Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

The markets in Brisbane (eg West End markets) are often a lot cheaper for fruit and veg.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tomatoes were $4.80 yesterday. I went to get some, saw the price and did a rather loud mini rant The woman who was filling a bag, looked at me, looked at the price and dropped the bag like it had burnt her. Don't need them that much.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Tomatoes were $4.80 yesterday. I went to get some, saw the price and did a rather loud mini rant The woman who was filling a bag, looked at me, looked at the price and dropped the bag like it had burnt her. Don't need them that much.
I may be wrong but I think that is the normal per kilo price in my local woolies?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:21 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I very rarely look at the price of stuff (if I want to eat it, I have to pay for it so why bother?) but yesterday even I walked away from the (non-organic) $14.99 p/kg apples in the grocer's at North Sydney Didn't want to eat them quite that badly.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I may be wrong but I think that is the normal per kilo price in my local woolies?
Sounds pretty average to me too.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
(if I want to eat it, I have to pay for it so why bother?)
Must be nice to have a budget without limits.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Must be nice to have a budget without limits.
Got to eat to live.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
Got to eat to live.
We make our decisions what to eat based on what we can afford. We might like Moet and Caviar (don't like either actually) but we can't afford to eat them every day so wouldn't.

Also, if you don't look at unit pricing you are just pissing money down the drain. You might have to eat to live but you don't have to pay way over the odds for the manner in which the product is packaged or presented. Especially if you are overpaying for a less convenient product purely due to laziness. In my woolies pre-packed snow peas are I believe edit:2.5 times the price of loose snow peas.

Tomatoes are now $6.38 per kilo at my local woolies too. Any talk of a recovery on the back of this flood spending is rubbish.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living-woolies.gif  

Last edited by Steve2009; Jan 16th 2011 at 1:41 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:31 am
Auntie Fa

We make our decisions what to eat based on what we can afford. We might like Moet and Caviar (don't like either actually) but we can't afford to eat them every day so wouldn't.

Also, if you don't look at unit pricing you are just pissing money down the drain. You might have to eat to live but you don't have to pay way over the odds for the manner in which the product is packaged or presented. In my woolies pre-packed snow peas are I believe five times the price of loose snow peas.
I don't even bag my groceries - I'm a tree-hugging hippy
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Also, if you don't look at unit pricing you are just pissing money down the drain. You might have to eat to live but you don't have to pay way over the odds for the manner in which the product is packaged or presented. Especially if you are overpaying for a less convenient product purely due to laziness. In my woolies pre-packed snow peas are I believe edit:2.5 times the price of loose snow peas.<<

Unit pricing is the key - it's no wonder that the big two here wanted to keep it out.

Woolworth play the inertia game: you buy a large container of XXX because one week it's cheaper per 100gm. Next week you do the same thing, failing to notice that buying four quarter sized packs is 50c a 100gm cheaper! Just seen this today in my local Woolies.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Woolworth play the inertia game: you buy a large container of XXX because one week it's cheaper per 100gm. Next week you do the same thing, failing to notice that buying four quarter sized packs is 50c a 100gm cheaper! Just seen this today in my local Woolies.
Tesco do it too, I saw it in Ireland at Christmas. I can't speak for Sainsbury's because unfortunately we never had them in Southern Ireland.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the original question and moving slightly away from bananas, i can see the day where i have to look at what my standard of living is here and what it could be somewhere else and consider a move.

I like it is Oz, but am aware that financially it already isnt the best place for me. I work in mining - well mineral exploration and in a recent attempt to get some new staff on board realised that we dont pay anything like what they can earn in the UK. Most of the guys when being told the salary over $100k, that they earn that in pounds and are tax free, so why come to a country to be worse off!

At the moment the joys i get from living here are more than the extra $$$ i could earn, but they day may come where i cant ignore it any more.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Moving back to bananas, I always buy bananas grown in WA, as they've travelled far less and are a much smaller size than bananas from the eastern states. I've never seen these in Woolworths here, but Coles sometimes have them. They are normally sold in bags and marketed here as lunchbox bananas, and they're great for kids, rather than the whopper-sized ones. They also tend to be sweeter.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Moving back to bananas, I always buy bananas grown in WA, as they've travelled far less and are a much smaller size than bananas from the eastern states. I've never seen these in Woolworths here, but Coles sometimes have them. They are normally sold in bags and marketed here as lunchbox bananas, and they're great for kids, rather than the whopper-sized ones. They also tend to be sweeter.
I've only had a half dozen bananas in Oz that taste really "banana-ey", whether from the supermarkets, stalls or fruiterers. Considering they are grown in-country (must keep the alien nasties out) they are a disgrace.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:31 am
Auntie Fa

I don't at all like the ones that come dipped in red wax. Way too sweet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.