Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Really? So lets say (hypothetically)someone validates their visa, stays in Aus two weeks then goes back to UK for 4 years. They then return 4 years later.

When they validated initially it was during the 2 year citizen rule. So in effect they validated, stayed 2 weeks, left and returned to Aus 4 years later.

Can they gain Citizenship straight away? Or is the time they stayed in UK taken into consideration and taken out of this equasion?

In other words does the citizenship clock only start ticking after they return after 4 years?
You're not talking about the PR date though, which was what markmc was referring to.

From my looking at the calculator you can be absent 12 months in that 4 years, not more than 90 days in the year before applying.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:30 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You're not talking about the PR date though, which was what markmc was referring to.

From my looking at the calculator you can be absent 12 months in that 4 years, not more than 90 days in the year before applying.
Yep

A person is classed as a PR from the time they validate. In theory that is. However in practical terms if they leave Aus after validating, for 12 months or more within the 4 years then the clock has to re-set itself.

This is what I meant in my previous post i.e. "validation time minus time spent out of Aus"
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I know what i can get and thats the problem. Actually was looking at Cornwall and as i would actually work in Africa or Asia - i am a geologist so that is fairly normal, then we are not tied down to needing to be near a particular place, as long as i can get to a airport within a few hours it doesnt matter. There are some nice places on the market down there and with interest rates what near zero in the UK and being better off financialy we could afford a little more.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...da128d46e5d265

http://www.bradleys-estate-agents.co...056-1302254524

http://www.bradleys-estate-agents.co...156-1302261804

Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
The line above the bit where you enter the dates states: "If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is your date of first arrival in Australia on this visa " <- to me = validation date.
Yes I know this. But the citizenship calculator does not run off this date, it runs off the lawful residence date. And lawful residence is described as:

Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

I would like to say that my lawful residence date was the date I first entered Australia too, but I don't see how I can do that with the definition as above. If they did any kind of checks they would soon see that I was not resident from the date of my validation trip; no address, medicare, TFN, still being paid and resident in UK etc etc.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would like to say that my lawful residence date was the date I first entered Australia too, but I don't see how I can do that with the definition as above. If they did any kind of checks they would soon see that I was not resident from the date of my validation trip; no address, medicare, TFN, still being paid and resident in UK etc etc.
On the calculator, when I click on the ? beside lawful residence date it says:

Lawful Residence date
If you were granted a Temporary Residence or Permanent Residence visa before you arrived in Australia, the date that you first arrived on that visa is the Lawful Residence date. If you were granted a Temporary Residence or Permanent Residence visa after you arrived in Australia, the date that that visa was granted is the Lawful Residence date.

No one is suggesting anything dubious here, for offshore applicants the LRD is the date of validation.

Lawful (temporary) residence includes being on holiday!
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
On the calculator, when I click on the ? beside lawful residence date it says:

Lawful Residence date
If you were granted a Temporary Residence or Permanent Residence visa before you arrived in Australia, the date that you first arrived on that visa is the Lawful Residence date. If you were granted a Temporary Residence or Permanent Residence visa after you arrived in Australia, the date that that visa was granted is the Lawful Residence date.

No one is suggesting anything dubious here, for offshore applicants the LRD is the date of validation.

Lawful (temporary) residence includes being on holiday!

I didn't think anyone was being dubious.

I had not looked at the ? comment, it is not quite the same as it says further up the page then.

Good though, we can apply a whole six weeks earlier.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:10 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Good though, we can apply a whole six weeks earlier.
or in my case a whole 9 months earlier
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a validation trip and then leave Australia, you can use this time outside of Australia as absence allowed for citizenship - with the allowable absence being up to 1 year. For example, my dates look like this:

Oct 2005 visa granted (temp spouse 309)
April 2006 visa validated (stayed for 2 weeks, returned to UK)
July 2007 moved to Australia
Jan 2008 visa granted (perm spouse 100)
July 2010 applied for citizenship - which was granted (I've been a citizen since November)

I haven't spent any time outside of Australia since July 2007, so my 12 months allowable absence was the 12 months immediately before moving here in July 2007 (remembering my visa had been validated over a year before that).
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:30 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Some people use official exchange rates to compare cost of living. Its plainly wrong.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes using exchange is usefull. Particularly for myself as even if i was back in the UK i would be paid in US$, which is a close proxy and as my job would earn about the same here as there then it sometimes makes sense. Though it doesnt allow for differences between the two countries.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

a measure of relative cost of living should be:

est annual cost of living divided by est annual income

compare between countries without converting for exchange rates
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Not read all the posts, but finding it hard to justify staying here.

Moved up to Gold Coast (working in Brissie) money is apparently good but I was earning the "figure" in the UK (swap the $ for a pound sign).

Boss keep telling me SEQLDis cheaper than Sydney, I totally disagree. Rent is still $460 a week (same as we paid in Sydney) only we have 4 beds instead of 3. Guys at work agree, house still costs the same, just you get a bigger yard here.

As for the amazing lifestyle we apparently have here... yep granted we can go to the beach on weekends, and get to see some great sunsets on evening walks but the whole lifestyle is much worse. In the UK we could afford 3 overseas holidays a year if we wanted, and I'm not talking Europe, more like Canada, Hawaii, etc. We would often head to the smoke for a weekend, meals out, pubs, theatre etc, we can only dream of affording a weekend back in sydney/melbourne for the theatre.

We used to run 3 cars, petrol was never an issue, here we struggle to run one and I have to put up with a packed train for commuting...

Only decision now, is do we clear off tomorrow, or put up with this crap existence for another 18 months just to get a passport that will probably never get used...
I can relate to this, we can only hope the commodity bubble blows, Australia may then resume to some normalness, one can only hope for new entrants otherwise stick with Blighty for the foreseeable?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
a measure of relative cost of living should be:

est annual cost of living divided by est annual income

compare between countries without converting for exchange rates
Yes but if the equity you are bringing over is reduced significantly by the official exchange rate then I'm afraid it does plug into the cost of living as in order to maintain a standard of living you are going to have to borrow more money and therefore increase your cost of living making Australia a bad deal if you are from the UK.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
I can relate to this, we can only hope the commodity bubble blows, Australia may then resume to some normalness, one can only hope for new entrants otherwise stick with Blighty for the foreseeable?
With the commodity and housing bubbles the economy will take a drastic turn for the worse. It is a bleak scenario for the country. Sorry to say that the economy is build on greed and fuzzy vision.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:27 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gere
With the commodity and housing bubbles the economy will take a drastic turn for the worse. It is a bleak scenario for the country. Sorry to say that the economy is build on greed and fuzzy vision.
Why sorry?
All the worlds most successful economies are. It's called Capitalism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.