Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Wikiposts

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Seasider
Glad to hear it - well the second part, if not the first. I'm looking for somewhere to stash a tidy sum of money (not mine) for a few years; any good term deposit deals going?
Unfortunately rising rates are only happening for borrowers in the UK, not savers (yet), if official rates rise later in the year that should change.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Davesax
Haven't been keeping up with the thread but the title is ironic now with the soaring inflation / intrest rates in the UK .

At least you get payback with the lifestyle in Oz, and guess who just booked a one way flight to Perth
Not if you've got no money it doesn't. Besides if you make good money in the UK life is good as well.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So, in answer to the thread title, no one is. Possibly because it's easier said than done.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So, in answer to the thread title, no one is. Possibly because it's easier said than done.
I know someone who did, and he was on about $180k.

From the tread it seems like several are considering it (I'm not BTW).
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Wow that has taken me about 3 days on and off to read thorugh that!!! I'm with Ruthyman and heading back to France at the end of the year. It is not all about the cost of living but certainly the house prices do play a big part in it and cost of living. Of course that is not the only reason, sick parents in teh UK, wanting my kids to be bi-lingual again etc etc also plays a big part in our decision. I was shocked when coming home to Oz 2.5 years ago just how much things have changed adn not just economically here

Like any decision there are always going to be a lot of factors that come into play. Every country has its pluses and minuses - it is a case of working out your priorities at any one time and going with that.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:10 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Three families I know have just come home.

They are on good incomes as well and just find it so tough out there

Its not good at the moment

Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Three families I know have just come home.

They are on good incomes as well and just find it so tough out there

Its not good at the moment

t

They're in for a shock then because the recession hit the uk 10 times worse than Aus
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

t

They're in for a shock then because the recession hit the uk 10 times worse than Aus
He is not kidding you.It is scary how much of a roller coaster ride it is in the uk ,and not much chance of a rapid recovery,
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie brown
He is not kidding you.It is scary how much of a roller coaster ride it is in the uk ,and not much chance of a rapid recovery,
Yep. There's always someone worse off than you
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:23 am
Just Joined

flyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really niceflyertoff1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by isgraham
Not if you've got no money it doesn't. Besides if you make good money in the UK life is good as well.
Hi the uk? Well let me just say unless you have an established business that will guarantee your income and you dont mind soaring crime rate come back! But let me tell you i would swap my 300,000 4 bed semi with double garage in Hornchurch in essex for your position! and my vw transporter gsxr 1100 and bmw coupe 2300 3 series, diesel ford focus 09 and my mother in law! no seriously dont be rash the grass is always greener!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyertoff1
no seriously dont be rash the grass is always greener!
Ain't that the truth................
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flyertoff1
Hi the uk? Well let me just say unless you have an established business that will guarantee your income and you dont mind soaring crime rate come back! But let me tell you i would swap my 300,000 4 bed semi with double garage in Hornchurch in essex for your position! and my vw transporter gsxr 1100 and bmw coupe 2300 3 series, diesel ford focus 09 and my mother in law! no seriously dont be rash the grass is always greener!
I did come back and it has been a very good decision financially for me. I have a far higher standard of living than I had in Sydney. Don't get me wrong but I love Australia but not enough to commit financial suicide. I'm just going to sit in the uk saving a few thousand pounds every month until I can move back and buy a place somewhere I'd actually want to live.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:48 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

t

Recession never hit Aus. We have been effectively untouched throughout the pain the ROW has been experiencing. When it does come (as is inevitable in the natural boom/bust economy cycle), it will certainly shock a lot of people here.

Make hay when times are good, live within your means, save for the rainy day.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Recession never hit Aus. We have been effectively untouched throughout the pain the ROW has been experiencing. When it does come (as is inevitable in the natural boom/bust economy cycle), it will certainly shock a lot of people here.

Make hay when times are good, live within your means, save for the rainy day.
There was a major downturn here in the early 80's mostly to do with a drought... farmers were killing of most of their livestock You could buy sides of Lamb, for probably the equivalent of 20 to 25 bucks in todays prices. That period was the only time I'm ever seen this country really suffer. Seemed to be lots of unemployment and a nationwide pessimistic attitude.

It w.as similar in feel to the 3 day week, which I recall in my early working life back in the UK.

Point is we have definitely had bad times nationwide in Aus.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Deb68's hubby
For me you have two paths to go down, the one your on now trying to make a go of it and finding it a struggle but hey your here and lets crack on, OOOORRRRR..... You can go back to your original country and probably find yourselves in a simular or worse situation than the one you think you are in here right now.
Don't forget this is a new start for most, a new way of life and most definitely a cost learning curve.
Yes it's expensive here, but it is that for everyone, and not everyone has a bank full of money or a bank back in the old country full of money to fall back on, shit most come here with very little or nothing, and they make a go of it.
I see it like this, most who come here think it's a dream like fantasy based on shows like 'wanted down under', the grass is always greener...yeah right.
We come from England, and it was bad when we flew out god knows whats going on now, all my old work mates are saying it's shit, and wishing they was where we are, i have explained that it is lovely here, but you still got to pay bills and feed the family, savings only last so long without a job to keep savings savings.
So if you want to come here to surf and beach watch, make sure you have over a zillion whatever in money or be prepared to work hard (when you get a job) and live a normal day to day life, like most natural born Australians who have lived here for ever. Think of the people who emigrated to your own countries and how you felt towards them, but think about it they are doing what you are doing now. Just that they are getting on with it and not crying and moaning about exchange rates and how much things are here, i am pissed off at beer prices here, so what have i done? STARTED BREWING MY OWN not moaned just got on with it, a bit like most things here - just crack on mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.