Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old May 30th 2011, 9:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Aus is a fantastic place to live, great place to work IMHO
Actually I've managed to find a fantastic job, the best so far in all the years I've lived here. Not in monetary terms but in people management terms. But then it's a multi national with a completely different way of managing people to how all my other companies here in Aus have operated

Whilst my current place is a great place to work, my experience overall is Aus has shite working practices and Aus management is not that smart, in fact mediocre management is less of a threat and normally par for the course. Aussie businesses need to learn to manage their human resources better and work smarter. IMHO
Old May 31st 2011, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rockynfudge
Hi there,

Been looking at this thread with great interest, as we are in the position of considering a move to Aus from the UK. At moment either Darwin or Brisbane area.

We would be coming with about Au$ 100k. Initially I would be the sole earner on Au$ 80k a year base, + super, and company car provided.

Would be nice to use our 100k as a deposit and not have to use it to live on.

Houses we have looked at on the net are about Au$ 420k - 450k.

With 3 kids a 4 bedroom house is a must, in an area with good schools etc.

In the UK a rough guide is 3 x salary in relation to an affordable mortgage, is this the same in Australia?

We are not leaving UK to chase any sort of "dream", we just want to live in a country that awards those who get of their arse and work, unlike the UK.

I know there are so many factors, but a general opinion as to whether we can afford to live in Australia would be appreciated.
I don't think 80K a year is enough to live well in Brisbane - can't speak for Darwin, Many do live on that, but you'd struggle to pay a mortgage. We have income of about twice that and live conservatively - modest rental and cars, and kids at state schools. : Food and healthcare is staggeringly expensive here . Power bills through the roof, and don't imagine that you'll go on many holidays!
Old May 31st 2011, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Whilst my current place is a great place to work, my experience overall is Aus has shite working practices and Aus management is not that smart, in fact mediocre management is less of a threat and normally par for the course. Aussie businesses need to learn to manage their human resources better and work smarter. IMHO
My experience of working in IT in Australia was that the management are far more interested in your ability to follow a procedure even if it leads to failure rather than allow people to use their intelligence to solve problems that come up. It's part of why I'm still turning down opportunities to return to Sydney and work in banking. Funnily enough my team in London are mostly Australian and they are very good so it leads me to believe the best Australia has move to other countries to work and the dross are left at home.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:28 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
My experience of working in IT in Australia was that the management are far more interested in your ability to follow a procedure even if it leads to failure rather than allow people to use their intelligence to solve problems that come up. It's part of why I'm still turning down opportunities to return to Sydney and work in banking. Funnily enough my team in London are mostly Australian and they are very good so it leads me to believe the best Australia has move to other countries to work and the dross are left at home.
Yeh, but the bonus is that even dodgy shysters like me can find work in amongst the 'dross'

Banking, procedures, arse-covering matrix, endless meetings, stakeholders <shudder>.

I swear I will move to Nimbin and live in a yurt.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yeh, but the bonus is that even dodgy shysters like me can find work in amongst the 'dross'

Banking, procedures, arse-covering matrix, endless meetings, stakeholders <shudder>.

I swear I will move to Nimbin and live in a yurt.
My ex employers were even in the Australian IT section yesterday for how bad their systems and IT moral are. It made me laugh my ex colleagues still email me weekly complaining about the place.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:22 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My ex employers were even in the Australian IT section yesterday for how bad their systems and IT moral are. It made me laugh my ex colleagues still email me weekly complaining about the place.
Having experienced the red tape of the financial sector I can only imagine the hassles if I took a job in the public service ... best avoided I think.

<Off to browse Seek.com and have a bit of a cry>
Old May 31st 2011, 12:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I agree, especially about where I am working at the moment, but I don't think it's much better in other countries. In my field it's certainly no better in the UK (Network Rail - if only the UK public knew how much they are subsidising the sheer incompetence and waste of that shower of shit......).

There are very few good managers about. The modern way is good education=good management, and it's fundamentally wrong. A good manager actually has to do very little to manage effectively, a bad manger has to try too hard - and it shows.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Having experienced the red tape of the financial sector I can only imagine the hassles if I took a job in the public service ... best avoided I think.

Then don't even bother looking at the mining industry. The amount of self-imposed red tape is insane. I often wonder how they ever manage to make money.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:45 pm
Mostly Harmless

Then don't even bother looking at the mining industry. The amount of self-imposed red tape is insane. I often wonder how they ever manage to make money.
I did some work with BHP, most of their IT seems to be in India ... the teleconferences were from the very pit of hell.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did 9 months public sector prior to moving to Australia and there was less red tape than in a typical Aussie bank.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

I did 9 months public sector prior to moving to Australia and there was less red tape than in a typical Aussie bank.
Hmmm, interesting, I actually enjoyed my first year or so at Suncorp but then the bottom fell out of the stock market and things got a bit dicey.

I wasn't in the IT section, I was doing some dodgy 'off network' stuff for our department, it was great fun not being bound to the procedures and standards ... the server was in the photocopier room and the one thing to grab during a fire drill was the external back-up drive ... it was madness ...

All of this happened because the IT section wanted more money to quote for the system then it cost us to build it from scratch
Old May 31st 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmm, interesting, I actually enjoyed my first year or so at Suncorp but then the bottom fell out of the stock market and things got a bit dicey.

I wasn't in the IT section, I was doing some dodgy 'off network' stuff for our department, it was great fun not being bound to the procedures and standards ... the server was in the photocopier room and the one thing to grab during a fire drill was the external back-up drive ... it was madness ...

All of this happened because the IT section wanted more money to quote for the system then it cost us to build it from scratch
You should see the risk system I'm working on replacing. It's the worst I've ever seen. At least I've got the budget and team approved to kill it and rational procedures to follow.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:43 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You should see the risk system I'm working on replacing. It's the worst I've ever seen. At least I've got the budget and team approved to kill it and rational procedures to follow.
Banks don't need risk systems. Trust me, I'm a broker!
Old May 31st 2011, 2:48 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, especially about where I am working at the moment, but I don't think it's much better in other countries. In my field it's certainly no better in the UK (Network Rail - if only the UK public knew how much they are subsidising the sheer incompetence and waste of that shower of shit......).

There are very few good managers about. The modern way is good education=good management, and it's fundamentally wrong. A good manager actually has to do very little to manage effectively, a bad manger has to try too hard - and it shows.
My husband comes home with stories that would make your hair curl! Managers who couldn't manage an orgy in a brothel!
Old May 31st 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of working in IT in Australia was that the management are far more interested in your ability to follow a procedure
I couldn't agree more. Having worked in Australia and UK numberous times over the years, managers in Australia do tend to pride themselves on the process of delivery rather than actually delivering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.