Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Wikiposts

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:19 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just to add, as this thread is now turning into a discussion about loaves, I eat white bread, I'm happy to eat white bread, I don't think it tastes like "floppy plastic" and, given that most bread sold is still your average white bread, I think you lot are a bunch of snobby liars
Agreed
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:54 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am getting fed up of people talking about bread makers, I may need to get one to be part of the in-crowd, they seem so popular...
You do ... works out cheaper than a good loaf of bread, but more importantly you get to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
You do ... works out cheaper than a good loaf of bread, but more importantly you get to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread
You then put on several kilos because of all the fab bread you're suddenly eating.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

Extortionate housing and food and living costs eat away at savings.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

To me Immigration is a scam. And Australia makes millions out of it.

People need to wake up and think about the nightmare and not the dream.

I find this thread very interesting, as I, like others on here have ONLY been able to live this life in Australia!

We battled for 5 years in the rental market, trying to save to buy a house, and my hubby suffered 2 redundancies in 2 years. We moved here, and within 2 years we both got well paid jobs (same industry, yet i'm on 3times the salary I was on in UK) we had a mortgage on a house, and had 2 cars.

I am so lucky to be here, in this situation, and it was worth every penny!

When I leave the house at 7am, and the sky is pure blue, with no clouds, and it's already 25 degrees - no-one can stop me smiling about it. Life is good, and we are happy, and this would not have been the case if we had spent the last 3 years in the UK.

We're in Adelaide, so housing is very cheap. I agree supermarkets aren't especially cheap, and I would say that alot of costs are on a par with UK - however they money doesnt buy fantastic weather.

We're going back for a hol to UK in August for 4 weeks, and i look forward to seeing my friends and family. But afterwards, I will also look forward to coming home to my 4 bedroom house and huge garden, knowing that it cost me less than their tiny poky 3 bedroom semi detached place
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Read in the news today that prices of daily use household things are expected to surge further northwards due to Queensland floods. For sooks - The worst is yet to come.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:33 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys for the tiger bread info
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with you people using bread makers? Buy flour and yeast and make your own! There is nothing quite as therapeutic as kneading bread dough.

I bake at least 2 loaves of bread per week - all hand made (don't own a breadmaker) and have never made just plain white. My husband's favourite it cheese & onion loaf and I like sundried tomato with herbs.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What's wrong with you people using bread makers?
I don't want to ruin my nails.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I don't want to ruin my nails.
I've found it improves mine. Must be the yeast. The kneading cleans under the nails beautifully as well.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've found it improves mine. Must be the yeast. The kneading cleans under the nails beautifully as well.
Remind me never to eat any home made bread at your gaff.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You are absolutely right, I worked in a cake factory making eccles cakes when I was a student and my nails were never better.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 5th 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Not quitting Aus yet, although I have found living costs to be truly extortionate! Am on holiday now and find most things are hugely over priced, not just 30-40% higher but in some cases over-priced 4-5 times!!

Plan to stick it out for another 4-5 years and then eventually move to the US.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IndieG
Not quitting Aus yet, although I have found living costs to be truly extortionate! Am on holiday now and find most things are hugely over priced, not just 30-40% higher but in some cases over-priced 4-5 times!!

Good luck getting in!! Seems very hard
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
I'll stick with Aus thanks, the USA has serious problems.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
the USA has serious problems.
Not for everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.