Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Wikiposts

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Weebie
You obviously haven't in Australia in the past few years. Its double 3 times the cost in many things.
I have, and I have lots of the hubbies familey over there. Unfortunatly, it was never going to stay as cheep as it was (espesially with so much money coming into the country) and all I was saying is to do your reserch on what you feel your cost of living is going to be, so your not shocked when you get there and if it truly is the right move for you. A lot of people went because of the exchange rate (which is in the pooper now) and because it was cheaper to live.

I still belive that while the cost of living may have gone up, the wages can still be better so you sort of absorbe the changes, it may be almost as expensive as the UK to live but the wages seem to compensate that. I'm sure thats not the same in every ocupation so thats why people should really look long and hard at why they are coming over.

That again is still only my opinion
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australia was too cheap for too long and since then the economy has changed forever.
Could you expand please, in what way has Australia's economy changed forever?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Bit late in on this one and I see many people are going against what the OP says. Its a bit drastic but I agree with most of what he says. We came 6 months and ago and Oz is a big time rip off. Mainly due to the exchange rate yes but when a book here costs 3 times the price of one in the UK (and that includes shipping it here) then somethings not right.

Nearly everything is dearer. OP mentioned its a scam and obviously its not but his point is that people may not realise how expensive it is until they get here as they're reading its 'swings and roundabouts'. We didn't know and look on BE a lot.

Anyone who comes over now will have a heart attack at prices. People who have been here > 2 years don't really know the difference as the UK is so cheap for everything now in light of the recession. Its so expensive here I even get my mags (Boxing monthly and 442) subscribed from the UK and its still cheaper. Sunglasses - $550. Same ones on ebay shipped from US - $200. Clothes - same story. They say its because the stuff needs to get shipped from China but how does made in China stuff get to the UK - which is further. Oz is an easy place to get ripped off. but if you are careful and a bit savvy its okay.

Most people are right though - if you don't like it then obviously you can go back. The standard of living here is so much higher and unfortunately now you have to pay for it. No one forced us to come here though ;-)

p.s eating out prob a bit cheaper and much higher standard. Food in Uk sucks
A poor GBP:AUD exchange rate does not make Australia a rip off, it just means there is an unfavourable exchange rate if you chose to make that comparison.

Although whenever I want to quickly get a feel for whether something is particularly expensive in Australia or not, I would not use the latest spot rate to make a quick conversion, I would use a long run average. Australian retail outlets can hardly be expected to drop their prices in line with sterling.

I came here and have not had a heart attack yet about prices. I do think it is swings and roundabouts when it comes to cost of living, with the exception of my rent, but once we sell up and buy here that will right itself.

Food in UK sucks. What a ridiculous statement. Very cliched, you will be saying Brits eat nothing but potatoes, boiled ham and cabbage next.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
... you will be saying Brits eat nothing but potatoes, boiled ham and cabbage next.
Can't stand cabbage.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

I've just a done a quick shop at coles to see how much it would be compeared to my weekly shop at Tescos, buying the stuff I would normally buy and belive it or not, even after currency conversion, it came up slightly cheaper (not by much mind).
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
A poor GBP:AUD exchange rate does not make Australia a rip off, it just means there is an unfavourable exchange rate if you chose to make that comparison.

Although whenever I want to quickly get a feel for whether something is particularly expensive in Australia or not, I would not use the latest spot rate to make a quick conversion, I would use a long run average. Australian retail outlets can hardly be expected to drop their prices in line with sterling.

I came here and have not had a heart attack yet about prices. I do think it is swings and roundabouts when it comes to cost of living, with the exception of my rent, but once we sell up and buy here that will right itself.

Food in UK sucks. What a ridiculous statement. Very cliched, you will be saying Brits eat nothing but potatoes, boiled ham and cabbage next.
You must have got a good cardiovascular system if you have not had any chest pains yet. If a book is 10 pounds in the UK its $30 here. If the exchange rate was 3-1 like it was then that makes it okay. But the rate now is 1.6. So that makes Oz expensive. Unfortunately I'm looking at buying the book now, not 20 yrs ago

Oz retail outlets charge what they can because Ozzies haven't got a clue. Its not in their nature to shop around and they're enjoying the good times. Lets see how long that lasts

And yes food in UK definitely sucks. if I go for 10 meals roughly half will be poor, 3 average, 2 good. here 9 will be very good and 1 naff. Definitely higher quality of food. Everyone knows most British people don't have a clue about food. They eat a naff curry after 10 pints and say 'ooh its so tasty...yum yum' puke up, wish they stuck to fish and chips and go home. not that I'm one to generalise or anything

p.s just went to the Davy Jones sale in Sydney armed with a $50 voucher from work. Shirts on average $140 (thats 30% off). Ties $95 (same 30% off).

