The boat is being anti-fouled in two weeks actually! I shall be scraping off the bastard barnacles and painting the damn thing. The sea cocks need changing too. A real bummer of a few days. I shall self-medicate on energy drinks to help me through.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: This article should be compulsory reading for anyone planning to emigrate

Originally Posted by JustBecause
When we lived in the UK, our nearest town was Walsall (no culture) and the nearest city was Birmingham (lowbrow culture). For anything decent we had to visit London or Edinburgh (the Fringe was good fun; wanted to see the Military Tattoo but never got around to it).

Consequently I spent a lot of time listening to Radio 4. In fact, I found it was the only channel worth listening to.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:38 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and something that south africans will never have
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
When we lived in the UK, our nearest town was Walsall (no culture) and the nearest city was Birmingham (lowbrow culture). For anything decent we had to visit London or Edinburgh (the Fringe was good fun; wanted to see the Military Tattoo but never got around to it).

Consequently I spent a lot of time listening to Radio 4. In fact, I found it was the only channel worth listening to.
I'm a big downloader of Radio 4 comedy. The news quiz is a nice weekly soupçon from Blighty.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm a big downloader of Radio 4 comedy. The news quiz is a nice weekly soupçon from Blighty.
Radio 4? Just a minute....
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Radio 4? Just a minute....
Between radio 3 and 5
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Between radio 3 and 5
Gotcha.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yilt
You're getting personal now. Afterall, you started it. Chill, relax and be nice.
Eh? Where the f**k did this come from? Before making comments like this you need to search some history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.