Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:43 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
I can relate to this, we can only hope the commodity bubble blows, Australia may then resume to some normalness, one can only hope for new entrants otherwise stick with Blighty for the foreseeable?
china & india will continue buying aussie resources for decades to come. they have a long way to go in terms of per-capita income and if they are to achieve higher per-capita incomes they will continue growing at high speeds and will continue buying aussie products.

the current exchange rate in my opinion will become the "normal" one for decades to come.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by isgraham
Yes but if the equity you are bringing over is reduced significantly by the official exchange rate then I'm afraid it does plug into the cost of living as in order to maintain a standard of living you are going to have to borrow more money and therefore increase your cost of living making Australia a bad deal if you are from the UK.
I understand what you're saying, but I think it's debatable whether it is reduced. The exchange rate is the exchange rate. Perhaps interest rates might be even more relevant because that is an indicator of return on your capital.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I understand what you're saying, but I think it's debatable whether it is reduced. The exchange rate is the exchange rate. Perhaps interest rates might be even more relevant because that is an indicator of return on your capital.
Yes but commonwealth keeps telling us that the exchange rate shouldn't be used to compare cost of living which is just ridiculous. I'd love to know what random multiplier we should use to make Australia look like a good option.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but commonwealth keeps telling us that the exchange rate shouldn't be used to compare cost of living which is just ridiculous. I'd love to know what random multiplier we should use to make Australia look like a good option.
I doubt he, or anyone, would argue with using the exchange rate when working out how much you will get when you transfer and how this will affect the size of your mortgage etc. But some use it to compare ongoing costs like utility bills, food and the like back to the equivalent in the uk....for this the exchange rate is useless.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 13th 2011 at 12:29 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fish.01
I doubt he, or anyone, would argue with using the exchange rate when working out how much you will get when you transfer and how this will affect the size of your mortgage etc. But some use it to compare ongoing costs like utility bills, food and the like back to the equivalent in the uk....for this the exchange rate is useless.
OK then so what's the formula?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

If you know the wage you will be earning in Australia and the wage you earn in the uk divide the cost of something in each country into that countries wage to get a cost multiple for each country. Compare the two cost multiples to see which is more.

If you want to work it out on a more general country wide basis Australian wages have been calculated on here before to be, on average, a number 2.2 times the uk average wage number. So multiplying a uk cost by 2.2 gives you a rough amount of how much it 'should' cost in Australia. If it costs more than this 'should cost' amount in Australia then you can say it costs more in Australia and vice versa.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 13th 2011 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Working out what percentage or proportion of your income goes towards paying your bills.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derren7
Working out what percentage or proportion of your income goes towards paying your bills.
Well in my case then London will always be a winner and with the shorter working hours and longer holiday that I have here I dare say I won't be back to Australia to live for a good few years yet.

Anyway the real answer is to use the Purchasing Power Parity index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

But it does have flaws mainly because it contradicts my experiences.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well in my case then London will always be a winner and with the shorter working hours and longer holiday that I have here I dare say I won't be back to Australia to live for a good few years yet.

Anyway the real answer is to use the Purchasing Power Parity index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

But it does have flaws mainly because it contradicts my experiences.
Do you know where the latest ppp indexes are? The list on the link showing GDP adjusted using ppp isn't what you mean is it?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
If you know the wage you will be earning in Australia and the wage you earn in the uk divide the cost of something in each country into that countries wage to get a cost multiple for each country. Compare the two cost multiples to see which is more.

If you want to work it out on a more general country wide basis Australian wages have been calculated on here before to be, on average, a number 2.2 times the uk average wage number. So multiplying a uk cost by 2.2 gives you a rough amount of how much it 'should' cost in Australia. If it costs more than this 'should cost' amount in Australia then you can say it costs more in Australia and vice versa.
Totally agree makes it simpler. I reckon its 3, inc the 1.6 exchange rate
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:05 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful day out there ... just sayin' ...
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:58 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Beautiful day out there ... just sayin' ...
very beautiful, working from home, sat under the alfresco with a view of Tambouine mtn...still skint though
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
very beautiful, working from home, sat under the alfresco with a view of Tambouine mtn...still skint though
Adjust your expectations IT dude
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The weather isnt better all year round but it is very expensive.

Ive just come back from melbourne spending a week with relatives from UK.
They have recently been in Perth and nearly died from the temps they have some photos of each other black with flies They were also shocked at just how wet qld could be. (450ml in some parts this month ).

I find food expensive in QLD, but it seemed even more expensive in melbourne even at the markets, we were in south yarra and went to markets and woolworth ( safeway there) and OMBGeven more expensive than qld, which I cant say I have noticed before. EG, cherries 15 a kilo, mangos 4 each, lemons 6 a kilo, apples 8 a kilo, the pom rels were astounded at almost all food costs. The tiny south yarra townhouse we were at for lunch was going up for sale for over 1 million and its a dated worn place that needs a good reno, at that price the buyer will also need over 50 k for stamp duty. We went to the city for lunch, $81 for 2 entrees, some bread and 3 glasses of wine, even I fell over with shock!

I could see the rels were extremely shocked at the cost of stuff here, but most seemed to think we were all having a 'lovely' lifestyle here and overall seemed to think life was 'easier', 'less stressful' in OZ, but they saw us in christmas mode, dressed up, dining in luxury, doing the tourist stuff. Dont know what they would have made of us on a wet monday morning with traffic, job, school run??

Super expensive for sure, but I know christmas week we certainly gave them the wow factor, so maybe some might still think its worth it.
shop around.

if you go to a chinese or vietnamese grocer, fruits and vegetables worth a bargain.

depending where you work.

it is best to buy somewhere near the train station. if you buy it cheap.

I am building a house in wellard in perth, about 5 minutes walk to the train station. 30 minutes by train to the city and very near rockingham, about 20 minutes drive to rockingham and warnbro beach.

Depends too on the choice of work or location of work.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:13 pm
Banned

knowlton is on a distinguished road

Can't be as expensive as living in Notting Hill! Costed me an absolute fortune!

Job prospects here in Oz - so much better as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.