Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by paulry
£55 a week does sound cheap but your son is small. Just wait til he's a teenager with the appetite of a hungry horse.

I'd say Sydney is definately more expensive than London. But IMO it's worth grinning and bearing the higher costs to be better off in the longer term. You're amongst the luckier ones - at least you have a (just) live-able salary coming in. I can see that on $60K there won't be much left over for enjoyment of life though. It looks like the two of you are going to have to work. Did you eventually settle in the Janalli area?
Plenty of people like off 20k in London so 60k should be no problems.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Hahhahh this really is quite funny and ignorant.
As is your post, excepting the funny bit.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:04 am
Just Joined

simo71 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Jannali at the moment but if we decide to stay we are moving closer to the city(I know,more expensive!but the Shire is not for us!).
I don't think that £55 weekly food shopping was thight (at least didn't feel like that to us!).It was your average shopping from Sainsburys ,meat,fruit ,vegetables,milk,yoghurt and treats for us and the kid,toilettries etc. (no wine or beers ,we don't drink).
As far as thinking to go back to London after 4 weeks I can only say that I don't like to waste time especially if I want my kid to go back to his old school.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been trolling this thread and here's my two pen'north.

Many of the older people on here rely on UK funds coming out, so at least for them the exchange rate is extremely relevant: their income has gone down by around 40% over the last eighteen months or so.

More to the general point, the mafia-like importer cartel mindset does make many things EXTREMELY expensive in whatever terms you care to use. I'm not talking 10 or 20 percent - but multiples.

Two examples of things I have bought recently: a replacement irrigation sprinkler cost $62.70 in my local irrigation shop (that's the recommended manufacturer's price) and it is recommended at US$11.95 in the US, available online for US$9.95. Australian price, even allowing for US sales tax, six times the US price for the same part no.

Another item: I bought velcro at IIRC about $6.95 per metre: the identical product on a US site was US$0.65 plus tax. The Australian cost: ten times the US price.

One can quibble about transport costs, taxes, etc etc but the fact remains that the Australian prices are big multiples of the prices abroad - and the bovine population here doesn't know or doesn't care that they are being ripped off big time on an hourly basis.

Don't get me started on the cost of fruit and veg
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Hahhahh this really is quite funny and ignorant.
Thats what I say everytime i read one of your posts, strangely enough
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats what I say everytime i read one of your posts, strangely enough
Pushing it a bit aren't you, I would just say ignorant cos I never laugh!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:46 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
just got back from Woollies...red bell peppers (the locals call them something stupid beginning with C) $9 a kilo AND the whole box on display were rotten, squashed and split

I did have a better experience a the super butcher though
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've just been trolling this thread and here's my two pen'north.

Many of the older people on here rely on UK funds coming out, so at least for them the exchange rate is extremely relevant: their income has gone down by around 40% over the last eighteen months or so.

More to the general point, the mafia-like importer cartel mindset does make many things EXTREMELY expensive in whatever terms you care to use. I'm not talking 10 or 20 percent - but multiples.

Two examples of things I have bought recently: a replacement irrigation sprinkler cost $62.70 in my local irrigation shop (that's the recommended manufacturer's price) and it is recommended at US$11.95 in the US, available online for US$9.95. Australian price, even allowing for US sales tax, six times the US price for the same part no.

Another item: I bought velcro at IIRC about $6.95 per metre: the identical product on a US site was US$0.65 plus tax. The Australian cost: ten times the US price.

One can quibble about transport costs, taxes, etc etc but the fact remains that the Australian prices are big multiples of the prices abroad - and the bovine population here doesn't know or doesn't care that they are being ripped off big time on an hourly basis.

$101 at the fruit and veg place
$91 at the butchers
$39 at the fishmongers
$125 at Woolworths

This is how much I spent just this morning, bloody ridiculous!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:48 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
just got back from Woollies...red bell peppers (the locals call them something stupid beginning with C) $9 a kilo AND the whole box on display were rotten, squashed and split

I did have a better experience a the super butcher though
That's what makes me very mad about the situation. The goods are so expensive that they're rotting on the shelf
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Pushing it a bit aren't you, I would just say ignorant cos I never laugh!
Yeah, true...its more of one of those humh, through the nose type laughs IYKWIM?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by northernbird
$101 at the fruit and veg place
$91 at the butchers
$39 at the fishmongers
$125 at Woolworths

This is how much I spent just this morning, bloody ridiculous!
HTF did you spend a hundred bucks on fruit and veg
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

What can I say, we eat a lot of it. My husband takes 3 bits of fruit a day to work. The kids probably eat another 2 each a day. I use at least 3 vegetables with dinner a day.

That did include a lettuce and 2 bananas so that probably accounts for $50 of that bill
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Must have bought a couple of Bananas

Edit.... told you so

Freaky part about that fruit and veg price.. this is the cheap time of year !
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Pears are affordable ATM. And there's nothing like a juicy pear
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:58 am
Just Joined

simo71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also shocked at the price of croissants/muffins ($3.40 each!),do they have gold in the flour?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.