Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Wikiposts

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A year ago I did the same for some books for my daughter, but I am finding things different now.
Why do you think that is? Have Book Depository cottoned on to how many Australian residents are buying from them? Surely we should be better off with the strength of the A$?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Wages
2003 average male full time wage $1,034.10
2010 average male full time wage $1,414.50
That's a 36.7% increase over 7 years

Consumer Price Index
Sep-2003 142.1
Sep-2010 173.3
That's a 21.2% increase over 7 years

My Council rates
My 2003 rates were $888.90
My 2010 rates were $1,228.74
An increase of 38.2% over 7 years

My electric costs (Average Kwh unit)
2003 was $0.114
2010 was $0.175
An increase of 53.5% over 7 years

We arrived in QLD in 2003.

Car Rego
2003 Rego on our Daewoo was $584.80
In 2010 it was $655.25
An increase of 12% over 7 years (same car)
We have been here almost 6 years and I can assure you that my husbands wages have not increased that much.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Yep. Currently in France, not utopia but have more feeling of possibility.
Left for two reasons - short term family reasons (France) and if we liked it we would stay (long term finances).

Immediate differences are lifestyle - UK to Oz to France varies greatly and depends on what you want / need. Highly individual and not able to be compared. Either you like something or you don't. Nowhere is perfect and compromises almost always need to be made.

Having close family (several generations) and two children has provided an excellent reason to stay for the moment. Could happen in any country. As it happens my kids need their memere and pepere and ditto back.

Excellent schooling that is relatively free is another. Includes free after school tutorials twice a week if required as you need to earn the right to progress to the next school year. Experience in oz was fundamentals not really taught well and at many inner city (very well thought of) schools kids relied on extra tutoring after school - kumon anyone?

Of course varies from school to school, but even in my day private school was generally the best option in terms of facilities, quality of teachers and old school network for jobs. As an aussie it helps to have a nice school on your CV.

Excellent schooling starts at approx age 3yrs. Equiv in Oz for a nursery is a small mortgage or your rental per month, even taking into consideration 3/4 yrs olds grants. Yes I know UK is worse - been there too, but we had the income to support it, Oz was different in that respect-much harder to earn money as its simply a smaller market and more competition. Make sure your income level can really support you.

Kids eat sit down 4 course meals at low price. No more sitting on bums in school playground talking with mouths full. On the other hand we do have to eat frog occasionally...

Kids happily bilingual with great accents in both languages and starting to learn 3rd language at primary school level.

Food - scraping by at lidl is not the same as scraping by at lidl in Oz. For one, the baguettes are only 80 centimes each and sourced from one of several boulangeries and not the local supermarket, and for another a certain percentage of food must be sourced locally. Exotic fruits are accessible due to colonies and we pay less than $1 AUD a kilo at the moment.
Can't buy cheap french lamb but can still get my NZ lamb fix for about 12€ (mmmm). Do get very cheap pork, free mushrooms (cepes, momorellestc) (loads in freezer at moment from summer/autum pickings), free local garden produce from the garden-crazy frenchies who all have a garden no matter the size of their plot of land. In fact, I also have several bags of frozen myrtelles given to me this summer, even after making a lovely summer pudding for xmas. Minced steak is minced in front of me and not some mysterious mix.
Eating much more seafood - whole large Halibut other day was 13.99€ per kg (just over 15€ in total). Cheese - well nough said and champagne - we averaged 3 bottles a day over xmas break

Not sure about fuel. No car at mo, walking to school and very fit
Lots of red tape, but actually - no more than in Oz. Banking system expensive - as is Oz (still have bank accounts there).
Not spending all day trying to compare prices on banking/food/petrol etc so has increased my quality of life and blood pressure. Was crazy stupid in Oz, the amount of effort required to gain a few dollars. Crazy but entirely necessary. Really did my head in big time. Constant bartering, hidden prices, etc. Here sales are twice a year, I get fantastic rewards on my loyalty cards and there is no monopoly of the big shops.
When I buy something it does not break/fall apart

Able to get cheap books from UK, UK and french TV.
For 34€ per month I finally get decent fast broadband (fibre on way) free calls to almost anywhere in world and free extra tv channels. No more analogue here btw.

Cheaper to buy tickets from here to go to Oz than visa versa. Will happily be able to bring kids back for family reasons and to keep them immersed in Oz 'culcha'. Could not do this from Oz.
Other holidays - Paris accessible as have family there and cant wait to do Morocco and Spain.

Before anyone jumps in to defend Oz, please be reminded I do not need convincing - it was probably my country before yours (born and bred here) and I do love it dearly but am at the moment quite exasperated by it.

Circumstu have double income / no kids or a very large income to support family then thats fantastic, but I wouldnt be burning bridges to come here without the finances (at the moment).

I speak as an immigrant, in a strange land, with a different culture to my own and where I probably sacrifice a lot for my kids. But we eat well, can buy a house, and have options. I wont stop calling Australia home and wont rule out going back if it becomes more reasonable, but at the moment with the amount of people coming in and the prices, well it needs to settle a bit.

