Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old May 15th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Brumbies sell 3 loaves for under $6 - nice bread too
Make your own for $1 a loaf
Decent bread here in Melbourne costs $4-5, this is good bread not white paper bread. Bergen bread usual price $4.60 in the UK they sell for about 1.50 sterling.
I am not sure why most bread products are generally much higher here.
English muffins $3.99 WTF!!!
Old May 15th 2011, 9:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Decent bread here in Melbourne costs $4-5, this is good bread not white paper bread. Bergen bread usual price $4.60 in the UK they sell for about 1.50 sterling.
English muffins are ALWAYS 'on special', reduced or multibuy.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Bake your own then - easy peasy and $1 a loaf

problem solved
Old May 15th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
English muffins are ALWAYS 'on special', reduced or multibuy.
Oh that makes it okay then ;-)

'Bake your own then - easy peasy and $1 a loaf

problem solved'

We can do these things but it doesn't mean Oz isn't more expensive, Some people here seem to have a hard time accepting that.

In the Sydney Morning herald they had a big article this weekend on how a wage earner on supposedly high income $150k really isn;t that well off. $150k here doesn;t get a family far here anymore. And thats bad news. Prospective migrants would be put off big time. Because if you can't afford to live at the same standard or higher, you're not going to move somewhere, even if you can make bread yourself.

Last edited by itxrd; May 15th 2011 at 11:00 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Bread and milk are sold at a loss by UK supermarkets to entice you in - they've started trying it here with milk, long may it continue
Old May 15th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Bread and milk are sold at a loss by UK supermarkets to entice you in - they've started trying it here with milk, long may it continue
Yeah right sold at a loss. You mean the farmer might make a loss, not the supermarket. And I doubt anything in Oz is sold at a loss
Old May 15th 2011, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Really - how much does it cost a baker to make a loaf of bread?
Old May 15th 2011, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Ana_galego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not everyone moans, some of us do things to fix it, and live in relative comfort

Food and living costs do not have to be extortionate, but you do need to shop around.

Housing also does not have to be extortionate, but if you want city or beachside living, then it will cost, and that is something that should be expected.

Property in Brisbane for example, in the 3 months ended Sept 2010, there were 3,117 new lettings of 3 Bed houses, with a median of $380 pw.
That median Brisbane 3 Bed house rent is 27% of the average Male Full time wage in QLD. Maybe high, but not extortionate.
Hi!
I'm a Portuguese /Australian, living in Portugal for the past 25 years. I am a single mum with 2 kids (5 and 11 years)
I would love your opinions regarding moving back to Australia! I am unemployed at the moment..
I am a Senior graphic designer, I have been applying for jobs from here, and waiting for my chance to come up.
For a job earning 70,000K, do you think its possible to survive?
My children would go to public schools, obviously.. I would consider the Sydney Western suburbs, as my location because of the cheaper rentals.. How about supermarket and health costs?
Do you think its possible to make the big move?
I would love some feedback
Thank you
Old May 16th 2011, 5:18 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

HERE IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

FOR THE DELUDED, THE BEATEN AND THE BLIND

AUSTRALIA IS TOO GODAMN EXPENSIVE FOR NORMAL PEOPLE

SO DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING

Old May 16th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ana_galego
Hi!
I'm a Portuguese /Australian, living in Portugal for the past 25 years. I am a single mum with 2 kids (5 and 11 years)
I would love your opinions regarding moving back to Australia! I am unemployed at the moment..
I am a Senior graphic designer, I have been applying for jobs from here, and waiting for my chance to come up.
For a job earning 70,000K, do you think its possible to survive?
My children would go to public schools, obviously.. I would consider the Sydney Western suburbs, as my location because of the cheaper rentals.. How about supermarket and health costs?
Do you think its possible to make the big move?
I would love some feedback
Thank you
It is possible to survive. But to live at a decent standard of living and not be worrying all of the time about money - I am sorry but no. I think even those who see Oz in rose tinted glasses in here would agree. You would need to get to at least 90 I'd say. Hope you don't take it the wrong way as I really admire people that can make ends meet, but I don't think it would be worth putting yourself through it to live here. Try this

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

You'll take home $4.2 a month.
Rent $400 a week = $1.8k a month. So you have $2.4k left. Prob $800 a month for food. $1.6k left. Maybe its possible. Have a look at other threads for other costs etc. You may not need a car living there. Looking at it though I'd get your wage up to start with though if you can
Old May 16th 2011, 10:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itxrd
It is possible to survive. But to live at a decent standard of living and not be worrying all of the time about money - I am sorry but no. I think even those who see Oz in rose tinted glasses in here would agree. You would need to get to at least 90 I'd say. Hope you don't take it the wrong way as I really admire people that can make ends meet, but I don't think it would be worth putting yourself through it to live here. Try this

Rent $400 a week = $1.8k a month. So you have $2.4k left. Prob $800 a month for food. $1.6k left. Maybe its possible. Have a look at other threads for other costs etc. You may not need a car living there. Looking at it though I'd get your wage up to start with though if you can
You can add the FTB for having two kids to that.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Any 'essential' in Oz is a rip off. Underwear, socks, trainers, Glasses (OMG are they stupidly expensive. OPSM can get F***ED), batteries, spare battery for your cordless drill and so forth
Old May 16th 2011, 2:47 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

...And puncture repair kits
Old May 16th 2011, 2:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Glasses (OMG are they stupidly expensive. OPSM can get F***ED)
I recently got a pair of broken glasses replaced by Specsavers. Cost was $140 which I don't think is expensive. I also got $80-odd back from HBF.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd

I'd like to see those figures in comparison to Portugal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.