Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by becks_r
Last Thanksgiving I got a turkey from a local farm - delicious. Then at the weekend after I was going to make a turkey, leek and ham pie to take to a friends house. I didn't want to use the ultra expensive turkey, so I went to the local supermarket the day after Thanksgiving to buy a half price organic turkey. It was only when I got home that I realised it hadn't been scanned, the guy at the checkout but it in a bag before scanning it and forgot!

I was thinking of taking it back, but then I remembered all the food I have brought from that store that I have had to throw out, often the next day, because it was rotten - they have cost me loads over the years. I even had a watermelon filled with mold when I cut it open a day after buying it! Seemed like Karma......
I like raspberries and blueberries and several times...despite checking the packages...I have found them to be ‘off’. I have returned them to the store...no receipt...and the store has replaced them.

The original issue was with Costco. I am a great supporter of Costco. Their customer service/returns is the very best IMO. They also treat their staff very well..and have an extremely low staff turnover because of this. I return a fair amount of purchases...but I do not abuse it. If I found something I hadn’t been charged for I would return it...because the last thing I want is for them to downgrade their returns policy.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like raspberries and blueberries and several times...despite checking the packages...I have found them to be ‘off’. I have returned them to the store...no receipt...and the store has replaced them.

The original issue was with Costco. I am a great supporter of Costco. Their customer service/returns is the very best IMO. They also treat their staff very well..and have an extremely low staff turnover because of this. I return a fair amount of purchases...but I do not abuse it. If I found something I hadn’t been charged for I would return it...because the last thing I want is for them to downgrade their returns policy.
I like Jaffa cakes especially when I'm having a long go on the toilet. I like them because they're easy to get out of the packet using one hand, rather important if you have already started wiping.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:57 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've had people ask me where I work when I've seen them daytime in the week

But now that I think of it, not for a couple of years. Perhaps I now have the air of someone retired.
I got that a lot when I moved into this neighbourhood. Many of the neighbours thought I was retired (I was 41 FFS!).

It's easier now because quite a few of my neighbours work partly from home.

I still have some problems explaining to people that I work from home for a company in another country.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I like Jaffa cakes especially when I'm having a long go on the toilet. I like them because they're easy to get out of the packet using one hand, rather important if you have already started wiping.
But what if the chocolate melts and
Spoiler:
you didn't think I'd take that any further did you?

not what you think
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:04 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit naughty a few years ago.

We got someone in to fix a crack in the foundation. The guy fixed it, cemented over it and propped up a sheet of scrap wood to cover it in case of rain. He told me to just chuck the bit of wood on my driveway and someone would pick it up the next day. I did. Next to a large pile of scrap decking I'd been wondering what to do with.

The guy who showed up swore a bit. I kept a straight face.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I still have some problems explaining to people that I work from home for a company in another country.
Might be easier (or more fun at least) to tell them you're a spy waiting for your next mission.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:32 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Might be easier (or more fun at least) to tell them you're a spy waiting for your next mission.
Not nice to bs the neighbours and getting rumbled by the mounties sounds hilarious.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:45 am
Oscar nominated

We have a very nice clock on the top of a bookcase. It's the sort that looks 'vintage' but isn't - it has the battery bit on the back so common to the cheapest of alarm clocks and wall clocks.

It arrived a few months after we moved here, addressed to someone who was neither of the couple we bought from, left on the doorstep by the courier company.

I wrote to the company on the package telling them and saying it was available for collection or whatever they wanted to do.

Heard nothing back so eventually we opened it to find the Bulova clock.

I always felt a bit guilty (wondering if it might have been a retirement gift or something) but it wasn't practical to do anything else. I imagine whoever expected it chased it up and got a replacement.

Anyway, there it now sits, 12 years on.

I snipped a wire - UXB style - because it was chiming loudly every hour

It appears to be one of these Bulova mantel clock B1843 Bramley
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Last Friday there were several houses on a couple lots.

Today no house and a fairly deep hole.

Quick at tearing down the houses once they start.

More expensive condos being put up.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I realise this is the ‘Random Stuff’ thread...WTF has Jaffa cakes to do with anything? Don’t answer that ‘cos hubby loves Jaffa cakes...I prefer a McVitie’s dark choc digestive.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:39 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I realise this is the ‘Random Stuff’ thread...WTF has Jaffa cakes to do with anything? Don’t answer that ‘cos hubby loves Jaffa cakes...I prefer a McVitie’s dark choc digestive.
Apparently some people need them to concentrate the mind when dealing with the more important details of life, like which hand does what.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I got that a lot when I moved into this neighbourhood. Many of the neighbours thought I was retired (I was 41 FFS!).

It's easier now because quite a few of my neighbours work partly from home.

Oh me too! And when I tell them I work overnight, when the UK people have finished for the day - and that I work online, I sometimes get asked do I work as 'one of those sex telephone on line call people'.

Urm, no. Bet they earn more than me though!

Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:20 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh me too! And when I tell them I work overnight, when the UK people have finished for the day - and that I work online, I sometimes get asked do I work as 'one of those sex telephone on line call people'.

Urm, no. Bet they earn more than me though!

A lot of people seem to have trouble grasping the concept. They assume that because I'm at home during the day and am scruffy, I'm retired/unemployed/a kept man.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I am too nice I think.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sometimes I am too nice I think.
Comfortable with who you are. That's what's important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.