Oz is a great country but any adventure to it needs to be timed well!
Merry Christmas to you all and fantastic New Year, and our thoughts go to those suffering in the floods.

Last edited by Ruthyman; Jan 4th 2011 at 1:13 am.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;9076460]Just looked at the bookdepository top editor picks and this book is number one:

The Ancient Guide to Modern Life, By: Natalie Haynes
Published: 04 Nov 2010 Format: Hardback

ABC you're not toting your ghost written autobiography again are you
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:43 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Everyone became rich???
Well yeah Australians did because a lot of people ahd heaps of houses worth 100k and now at least there worth 500k
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, as I lie down beside my pool drinking an ice cool beer, with nowt in my pocket (all gone on the mortagage and lettuces) I often wander if I would not be better off in the UK
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Ah well, as I lie down beside my pool drinking an ice cool beer, with nowt in my pocket (all gone on the mortagage and lettuces) I often wander if I would not be better off in the UK
And the lettuces are now not just costly, but apparently they are also water-logged

Brisbane Markets wholesaler Anthony Joseph said yesterday the prices of major lines such as tomatoes, rockmelons, lettuces, capsicums and zucchinis had at least doubled in the past week due to crop losses and supply issues.
The shelf life of some produce, particularly lettuce, also could be slashed because of water-logging.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:02 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My electric has doubled. The rest of of my bills have perhaps increased by 35%. My husbands salary sure as hell hasn't gone up that much. As much as I love it here if I was coming now with the knowledge I have about the price of things, I wouldn't definitely not be coming.
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Agree mate. We've been here a lot of years and have managed to establish ourselves but we have also struggled over the past year. Electric has gone up massively and rates are now seperate to water rates and they've gone up as has car rego and insurance, food etc. Not to mention the bloody mortgage rates:curse: Basically almost everything has gone up substantially and most people are struggling, and more this year than last I reckon

I'd hate to think we were coming over now with the lousy exchange rate from UK to Aus and the hike in costs that we've experienced. Aus is fantastic but the cost of things is shite
I hate to say it (and these feelings will hopefully subside once the kids are happily settled into school and I'm working) but just one month after arriving here and I'm having my own doubts at the wisdom of coming over when we did. But how does one snuff out a dream that they've invested the greater part of ten years into achieving?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

It's all academic mate. Do you really think people are not struggling at the moment compared to years ago

the above show an average wage but a lot of people are not on that so they are already on borderline wages. Any increase in costs can cripple them. Also interest rates for mortgages have increased substantially, petrol has gone up so has food and household bills - it has really made a difference, much more than the increse in wages...

At one time every other car seemed to have a boat attached as they all went out fishing for the weekend but these were the first luxury that people got rid of. The boat yards are now empty yet at one time the boats were overspilling onto the roads cos they couldn't get them in the yards and there were always people buying. Not no more.....

Forget what it says on paper mate. Lots of people are struggling big time
Here here. Sonly's got it spot on. I don't know how anyone on the avergae wage can survive here. CC debt and loans.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:20 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulry
A quick question:

Several times I've heard it said that regardless of the exchange rate that we are getting, Aus prices in the shops are still kind of locked onto the previously £1 = $2.50 value. Does this also mean that (as a rule of thumb) if you were earning say £50k PA in blighty then a fair "guestimate" Aus salary expectation would be around $125k PA?
For me that sounds about right, if you get less than £1 = $2.50 value, then you do seem to be getting less value for your money, so less value for goods and services paid for in cash changed over from Sterling to Aus Dollar.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Yep. Currently in France, not utopia but have more feeling of possibility.
Left for two reasons - short term family reasons (France) and if we liked it we would stay (long term finances).

Immediate differences are lifestyle - UK to Oz to France varies greatly and depends on what you want / need. Highly individual and not able to be compared. Either you like something or you don't. Nowhere is perfect and compromises almost always need to be made.

Having close family (several generations) and two children has provided an excellent reason to stay for the moment. Could happen in any country. As it happens my kids need their memere and pepere and ditto back.

Excellent schooling that is relatively free is another. Includes free after school tutorials twice a week if required as you need to earn the right to progress to the next school year. Experience in oz was fundamentals not really taught well and at many inner city (very well thought of) schools kids relied on extra tutoring after school - kumon anyone?

Of course varies from school to school, but even in my day private school was generally the best option in terms of facilities, quality of teachers and old school network for jobs. As an aussie it helps to have a nice school on your CV.

Excellent schooling starts at approx age 3yrs. Equiv in Oz for a nursery is a small mortgage or your rental per month, even taking into consideration 3/4 yrs olds grants. Yes I know UK is worse - been there too, but we had the income to support it, Oz was different in that respect-much harder to earn money as its simply a smaller market and more competition. Make sure your income level can really support you.

Kids eat sit down 4 course meals at low price. No more sitting on bums in school playground talking with mouths full. On the other hand we do have to eat frog occasionally...

Kids happily bilingual with great accents in both languages and starting to learn 3rd language at primary school level.

