Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by OzExpat
If I had to do that there is no way I would've moved to the USA!
I hear you. I actually work for myself so I'm having to suck it up at the moment. . Quite a worry as obviously it won't get cheaper the older I get !
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
The move has nothing to do with living expenses - most of hubby's work is now based in the US and plus a majority of our family are settled there. Anyway, we still have a long time to decide.
Ah fair enough good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I understand the dilemma mate. Generally when people move to Aus it's not been an overnight decision, years of hard work get you to that point and in that time things can change and what do you do?

I guess the GFC has really made a difference and that's the sad part. I was talking to some friends who moved here years ago at the same time as us and we reminissed about how exciting it all was, and how life in general was better here than UK as you got more house for your money and food was relatively inexpensive and petrol compared to UK was a fraction of what it is today. As one poster said, you could eat steak for breakfast it was that cheap

Now however day-2-day living has increased so much that most people live hand to mouth and that includes well paid people as well. Also finding jobs as an established migrant is harder today due to the GFC and a new migrant will generally find it much harder as the Aussie job market prefers Aus experience. This is probably less of an issue if you are prepared to do anything with crap wages, but most skilled migrants expect a certain level of salary as they are the main wage earners so it's not as simple as just finding anything as you need a decent job with decent salary to live....

The positive thing is life will get better, things will return one day. This is a cycle that happens once every 20 years. If everyone can ride the rough waves for a few years things will get better. But the whole point of this is anyone coming here today with the current exchange rate and current COL will find it MUCH tougher than it was years ago when we arrived.

Aus is a fab place to live - but it aint no cheap paradise that's for sure.
yep, here here, if you can afford to stick it out and it's what you want, it will all come good - its a fab place to be. If not, wait a few more years and see how it goes. Life can be great in any country. Ps meant to say nanas are less than 1€ per kilo at mo.

Last edited by Ruthyman; Jan 8th 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Importation of tigers is prohibited, so no bread can be made with Tiger...
aaaahhhh you craked a joke!!!!

tiger bread is a weird concept Tiger zizi on the other hand is apparently really something else - can I say zizi here?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

You really preferred me to compare ALL of the Falcons and Mondeos from your source.... and roll your eyes because I didn't, and I just compared two that were the same price, one of your other stated points ...

OK...

Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 5.9 L/100km 7.3 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6E 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XT 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.1 L/100km 15.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6E Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.3 L/100km 17.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.3 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 E 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.6 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12.5 L/100km 17.1 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-E 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-P 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.6 L/100km 19.4 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-P 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.6 L/100km 19.4 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12.7 L/100km 16.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.1 L/100km 17.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.3 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon GS 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 14 L/100km 19.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon GS 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 14.2 L/100km 20.5 urban
I like cars, but, wow thats something else!

soz, forgot to add the ubiquitous )

Last edited by Ruthyman; Jan 8th 2011 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Credit card debt has hardly changed. Many survive on less than the average wage, we do
have you got a mortgage?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I checked this out, and your not far off the mark.

Blimey !

Someones going to get very wealthy.

wait until ou start getting charged GST - wot
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
have you got a mortgage?
I once worked out that if we had an average mortgage, we would have to either increase our wages to about $85k, OR cut out the private schooling, investments and overseas trips.

Everyone has individual needs, or wants, and standards of living.

I always think of two (single) people that I know.
1: Gross income $80k and renting, and has no money to spare for anything.
2: Gross income of about $40k with a mortgage, and always having trips away.

Personally I can't see how either of them manage to be in the position they are. But they are. Therefore people can be.

What is impossible for some, is actually possible for others...

I am in the middle of those two, but with a family and private schooling to cover, and you should see my wifes shopping bills

Oh xxxx... you should also see her 'excess baggage fees' for her shopping trips.... Wonder how much it will have been today....

Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Ps meant to say nanas are less than 1€ per kilo at mo.
How much is that in 'normal' money ? £ or A$

99c kg still, at my local fruit shop, which I was somewhat surprised at, given the floods up north.

Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

How much is that in 'normal' money ? £ or A$

99c kg still, at my local fruit shop, which I was somewhat surprised at, given the floods up north.
Fruit and veg is often in cold storage for up to a year. Bananas and apples are often sold long after they are picked, apples up to a year

Price increases shouldnt flow on till the stock has been used up, but I think we might see the rises long before that!!

We currently have this big pool salt shortage going on, either cant buy any or its doubled overnight. The reason? they cant get it out of north qld. We had a heap of pool salt in the sheds, took a look interesting that its product of South Australia and NSW. I appreciate the qld stuff may have stopped but what about all the other stock from other states

One of the teens works part time in hardware, on Friday, pre ration he had to help a guy load 20 bags of pool salt into his Daewoo lanos, said by time it was all in, the car was nearly on the bitumen, wheels flat like pancakes, but the guy insisted he had it all.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god, not a pool salt shortage! How I feel for you all. Are the aid agencies rushing in to help? Is there a donation line set up yet?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Oh my god, not a pool salt shortage! How I feel for you all. Are the aid agencies rushing in to help? Is there a donation line set up yet?

Current affair perhaps - aussie battlers do it tough, pool salt $50 a bag..

Let them use chorine says " prince AUSSIE mary of Denmark " shes an aussie you know

Aussie pools green up, Centerlink gives green pool grant.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Oh xxxx... you should also see her 'excess baggage fees' for her shopping trips.... Wonder how much it will have been today....
Post/courier is key. Used HK Post for shopping on way back in July.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:19 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Fruit and veg is often in cold storage for up to a year. Bananas and apples are often sold long after they are picked, apples up to a year

Theres actually not a lot wrong with that. My Dad used to grow apples and we used to cold store them for the whole year, thats how folk used to do it before everything got processed and preserved and fridges and freezers were invented. I'm reading a book on self suffiency and theres ways to store stuff that I couldnt, with my best imagination, have thought of!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Post/courier is key. Used HK Post for shopping on way back in July.
I use www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk for my excess shopping, fab service and not too expensive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.