Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

With the big tanks unless you own and can properly install with reinforced flooring and ventilaltion and such a big tank isnt worth it. Hard to move and well it will cause humidity issues as you say.

One reason I want a house to own is so I can have a large tank. Well 125 gallons or so.

If I won the lotto would not mind a 5k gallon or so...lol

My 30 gal causes no humidity issues.

Originally Posted by dbd33
We're renovating the kitchen, where the aquarium sits, and as part of that, I have a new tank and cabinet sitting in the garage. In due course the old one will be moved into the hall (somehow), the new one put in place (somehow) and the content of the old one transferred.

I've recently been following a marine forum and looking at videos of 500 and 600 gallon set ups (though mine isn't that big) and reading the questions. I've been quite shocked at how many are obviously in apartments or rented houses. People report all manner of humidity issues (complaints from other tenants) and some of the set ups are clearly taxing the strength of the floor.

It just seems bizarre to me to configure something that costs the price of a small car, and is difficult to move, in a rented flat.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Scooter has a maintenance issue. Not sure yet what is wrong. Its in the shop.

Hopefully nothing major.

If it is major and costly, getting to and from work will be difficult.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
With the big tanks unless you own and can properly install with reinforced flooring and ventilaltion and such a big tank isnt worth it. Hard to move and well it will cause humidity issues as you say.

One reason I want a house to own is so I can have a large tank. Well 125 gallons or so.

If I won the lotto would not mind a 5k gallon or so...lol

My 30 gal causes no humidity issues.
125 would be nice. The current one is a 75 gallon left by my daughter when she emigrated. (A free fish tank is, of course, as economical as a cheap Ferrari.) It's not specifically a salt water tank and that has caused some difficulties. The new one is a reef specific model and so should be easier to maintain. I'm eager to get to it but replacing the floor has to come first.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

When did Cadbury's lose their 's?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
When did Cadbury's lose their 's?
I don't know but a trip to dailymail.co.uk and a search on "country dogs gone to" should turn it up.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

What cruel bastard put an s in lisp?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but a trip to dailymail.co.uk and a search on "country dogs gone to" should turn it up.
Yep, when I searched that it was just full of stuff about how creme eggs are not the same anymore, and someone who isn't white and inbred is marrying into the royal family??
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

Yep, when I searched that it was just full of stuff about how creme eggs are not the same anymore, and someone who isn't white and inbred is marrying into the royal family??
And now you've done that search intelligence agencies all over the world have you down as a Farage voter.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

And now you've done that search intelligence agencies all over the world have you down as a Farage voter.
I'm fairly sure that anyone who knows me could have told them that.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:26 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Normally you can predict a headline in the Daily Mail by simply starting with the words "Fury as...", e.g. "Fury as Creme Eggs aren't the same any more."

I haven't seen any "Fury as brown immigrant seduces Our Prince Harry" stories yet, so perhaps the DM sycophancy to the Royals trumps its usual fury at brown people, immigrants and luvvies.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Normally you can predict a headline in the Daily Mail by simply starting with the words "Fury as...", e.g. "Fury as Creme Eggs aren't the same any more."

I haven't seen any "Fury as brown immigrant seduces Our Prince Harry" stories yet, so perhaps the DM sycophancy to the Royals trumps its usual fury at brown people, immigrants and luvvies.
I'm sure they are pleased as for them it's the equivalent of "some of my best friends are immigrants/women/black/luvvies.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 6:00 am
Account Closed

While I dont dislike my job, this sort of work was more rewarding when working for an airline and getting flight benefits that permitted one to travel often.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

While I dont dislike my job, this sort of work was more rewarding when working for an airline and getting flight benefits that permitted one to travel often.
I can see how that would help.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
I can see how that would help.
It was nice. I went somewhere pretty much weekly on my days off.

Once took a red eye to NYC had breakfast went to empire state building, world trade center, times square and statue of liberty, got dinner and took a 7pm flight back home to west coast.

When I lived in Phoenix a group of us from work all had Fri to Sun off so would fly down to Mexico almost weekly. I was early 20s then.

The airline I worked for was very generous could fly anywhere we flew free.

International was free but did require payment of some taxes.

We had 100 some odd agreements with other airlines as well.

Could for example fly on British Airways for $50 each way at the time. But I never went to Europe.

Ahh the good ole days of having freedom to travel.

We were not paid well but the flight benefits kept people around. I started in 1998 at 6.04 per hour.

When I left in 2003 I was up to 8.83 per hour.

They also provided single employees 100% healthcare no monthly premiums or co pays.

Pay was low but benfits were good.

All the flights I took would have been 150 or 200k if I had to purchase tickets. Had a lot of first class flights since we would be upgraded if room was available in first.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:42 am
limey party pooper

It was nice. I went somewhere pretty much weekly on my days off.

Once took a red eye to NYC had breakfast went to empire state building, world trade center, times square and statue of liberty, got dinner and took a 7pm flight back home to west coast.

When I lived in Phoenix a group of us from work all had Fri to Sun off so would fly down to Mexico almost weekly. I was early 20s then.

The airline I worked for was very generous could fly anywhere we flew free.

International was free but did require payment of some taxes.

We had 100 some odd agreements with other airlines as well.

Could for example fly on British Airways for $50 each way at the time. But I never went to Europe.

Ahh the good ole days of having freedom to travel.

We were not paid well but the flight benefits kept people around. I started in 1998 at 6.04 per hour.

When I left in 2003 I was up to 8.83 per hour.

They also provided single employees 100% healthcare no monthly premiums or co pays.

Pay was low but benfits were good.

All the flights I took would have been 150 or 200k if I had to purchase tickets. Had a lot of first class flights since we would be upgraded if room was available in first.
That does sound fun. Good for you for taking advantage of it, I'm sure I'd have been a boring old fart and stayed at home.

And talking of travelling, what paperwork did you need for your dog when you crossed the border? Just a rabies certificate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.