Wikiposts

Whatya Reading??

Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Sarah Dunant - Sacred Hearts

an English friend sent it to me for my birthday as it's set in Renaissance Ferrara and so thought it might interest me.
I'd already read another one of her historical ones, when I knew she was in Ferrara researching this one. They're both a bit 'girlie' but a pleasant enough read and she seems to know her stuff.
I love her books, just got the new one about the Courtesan that I will have to start. They gave me a real insight into Italian life for the rich in the mediaeval times, especially the one about the 16 year old Serafina who they put in the convent. I used to walk through Lecce with all its magnificent churches and convents and think "God, they were religious in those days" now I know better and think with horror the suffering that went on behind those one-way doors!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I read '' The poisonwood bible '' last week , its great overall but I felt the second half was weaker than the first . I read it beacuse I have discovered an English Speaking Book club and went along to the first one on Tuesday . They meet once a month and the library has a reasonable range of books in english too . Anyone in the Parma area ( Chris you a book worm ? ) interested ?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as it arrives I am going to be reading this book because one of the guys mentioned in the book description was my grandfather's brother - executed by the Japs.
I only found out about this book yesterday and have ordered a copy for my dad and his sister too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Emperors...8415889&sr=8-1
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I read '' The poisonwood bible '' last week , its great overall but I felt the second half was weaker than the first . I read it beacuse I have discovered an English Speaking Book club and went along to the first one on Tuesday . They meet once a month and the library has a reasonable range of books in english too . Anyone in the Parma area ( Chris you a book worm ? ) interested ?
Hey HEP ... was everyone at this book club a native English speaker?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hey HEP ... was everyone at this book club a native English speaker?
..and why wasn't I invited?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , the people there were mostly Uk / USA native speakers , there were a couple of italians but their english was of an extreemly high standard. You don't need an invite , the next one is in february if anyone is interested .
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Hi , the people there were mostly Uk / USA native speakers , there were a couple of italians but their english was of an extreemly high standard. You don't need an invite , the next one is in february if anyone is interested .
Name of place? (just want to pinch their ideas...)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.biblioteche.comune.parma....ersazione.aspx

It's a local council library , it's also open until 10.00 pm ....
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.biblioteche.comune.parma....ersazione.aspx

It's a local council library , it's also open until 10.00 pm ....
Blimey .. you guys are avanti!
In our library they're really grumpy and give you funny looks if you arrive 5 minutes to closing time, or you can really annoy them by asking for information...There used to be a 'foreign books' section but I saw last time they moved in to a dark corner... nothing worth reading anyway.