Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by swigski
Local bank yesterday offered me a mortgage 6x combined household income which at todays interest rates would mean me paying 60% of my income or repayments.
Which bank is that one ?

An example of the CBA mortgage lending policy:

Commonwealth Bank

Home Loan - Based on the information you have provided,

Annual Gross Income
Person 1: $80,000
Person 2: $40,000

Combined Net income $7,850 pm

we estimate that you can borrow up to $539,307. (4.4 times combined income)

Over a period of 25 years at 6.240% per annum, repayments of $3,563 per month would be required to fulfill your Home Loan.

These repayments are = 45% of net income.

Loan Summary
Loan Product Home Loan
Interest Rate 6.240% per annum
Loan Term 25 years
Loan Amount $539,307
Monthly Repayments $3,563

Today's FX rate 1.79

Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which bank is that one ?

An example of the CBA mortgage lending policy:

Today's FX rate 1.79
Bankwest. Also have an account with Westpac and although their policy states similar to CBA, they are flexible to quite a large extent and offered me 5.5 times
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:23 pm
ABCDiamond

Looking at the CBA policy, it is interesting how the different wages create a different %, and remaining disposable incomes per month.

Annual Gross Income
Person 1: $200,000
Person 2: $100,000

Combined Net income $ 17,100 pm

we estimate that you can borrow up to $1,468,054.

Over a period of 25 years at 6.240% per annum, repayments of $9,684 per month would be required to fulfill your Home Loan.

These repayments are = 56% of net income.
leaving $7,416 disposable income per month

Loan Summary
Loan Product Home Loan
Loan Term 25 years, with a 0 year interest only period
Loan Amount $1,468,054
Monthly Repayments $9,684
and

Annual Gross Income
Person 1: $60,000
Person 2: $0

Combined Net income $ 3,940 pm

we estimate that you can borrow up to $115,679.

Over a period of 25 years at 6.240% per annum, repayments of $771 per month would be required to fulfill your Home Loan.

These repayments are = 20% of net income.
leaving $3,169 disposable income per month

Loan Summary
Loan Product Home Loan
Loan Term 25 years
Loan Amount $115,679
Monthly Repayments $771

Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:44 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Yes that is interesting and just by browsing through the various banks home loan pages and using their borrowing power calculators, you really do notice some difference. As I said Westpac on speaking to the staff, offered me considerably more than the website guide. I wonder whether the other big 3 would be the same?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:26 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

?[/QUOTE]

looks like 1-80 is the new support/resistance level for upwards
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Should we throw a party if/when it gets up to 1.93?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 17th 2009 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

M1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really nice

I will be haha!

It was 2.10+ when I was there earlier this year and been gutting watching it drop down over the last few months when I've had a planned trip since May. I sent some money from Natwest to ANZ the other day at 1.78 I think, which wasn't too bad as a business rate as consumer foreign exchange was at 1.72.

I already thought Australia was too expensive for things like food and drink, when a bottle of coke is at $3.60 thats £2 for one bloody bottle at my exchange rate!! The supermarket discounts there really are rubbish compared to ours, guess its to do with our population and consumption being much larger though.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Should we throw a party if/when it gets up to 1.93?
I'll join the party! Great idea, maybe that will be our xmas present!!??
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:02 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M1TCH
I will be haha!

It was 2.10+ when I was there earlier this year and been gutting watching it drop down over the last few months when I've had a planned trip since May. I sent some money from Natwest to ANZ the other day at 1.78 I think, which wasn't too bad as a business rate as consumer foreign exchange was at 1.72.

I already thought Australia was too expensive for things like food and drink, when a bottle of coke is at $3.60 thats £2 for one bloody bottle at my exchange rate!! The supermarket discounts there really are rubbish compared to ours, guess its to do with our population and consumption being much larger though.
Tesco: COCA COLA REGULAR 2 LTR BTL £1.56 ($AUS 2.81)
Woolies: Coca Cola Bottle 2L $3.54

Currently it is 26% more expensive in Woolies than Tescos. Come the southern Winter it will cost ~$1.80 / 2L and be more than 26% cheaper than Tescos.

It is approaching Summer in Australia and Winter in the UK so due to changes in demand the price goes up in Australia and down in the UK. The £UK has lost about 20% of its value against the $AUS over the last year.

Tap water is better - no sugar and costs nothing.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WillBlack

Currently it is 26% more expensive in Woolies than Tescos. Come the southern Winter it will cost ~$1.80 / 2L and be more than 26% cheaper than Tescos.

It is approaching Summer in Australia and Winter in the UK so due to changes in demand the price goes up in Australia and down in the UK. The £UK has lost about 20% of its value against the $AUS over the last year.

but tap water not so nice with a Jack Daniels!!!

Morrisons have a buy one bottle get 2 free offer advertised on TV this week!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:42 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
but tap water not so nice with a Jack Daniels!!!

Morrisons have a buy one bottle get 2 free offer advertised on TV this week!
Jack Daniels; an efficacious emetic.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:16 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

bought some flowers (from the UK) in Perth WA last week...

rate on credit card bill received today - £1 - Aud$1.696833

Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

M1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really niceM1TCH is just really nice

Originally Posted by WillBlack

Well the price of 2L bottles here is silly cheap compared to the small bottle prices. I can't say I've noticed the prices change here seasonally though.

I know oz small bottles are 600ml and UK 500ml so my comparison wasn't mathematically correct but it was just something I bought regularly (diet of course) that annoyed my with the price difference.

I drink a lot of tap water and that's one thing I find great in towns there, free water fountains!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:05 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's sitting at a smidge over 1.81 right now
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

showing a bit of fight now the pound,even on continuing bad uk economics..hmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.