Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
For the first time ever, we have, and use a bread maker. Laucke Mills do a very good bread mix. About $1.00 a loaf and very tasty.
I used to have a bread maker and used the Laucke mixes, but the baking tin lost its lining and I couldn't get a replacement. Had to chuck out the whole machine, as there were no spare parts available. Maybe I need to buy another one to keep the bread costs down in this household.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:31 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I used to have a bread maker and used the Laucke mixes, but the baking tin lost its lining and I couldn't get a replacement. Had to chuck out the whole machine, as there were no spare parts available. Maybe I need to buy another one to keep the bread costs down in this household.
Ours was only $70.00 from memory.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am relieved we don't eat a lot of bread. 1 loaf of Lawsons lasts us about 3 weeks. I keep it frozen and defrost slices when we use them. My shopping bills would be even higher if we ate bread!
I don't eat much bread, but the 3 males in the house do. One loaf of Lawsons lasts one day at the weekend. The other brand we like is Wheatbelt Bakehouse, wholemeal or rye, 750g loaf about $3.40, but often on special, eg IGA this week $2.70. This brand is actually made from WA wheat and baked in Perth, whereas Lawsons is baked in NSW.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat much bread, but the 3 males in the house do. One loaf of Lawsons lasts one day at the weekend. The other brand we like is Wheatbelt Bakehouse, wholemeal or rye, 750g loaf about $3.40, but often on special, eg IGA this week $2.70. This brand is actually made from WA wheat and baked in Perth, whereas Lawsons is baked in NSW.
I like it but can't eat it. My girls hate bread and husband only eats it occasionally as it interferes with his high protein weight training diet. To be honest I buy what is on special and it goes in the freezer in the garage.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

We're fussy about bread. I never buy sliced white bread and only ever buy white bread if I can get a loaf from a Nedlands bakery (and it's about $6). We buy wholemeal or rye, and there's only 2 brands we like. The one closest to a British wholemeal (such as Allinsons or Hovis) is Lawsons:

Coles: Lawsons wholemeal stone milled, 800g, normal price $4.89
Sainsburys: Allinson wholemeal, 800g, £1.32

For a typical family of 4, the weekly expenditure on bread mounts up, unless you like floppy plastic stuff.
Yeah we don't eat that white kak. Bad for you guys.

Brown bread all the way!!!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

To begin with I will say that I chose these items before I knew the results, and the last result was quite a surprise to me.... ( you will see why)...

Average wages
UK £22,932
AUS $66,804
I get the UK average wage at about £25,300 from this 2010 Survey of Hours and Earnings but it is surprisingly hard to find.

Also, with respect you've chosen some pretty downmarket products there (woolies does bread for $1.20 ).

+1 for brown bread

We go through phases of using our breadmaker too, you should try one!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you go shopping

Even Woolworths isn't that expensive, and they are just about the highest prices for fresh fruit and veg.

Woolworths are $14.90 for a 5kg Red Seedless Watermelon.
Their apples are $3.86 for 1kg of Granny Smith, which is a price I think is extortionate.

Actually I think all of Woolworths prices are way to high.

My shopping at the local fruit market today:
1kg Tomatoes
1kg Bananas
1 sliced white bread
Total $4.05

+ no queues, instant service
Watermelons were $5.50 for a quarter on NYE at Franklins, has anybody noticed how Franklins used to be a lot cheaper but is now almost in line with the other top 2? When I was married with kids I used to do my big shop at Franklins then head to Woolies for the more "fancy" stuff Franklins didn't carry, but am now finding a sameness with all.......

Also paid $4.95 for bread yesterday, OK it was the petrol station on my way home from work, but $5 for a loaf of bread!!!!!! (Helga's wholemeal, not white floppy. )

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 5th 2011 at 8:16 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

and from the BBC...

They have all the variety and mix. cheap - use once and throw. Durable. depends on what the seller wants to pay. Asian cities like Dubai, Seoul and Shanghai have overtaken The West when it comes to skyscrappers, rail speed and road infrastructure.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
What is the price of tiger bread can you get it in Australia

never seen "tiger bread" here in brisbane. What is it anyway? It must be fairly new on the shelves, I don't remember seeing it a few years ago in the UK supermarkets.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
never seen "tiger bread" here in brisbane. What is it anyway? It must be fairly new on the shelves, I don't remember seeing it a few years ago in the UK supermarkets.
Its white bread, like a bloomer, but with a crust that looks like a tiger pattern 'cos its been baked with a coating of rice paste on it. Very nice it is too.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Just to add, as this thread is now turning into a discussion about loaves, I eat white bread, I'm happy to eat white bread, I don't think it tastes like "floppy plastic" and, given that most bread sold is still your average white bread, I think you lot are a bunch of snobby liars and that, secretly, you all wish you could buy Warburtons white loaves in Woolies.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:45 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Tiger bread is sold in Coles and Brumbys for anything from $3.95 to $4.50 - it is usually uncut loaf with stripes on it which is why it's called tiger bread
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:48 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just to add, as this thread is now turning into a discussion about loaves, I eat white bread, I'm happy to eat white bread, I don't think it tastes like "floppy plastic" and, given that most bread sold is still your average white bread, I think you lot are a bunch of snobby liars and that, secretly, you all wish you could buy Warburtons white loaves in Woolies.

Actually I like plastic bread in toasted cheese and onion sandwiches or toast and butter, but other than that it has to be good quality bread with bits in it that stick in your teeth, usually about $5 or if it is olive bread $7

keep your warburtons
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

Actually I like plastic bread in toasted cheese and onion sandwiches or toast and butter, but other than that it has to be good quality bread with bits in it that stick in your teeth, usually about $5 or if it is olive bread $7

keep your warburtons
I like pretty much any bread.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
For the first time ever, we have, and use a bread maker. Laucke Mills do a very good bread mix. About $1.00 a loaf and very tasty.
I love the German grain mix and the Barossa Sourdough one. I mix them in the bread maker and then bake them in the oven. The only drwback is that it ends up costing us more because we just it it all up in one day, it's so good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.