Food - scraping by at lidl is not the same as scraping by at lidl in Oz. For one, the baguettes are only 80 centimes each and sourced from one of several boulangeries and not the local supermarket, and for another a certain percentage of food must be sourced locally. Exotic fruits are accessible due to colonies and we pay less than $1 AUD a kilo at the moment.
Can't buy cheap french lamb but can still get my NZ lamb fix for about 12€ (mmmm). Do get very cheap pork, free mushrooms (cepes, momorellestc) (loads in freezer at moment from summer/autum pickings), free local garden produce from the garden-crazy frenchies who all have a garden no matter the size of their plot of land. In fact, I also have several bags of frozen myrtelles given to me this summer, even after making a lovely summer pudding for xmas. Minced steak is minced in front of me and not some mysterious mix.
Eating much more seafood - whole large Halibut other day was 13.99€ per kg (just over 15€ in total). Cheese - well nough said and champagne - we averaged 3 bottles a day over xmas break

Not sure about fuel. No car at mo, walking to school and very fit
Lots of red tape, but actually - no more than in Oz. Banking system expensive - as is Oz (still have bank accounts there).
Not spending all day trying to compare prices on banking/food/petrol etc so has increased my quality of life and blood pressure. Was crazy stupid in Oz, the amount of effort required to gain a few dollars. Crazy but entirely necessary. Really did my head in big time. Constant bartering, hidden prices, etc. Here sales are twice a year, I get fantastic rewards on my loyalty cards and there is no monopoly of the big shops.
When I buy something it does not break/fall apart

Able to get cheap books from UK, UK and french TV.
For 34€ per month I finally get decent fast broadband (fibre on way) free calls to almost anywhere in world and free extra tv channels. No more analogue here btw.

Cheaper to buy tickets from here to go to Oz than visa versa. Will happily be able to bring kids back for family reasons and to keep them immersed in Oz 'culcha'. Could not do this from Oz.
Other holidays - Paris accessible as have family there and cant wait to do Morocco and Spain.

Before anyone jumps in to defend Oz, please be reminded I do not need convincing - it was probably my country before yours (born and bred here) and I do love it dearly but am at the moment quite exasperated by it.

Circumstu have double income / no kids or a very large income to support family then thats fantastic, but I wouldnt be burning bridges to come here without the finances (at the moment).

I speak as an immigrant, in a strange land, with a different culture to my own and where I probably sacrifice a lot for my kids. But we eat well, can buy a house, and have options. I wont stop calling Australia home and wont rule out going back if it becomes more reasonable, but at the moment with the amount of people coming in and the prices, well it needs to settle a bit.

Oz is a great country but any adventure to it needs to be timed well!
Merry Christmas to you all and fantastic New Year, and our thoughts go to those suffering in the floods.
Great post. On that note I think we can all agree Australia is a rip off and close this thread
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all academic mate. Do you really think people are not struggling at the moment compared to years ago

the above show an average wage but a lot of people are not on that so they are already on borderline wages. Any increase in costs can cripple them. Also interest rates for mortgages have increased substantially, petrol has gone up so has food and household bills - it has really made a difference, much more than the increse in wages...
I have to agree with this. Something has defo changed with our finances over the last year as well. We used to be comfortable and suddenly, we're not. Nothing specific to point at, just the general increase in prices of pretty much everything.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulry
I hate to say it (and these feelings will hopefully subside once the kids are happily settled into school and I'm working) but just one month after arriving here and I'm having my own doubts at the wisdom of coming over when we did. But how does one snuff out a dream that they've invested the greater part of ten years into achieving?
Hey Paulry. Having said all this there are ways to get by - namely by lots of tips on here.

Clothes - Go into Davy Jones to try stuff on and order from UK websites. Anything really req's go local chinese shop/Kmart/Target.
Books - book depos. Groceries - there are some local markets which are cheaper -e.g Parklea in Sydney (although will cost you $15 in tolls to get there/back ;-) Ebay is great too - use international sellers, not Oz ones

But it can be done. Just have to really shop about.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brendarover
For me that sounds about right, if you get less than £1 = $2.50 value, then you do seem to be getting less value for your money, so less value for goods and services paid for in cash changed over from Sterling to Aus Dollar.
Yes totally agree. I want to follow people about for a week who earn $80k with kids and see how they do it so I can pick up some tips. I must be doing something wrong
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have to agree with this. Something has defo changed with our finances over the last year as well. We used to be comfortable and suddenly, we're not. Nothing specific to point at, just the general increase in prices of pretty much everything.
TBH I have really been struggling since I came back from the UK (not the reason I am going back BTW). I am in a lower paid job and I am paying more rent...........but still, the prices of everyday stuff seems to have shot through the roof since I have been away.

I do notice prices more since coming back here, I don't exactly convert in my head but I do compare on some level, I find the household cleaning products and toiletries MEGA expensive here now maybe I just didn't pay as much attention before.

And I used to "brag" to family in England how Aussies eat steak for breakfast kind of thing but not at the prices just lately they can't!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.