Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Wikiposts

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Certainly is. Its illegal and thus BE doesn't condone or encourage it.
Yes must tow the line and all that
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The problem is that if you do a degree (any degree), then do an MBA and then go and work for, say, a bank, you will become a manager. No other requirements asked for. That's all well and good, but just having qualifications don't make you a good leader.

I've had good and bad managers in every country that I have worked in.
Agree
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Over here? Try everywhere. Apple have done extremely well at marketing their fashion accessories. They are probably one of the best marketed companies ever.
I think there is something exceptional about the iPhone market share in Australia though...my friends notice it when visiting that 'everyone' has an iPhone.

iOS Market Share in May 2011:

Aus: 73%
UK: 39%
US: 34%

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os...-201005-201105
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think there is something exceptional about the iPhone market share in Australia though...my friends notice it when visiting that 'everyone' has an iPhone.

Yeah - android seems much more popular in the US than Aus
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Just a quick jump back to cost of living:

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...531-1fe8r.html
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Just a quick jump back to cost of living:

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...531-1fe8r.html
"So there it is: Qantas charges Australians 50 per cent more to travel than Americans flying in the opposite direction, because it can."

Where's the shock in that then? Any business charges as much as it thinks its market can stand.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Where's the shock in that then? Any business charges as much as it thinks its market can stand.
I can still never understand why this concept is so difficult for people to grasp.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, although the graph for Europe was similar to the one for Australia

I'm distinctly anti-Apple, who in my opinion sell fashion accessories
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Fair enough, although the graph for Europe was similar to the one for Australia
Not really...the difference between iOS and Android was just over 20% for Europe...and close to 60% for Australia.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

"So there it is: Qantas charges Australians 50 per cent more to travel than Americans flying in the opposite direction, because it can."

But isn't that generally true of all the airlines and all destinations for trips starting from Australia except for the likes of Air Asia?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I can still never understand why this concept is so difficult for people to grasp.
And what does that say about Aussie consumers?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by paulry
But isn't that generally true of all the airlines and all destinations for trips starting from Australia except for the likes of Air Asia?
Correct.

It's also true that most airlines charge higher fares to their home markets.

In the UK a lot of people start their journeys with BA in another European country because the fare is cheaper...despite the fact there are extra flights involved.

e.g. someone might go Stockholm - London - Sydney - London - Stockholm because it's MUCH cheaper than London - Sydney - London. (they generally don't fly the last leg back to Stockholm by the way).
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:17 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah right - so you'll pay $89 for tomtom software for your iphone - I don't think so. Personally I'll download an app, then if I find it really good I will go and buy it and therefore support the independent developers of the smaller apps. With the ripoff merchants like tomtom, I don't think so.
I guess everyone has their own justifications for stealing.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Correct.

It's also true that most airlines charge higher fares to their home markets.

In the UK a lot of people start their journeys with BA in another European country because the fare is cheaper...despite the fact there are extra flights involved.

e.g. someone might go Stockholm - London - Sydney - London - Stockholm because it's MUCH cheaper than London - Sydney - London. (they generally don't fly the last leg back to Stockholm by the way).
Yep if people are happy to get ripped off then they will - point in case
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah right - so you'll pay $89 for tomtom software for your iphone - I don't think so. Personally I'll download an app, then if I find it really good I will go and buy it and therefore support the independent developers of the smaller apps. With the ripoff merchants like tomtom, I don't think so.
Firstly I don't own an i-phone. I find that software that is easy to use has little depth and power to crunch the important stuff. Easy to use software is a gimick for cheapskates. They hook you then you fork out thousands for training to gain any real benefit which generally does not exist. I'm not just talking i-phone or mac. I'm talking other easy entry apps like Google Sketch Up.

Secondly if its over priced then don't buy it. I'm sure you don't walk into a Ferrari showroom and steal it just because you think its over priced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.