I bought the same shirt off the House of fraser website for $75 (free shipping to oz) and the tie from the Paulsmith website for $60. Will give voucher to my mrs. May get a box of chocolates out of $50 ;-).

Last edited by itxrd; Jan 3rd 2011 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kamie26
I've just a done a quick shop at coles to see how much it would be compeared to my weekly shop at Tescos, buying the stuff I would normally buy and belive it or not, even after currency conversion, it came up slightly cheaper (not by much mind).
You must have bought everything that was on offer ;-)
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

And yes food in UK definitely sucks. if I go for 10 meals roughly half will be poor, 3 average, 2 good. here 9 will be very good and 1 naff.
I'd have a word with your butler about sacking cook if I were you.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And yes food in UK definitely sucks. if I go for 10 meals roughly half will be poor, 3 average, 2 good. here 9 will be very good and 1 naff. Definitely higher quality of food.
I guess it depends on where you go to eat. I've had crap meal out here and I've had crap meals out in the UK. Also had excellent and very good in both places. Unfortunately I've lost my spreadsheet which gives exact figures.

I've ignored the rest of your post as the comments were fairly ridiculous. In my opinion anyway.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spreadsheet ha ha very good

Seems like a lot of people that are here can't accept that everything in the garden is not rosy. Anyone who says Oz is not expensive is delusional.

People coming to Oz - its too late for us but you can save yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

. not that I'm one to generalise or anything
Perish the thought...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kamie26
How did you manage that when Coles doesn't sell much of what you can buy in Tesco... or vice versa for that matter.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I guess it depends on where you go to eat. I've had crap meal out here and I've had crap meals out in the UK. Also had excellent and very good in both places. Unfortunately I've lost my spreadsheet which gives exact figures.

I've ignored the rest of your post as the comments were fairly ridiculous. In my opinion anyway.
Going to be be an interesting poster, as evenhanded at his barbs for both Aussies and Brits.

Got me going on two points.... Food... Most UK people think that Kebabs there are great... couldnt' be more wrong... Never heard of any UK Kebab shops baking their own bread (there has to be some surely ???) and that filling stuff that disguises itself as meat, should be rebranded Lamb Spam.

As for Ozzies not comparing shopping... wrong, thats why we have so many small retailers.

Still carry on Itxrd... you'll keep the mods busy and I personally luv that We need more posters like you.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 3rd 2011 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Spreadsheet ha ha very good

Seems like a lot of people that are here can't accept that everything in the garden is not rosy. Anyone who says Oz is not expensive is delusional.

People coming to Oz - its too late for us but you can save yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think you read the same way as the rest of us. Most are of the opinion that NOWHERE is rosy. Shit happens everywhere which in turn encourages the roses to grow. Most people are aware that there is a relatively high cost of living, what they're pointing out is that it's the same in the UK and most other places.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Going to be be an interesting poster, as evenhanded at his barbs for both Aussies and Brits.

Got me going on two points.... Food... Most UK people think that Kebabs there are great... couldnt' be more wrong... Never heard of any UK Kebab shops baking their own bread (there has to be some surely ???) and that filling stuff that disguises itself as meat, should be rebranded Lamb Spam.
Bit of an insult to Spam I'd have thought. Can't bear the stuff myself but UK kebabs (in my experience) feral.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=moneypenny20;9075724]I don't think you read the same way as the rest of us. Most are of the opinion that NOWHERE is rosy. Shit happens everywhere which in turn encourages the roses to grow. Most people are aware that there is a relatively high cost of living, what they're pointing out is that it's the same in the UK and most other places]

Moneypenny - When you say 'most' I count 3.

I've finally finished reading the thread and there's at least that many people + more who reckon Oz IS more expensive. The only thing is the other dudes have made their point and moved on. You guys keep lingering around ;-)

Our little tete a tete is funny but I'm writing this for people thinking of moving now. Not 5 yrs ago but now. For you - this moneypenny chick don't know what she's talking about. It's not the same as the UK and other places. Its a fair bit more expensive.

Why is it cheaper to ship clothes, books, magazine from the UK and get them shipped here than to buy the same thing already here?

Where else is the average wage to house price 6-1? Oh the states and UK before the bubble burst. But thats another thread...

You guys its a great country and there's loads of positives. The one main negative though is that if you expect to me financially better or maybe even the same as in the UK you better hope your Oz salary is > twice the UK one. If not you will be worse off. Thats just the way it is. The positives still outway the negatives though

When did you move here anyway moneypenny?

p.s On the Uk food thing - if you ask any person from outside of the UK (apart from Dorothy) who have been there they will all say UK food is kak. You guys will eat anything ;-)

Last edited by itxrd; Jan 3rd 2011 at 4:25 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.