Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I did a 23.5 hour day yesterday, thankfully it wasn't all at work, only 17 hours of it was at work, the rest was commuting time, and some time off between the 2 shifts.

Not sure I'll do that again anytime soon...

I've done back to back shifts in my time . Killer.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've done back to back shifts in my time...
I've done back to back days off...does that count?
Old Aug 13th 2017, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not the most fun. Any other day would have been easier, but on Saturday's due to cruise ships, we have massive influx of passengers, bags and flights.

And cruise ship passengers pack extremely heavy bags.

Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Once there was a computing "disaster" and we had to recover from it. I was awake at my desk for 12 hours short of a week. Filling in the timesheet was wonderful, 24, 24, 24, etc. Alas, I was an employee so I couldn't bill for 24 hours in each day.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:21 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Once there was a computing "disaster" and we had to recover from it. I was awake at my desk for 12 hours short of a week. Filling in the timesheet was wonderful, 24, 24, 24, etc. Alas, I was an employee so I couldn't bill for 24 hours in each day.
That sounds dreadful - the most I did was about 40 hours, then I went straight from work to a Hawkwind concert. Even the loudness of that concert couldn't keep me awake, I fell asleep near one of the speakers - I am so sure that is why my ears don't work properly!!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
That sounds dreadful - the most I did was about 40 hours, then I went straight from work to a Hawkwind concert. Even the loudness of that concert couldn't keep me awake, I fell asleep near one of the speakers - I am so sure that is why my ears don't work properly!!
I had a phase of working the regular week and then system testing from the early hours of Sunday morning until late in the afternoon. We'd then go to pub for a cheap drunk and then drive home. Inevitably, one of the team put his silver machine into the ditch.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Once there was a computing "disaster"
Lucky to have recovered from this. I remember reading that a fair proportion of small businesses fail after a significant computer failure. The issue is that money that the business owes never gets forgotten but the business loses track of money owed to it and it simply runs out of money.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If 18 hour days were sustainable long term, I would do more of them just for the money. $240 to be made in an 18 hour day. But it's not sustainable, damn need for sleep.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dave_j
Lucky to have recovered from this. I remember reading that a fair proportion of small businesses fail after a significant computer failure. The issue is that money that the business owes never gets forgotten but the business loses track of money owed to it and it simply runs out of money.
It wasn't a small business and there was a contingency plan, even a hot recovery site in another city, but the problem, malicious damage to data, was one that hadn't been foreseen. It's something that one thinks of in the context of some foreign based "hacker" but I've dealt with several cases of disgruntled employees messing with databases. I don't have a lot of faith in numbers found in computers.

<Looks right to an advert for SAP Crystal Reports and chuckles>
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Hummingbird wars. I am being dive-bombed. Why can't they take turns, or share?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Credit union we use is having issues, online banking isn't working, debit isn't working either.

Only option is in branch and get cash from a teller, which I am sure will have a line a mile long.

One reason I don't see 100% electronic payments, if society went cashless what happens in this sort of event? Happens a few times a year at least.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

I need 1 day off next month, asked more then a month in advance, and nope can't have it off.

So frustrating.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Why was such a business unable to back up its data? External hard drives cost next to nothing. Why would such a business not keep paper copies of its invoices?
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
can't have it off. So frustrating.
Understood .
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
...a Hawkwind concert...
My first live band

...one of the team put his silver machine into the ditch.
...you shouldn't do that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.