Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe I can surpass that for weird toilet behavior. Yesterday I used my smart phone to record a man in the next cubicle and then invited my colleagues to speculate as to who it was. "Meg Ryan" was a pretty good guess.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:34 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I can surpass that for weird toilet behavior. Yesterday I used my smart phone to record a man in the next cubicle and then invited my colleagues to speculate as to who it was. "Meg Ryan" was a pretty good guess.
Was this an audio recording or photographic?

And who was being weird?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Was this an audio recording or photographic?

And who was being weird?
Audio!

I'd be surprised if you knew him, the anglicised version of his name is unusual. It's as if the immigration guy said "what's your name in English?" and he looked around, saw an air conditioner or similar appliance and took the word from that. (This assuming there aren't two people in the office with shoes like that).
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I also use a paper towel to open the door when I am leaving public toilets. Beat that.
Like so many that use their cell/smart phone while doing their thing in the 'public toilets', even if they wash their hands & use a "paper towel or bog paper' to open the restroom door

Or another one, how many after being to the Lav (with or without the cell/smart phone in hand) share the TV remote control, all while sharing/eating hand foods with other people ... sandwich, popcorn, chips, wings, pizza etc

Last edited by not2old; Feb 24th 2017 at 2:16 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:19 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mines girlfriend had this paranoia about picking up germs from everywhere.

Kindly he pointed out how many germs are certainly on the button to operate pedestrian lights in London, meaning that unless she had gloves or there was someone else around, she had to look for zebra crossings...

For the rest of you, 2 months in Lagos should sort you out.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I recall my first public restroom in old Mexico, with 3" of sewage to walk through to get to the toilet..... didn't get further than the door.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 24th 2017 at 2:43 pm. Reason: the never ending quest for perfection
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
What is the 'mustn't let a germ touch me' generation coming to?

My grandchildren play with sheep, chickens and pigs and play with a dog that thrives on eating sheep poo and rolling around in it. They are still alive.

When I was young, we didn't have disinfected McDonalds play areas to amuse us but we did have gutters to play in, the kerbs being just the right height for little beggars to sit on. We scooped up horse poo left in streets for the garden and we played in bomb sites, fished the local ponds for sticklebacks and collected caterpillars and bugs. Surprisingly I'm still alive. I put down my good health to the resistance I built up when I was young and I'm allergic to nothing.

We can be a little over-protective when we try to do the right thing sometimes.
I think you are massively over optimistic about the cleanliness of soft play areas.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I also use a paper towel to open the door when I am leaving public toilets. Beat that.
Me too. But then I only use public toilets if I absolutely have to.

You're right. Recording someone in the loo is pretty weird. And probably illegal.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Feb 24th 2017 at 2:30 pm. Reason: Don't how the sas got in there. But it's probably top secret.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 2:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel

A friend of mines girlfriend had this paranoia about picking up germs from everywhere.

Kindly he pointed out how many germs are certainly on the button to operate pedestrian lights in London, meaning that unless she had gloves or there was someone else around, she had to look for zebra crossings...

For the rest of you, 2 months in Lagos should sort you out.

I can relate to that having worked in Guangzhou China, Daegu & Busan South Korea.

It's not just the shared TV remote control, germs are everywhere, no getting away from them

When outside your home, at all times, wear non-latex surgical gloves, an 'ear loop face mask' & a hat strange but true, imagine the looks

Is there something those 'glove wearing Burka' weirdo know that we don't?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 24th 2017 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
And probably illegal.
Oh yes, I expect it would fall foul of any sort of creeping law.

Ironically I've been arguing for years that we should take down the spy cameras at our office, not for legal reasons but because I would not want to watch the films and am not comfortable with anyone else in the firm doing so.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If one has a phobia of germs, best to avoid hotels.

And never use the duvet or the glasses in the rooms unless disposable and wrapped in plastic.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

how does one avoid using the duvet in a hotel room?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Most hotels have a sheet on the bed that can be used as a blanket or you can call front desk and ask for an extra sheet.

This request is quite common.

Duvet is cleaned once or twice a year or as needed.

Where sheets are washed each time someone checks out and a new guest is checking in.

Some chains (typically the higher end brands) do wash the duvet cover each new guest but its far from industry standard yet.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
how does one avoid using the duvet in a hotel room?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 24th 2017 at 5:54 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 6:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

After receiving a complaint about the draft I was asked to have a short beer, from all 4 kegs presently in service. Sure enough, one was bad. Somebody has to do it.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:13 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Me too. But then I only use public toilets if I absolutely have to.
In many places the street is far better than the cubicle. I had this debate on several sites where I refused to use the "managerial" toilets and insisted on using the same tree/ fence as the workers.

Originally Posted by not2old

I can relate to that having worked in Guangzhou China, Daegu & Busan South Korea.

It's not just the shared TV remote control, germs are everywhere, no getting away from them

When outside your home, at all times, wear non-latex surgical gloves, an 'ear loop face mask' & a hat strange but true, imagine the looks

Is there something those 'glove wearing Burka' weirdo know that we don't?

Peeing in the concrete gulley certainly astounded some of the locals. I would stop short of having a dump at the side of the road though.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Drone captures great white shark approach unsuspecting surfer in Australia | Watch News Videos Online

Drone caught video of a great white getting awfully close to a surfer in Australia. No attack, video is safe to watch for all audiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.