Whatya Reading??

Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:09 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Both good, but very different. Just started Follet's new brieze block of a book. Luckily not in its paper version!! I could keep the door open in a gale with it...Century 1 - Fall of Giants. Starts in 1911 in South Wales in coal country. I'm guessing from the name other blocks will follow....Interesting so far, will be interesting to see if it keeps me as engaged as Pillars and World without End did.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

cant wait to hear what you think of the new book Testa - I loved the others as well but I'm worried that its hard act to follow ?

am reading another book by John O Farrell about competitive mums in London - its hilarious !!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Both good, but very different. Just started Follet's new brieze block of a book. Luckily not in its paper version!! I could keep the door open in a gale with it...Century 1 - Fall of Giants. Starts in 1911 in South Wales in coal country. I'm guessing from the name other blocks will follow....Interesting so far, will be interesting to see if it keeps me as engaged as Pillars and World without End did.
I too would be interested. I did pick it up but was disappointed that it was big letters so making the actual book a lot smaller, especially as I was at the airport and they wanted full price.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Hmmm I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author as The Kite Runner... how sad that book is but also how uplifting it is too.... I wish I hadn't got it out at the pool last night though when I was waiting for my kids as I couldn't help but sob at the unfairness of it all!! I won't spoil the plot but it is a reminder to me why my girlfriends are so important to me... how a bloke knew enough about it to write about it is beyond me... I guess that's why he's a writer though....
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Just read Alan Sugar's Autobiography. Interesting. The book is written as though he is sat having a beer and just telling you about himself.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Just read Alan Sugar's Autobiography. Interesting. The book is written as though he is sat having a beer and just telling you about himself.
I'm not very 'good' at reading autobiography. I think he has a very down to earth style on the apprentice too with the way he speaks to people. At least with him you would know where you stood....
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Update on Ken Follett. Am about 80% through and I'm enjoying it! You have to be vaguely interested (I wasn't massively so) in all the events leading up to WW1, women's suffrage, the unions, Russian revolution and the reasons the war went the way it did. I'm finding it all very interesting, plus there's a lead in, for the next book I think, to the gangster's in the US and that will probably deal with prohibition etc. It's a vast undertaking and some have complained that there are too many characters but I disagree, it kind of reminds me of War and Peace, not that I've read it but I saw the show!! I like the characters, none are particularly unsympathetic. Good read, worth getting I'd say!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

Ok so a few of you have just mentioned Ken Folletts books. Can you give the titles of the best ones please. I need to get some more books ordered soon. Thanks.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:49 pm
The Original Red Head!

Pillars of the Earth is the most well known and very popular here in Italy too! The sequel is World without End. The first one is 1100's I think - King Stephen is on the throne and all the big cathedrals are being built which is what the story kind of centres around - hence the name of the book! The second is a little later and also has some scenes here in Florence - the book was published and released in Italy first and Follett came and read from it in Piazza della Repubblica - it was packed!!

Century 1 - Fall of Giants is the one I'm reading now and is his newest. He also writes straight thriller/spy/political novels which I haven't tried yet but they are very, very different from these three!

Having read The Betrothed, which all Italian kids have to read at school like we do Shakespeare, I can understand why Pillars is so popular - most I speak to hated I Promessi but loved Pillars and they are very, very similar...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply TestaRossa. Though I think some part of your reply is missing,as I couldnt understand the last sentence!!!
I shall order the Pillars first.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:19 am
The Original Red Head!

Erm, it's complete this end, what's the last word??
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durobird
Thanks for the reply TestaRossa. Though I think some part of your reply is missing,as I couldnt understand the last sentence!!!
I shall order the Pillars first.
Anyone who likes Pillars should also read Edward Rutherford a similar style and type of historical novel. Best read is Sarum by him then followed by London. Years and years ago I got a book from the library called My England
by Mary............ most likely out of print now but again very very similar and a fantastic read.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

TestaRossa, heres the last sentence.....

I can understand why Pillars is so popular - most I speak to hated I Promessi but loved Pillars and they are very, very similar...

I think now that you just missed out the word "people" then it makes sense. Sorry about that!!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:08 am
The Original Red Head!

Or maybe it's a regional thing? "Most I speak to..." is something I regularly say or write. Most being short-hand if you like for "most people". But you got the gist and that's what matters!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Durobird - I've read alot of other Ken Follet books - some of them are really good (although Pillars of the Earth is my favourite)
The Third Twin, A Place called Freedom, Hornet Flight, Jackdaws.
Another author I like is Cecilia Aherne - modern day fairy tales

At the moment I'm having a spurt of ordering books by Val Mc Dermid and Ruth Rendell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.