Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Homework - how do you do it?

Homework - how do you do it?

Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough
Default Homework - how do you do it?

OH and I were having a 'discussion' about the ideal conditions for doing homework. We don't have desks in bedrooms, we use the dining table and my view is that the ones studying (bearing in mind they are 10 and 8) can't expect silence from the other two. HE thinks that absolute is a priority, however I think that they have to be able to block out distractions when they are older so they should learn now.

I'm really curious to know where your children do their homework.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:20 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework - how do you do it?

Mine are 12 and 9.
Chloe has a big desk in her bedroom but she doesn't always use it. I think it gets a bit lonely if she's in there for too long.

Both of them tend to prefer the big kitchen table.
I have seen Chloe reading and revising for tests sitting on the sofa in the lounge. I don't mind that too much as long as the TV is not on and she doesn't sit there to do written homework.
She uses the big desk more for art, geometry, geography etc. when she has to paint or copy maps or build cardboard shapes and she likes to have all her pens and paints spread out.

I don't think absolute silence is a must every day.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I usually do mine in my study. Never in the bedroom.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:32 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I usually do mine in my study. Never in the bedroom.
If only I had a nice, big library or a book filled room.

I have 100s of books in the lounge and my bedroom and the kids have lots too. I'd like to build a floor to ceiling shelving unit that goes from wall to wall and over the lounge door too, but materials and carpenters are too expensive.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If only I had a nice, big library or a book filled room.

I have 100s of books in the lounge and my bedroom and the kids have lots too. I'd like to build a floor to ceiling shelving unit that goes from wall to wall and over the lounge door too, but materials and carpenters are too expensive.
Tell me about it! I have got a study but it's not enough ..
I often ask myself what is to become of all my books ... and CDs...
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a perennial dad vs mum debate - here too!

I favour the dining room table, where I can keep an eye but not sit down and 'baby' him (11 in Feb). Living room, sofa, anywhere near TV or PS2 even if not on - which wouldn't be allowed when doing homework anyway - is a no-no.
His Dad favours that he does it in his bedroom (which therefore requires that he keeps his sufficiently large table CLEAR - rofl) UNLESS it's something ie Maths in English, that OH chooses to help with in which case dining room table.
But we generally disagree about helping with homework anyway, I take the hands off and encourage from afar unless asked approach, he prefers to sit and 'watch over'.
Oh, and books? School books are always in his bag and the relevant reference books usually on a shelf in the dining room. To complicate matters, the laptop can only be upstairs so if there's any googling to be done he has to disappear from view
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw

I favour the dining room table, where I can keep an eye but not sit down and 'baby' him (11 in Feb). Living room, sofa, anywhere near TV or PS2 even if not on - which wouldn't be allowed when doing homework anyway - is a no-no.
His Dad favours that he does it in his bedroom (which therefore requires that he keeps his sufficiently large table CLEAR - rofl) UNLESS it's something ie Maths in English, that OH chooses to help with in which case dining room table.
But we generally disagree about helping with homework anyway, I take the hands off and encourage from afar unless asked approach, he prefers to sit and 'watch over'.
Oh, and books? School books are always in his bag and the relevant reference books usually on a shelf in the dining room. To complicate matters, the laptop can only be upstairs so if there's any googling to be done he has to disappear from view
My OH is hardly ever here.
I don't sit and watch either. I ask them if they know what they're doing when they get their books and diary out and let them get on with it - unless they ask for help.
Alex at 9 will sometimes asks for maths or Italian help.
Chloe at 12 doesn't ask for help with her homework itself, but she will sometimes ask me to test her on something or ask how to pronounce certain words in French.

If Chloe just has reading left to do, I do let her sit on the sofa sometimes if her back has been bothering her and she's not got a lot to do. She props cushions and hot water bottles behind her when she's had enough of sitting of sitting on hard chairs.

Anyway - she starts "back school" on Friday this week.
Twice a week on Wednesdays and Fridays from 2.30 to 3.15pm at a cost of 12 Euro per session and the petrol to get her there and back.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrismcdonnell will become famous soon enough

I don't have children, but I think the perfect environment for homework is a mixture of those two things. Enough quiet to concentrate, but also with the freedom to move around and momentarily distract yourself (which often can give you answers to otherwise difficult problems).

But with little ones this is probably a different story
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fionamw

I think you have a point about mum vs dad. I like to know what they are up to. I only help when asked and don't make them get everything right. If I think they have the right concept then I'll leave them to make some errors. If they have worked at something for what I consider long enough, I tell them to stop and write a note to the teacher.

Our school has bigger things to worry about than my children not doing all their homework....

... http://www.prealpina.it/notizie/vare...no/2375540/55/
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by LivingHere
I think you have a point about mum vs dad. I like to know what they are up to. I only help when asked and don't make them get everything right. If I think they have the right concept then I'll leave them to make some errors. If they have worked at something for what I consider long enough, I tell them to stop and write a note to the teacher.

Our school has bigger things to worry about than my children not doing all their homework....

... http://www.prealpina.it/notizie/vare...no/2375540/55/
Good grief! How the hell did a kid get hold of pepper spray?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Good grief! How the hell did a kid get hold of pepper spray?
Apparantly is was an accident. I can imagine that an overprotective parent gave it to their daughter. I can remember having a rape alarm in my school bag when I was a teenager.
My children were full of tales of the fire brigade, police, ambulances etc.