Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:10 am
  #1471  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, Super Natural British Columbia
Posts: 2,072
withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
One of TFWS I work with Visa and SIN expired this week, the business owners are surprised she couldn't just go and get a new SIN....erm hello people, did you apply for an extension???
The TFW wasn't up to speed either by the look of things....
withabix is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:11 am
  #1472  
 
Piff Poff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 10,614
Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by withabix
The TFW wasn't up to speed either by the look of things....
She was just going on what she had been told. Neither parties listened to myself or the other PR working there
Piff Poff is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:25 am
  #1473  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,686
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The crazy thing at the LCBO are the signs and the occasional warning over the tannoy
"tannoy", now that's a blast from the past
not2old is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:27 am
  #1474  
me/moi
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,539
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The crazy thing at the LCBO are the signs and the occasional warning over the tannoy that those under 19 are not to touch/handle the products. I recall going to the LCBO with my son who was about 14 at the time and I asked him to pick up a bottle of wine from a shelf. An LCBO staff member told me that was forbidden and I just gave him a withering glance and dared him to arrest me.
Whilst the LCBO may have a monopoly on liquor sales, they don't appear to have a monopoly on thick jobsworths:

Dad slams Tesco for refusing to sell him beer as he's with 21-year-old daughter - Mirror Online
Shard is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:32 am
  #1475  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,686
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Shard
Whilst the LCBO may have a monopoly on liquor sales, they don't appear to have a monopoly on thick jobsworths:

Dad slams Tesco for refusing to sell him beer as he's with 21-year-old daughter - Mirror Online
Totally thick policy

Tesco loses another customer
not2old is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:51 am
  #1476  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

A new rum in Sask liquor stores, Lemon Hart Blackpool Spiced. It has a bit more of the salt and the sea about it than Sailor Jerry. About time they got another Guyanan rum in.
caretaker is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:59 am
  #1477  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 51,678
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

It's an old irritation of mine but I really don't like the term jobsworth.

"It's more 'n my job's worth to let you park there."

Well, it is isn't it? You want to park unlawfully and you want someone else specifically employed to uphold that rule to let you break the rule and risk their job. What makes you so special?

You want someone to turn a blind eye to that undeclared income; going through a red light; faulty bit of safety equipment; tell you the lab test result they typed up ready for the doctor; report the minutes of a confidential meeting; reveal the secret recipe; slip you that $100 from the till while nobody's looking; let you in without a ticket; park in that 'disabled parking' space etc etc

If it is their job to do something who gives you the right to belittle them?

Having said that...the Tesco example certainly appears to be a case not of someone doing their job but going a bit power mad. Not using common sense. That's what they should be criticised for.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:09 pm
  #1478  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Well this is worthwhile....and for his next trick he is going to burrow through an elephant

French artist Abraham Poincheval entombs himself in boulder - BBC News
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:34 pm
  #1479  
me/moi
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,539
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's an old irritation of mine but I really don't like the term jobsworth.

"It's more 'n my job's worth to let you park there."

Well, it is isn't it? You want to park unlawfully and you want someone else specifically employed to uphold that rule to let you break the rule and risk their job. What makes you so special?

You want someone to turn a blind eye to that undeclared income; going through a red light; faulty bit of safety equipment; tell you the lab test result they typed up ready for the doctor; report the minutes of a confidential meeting; reveal the secret recipe; slip you that $100 from the till while nobody's looking; let you in without a ticket; park in that 'disabled parking' space etc etc

If it is their job to do something who gives you the right to belittle them?

Having said that...the Tesco example certainly appears to be a case not of someone doing their job but going a bit power mad. Not using common sense. That's what they should be criticised for.
Isn't that the popular meaning of jobsworth though, somebody with a small amount of power, that uses it to excess? Somebody dispensing with judgement, and applying often inane regulations to an over exacting degree.

For example, when my kid was around 3 I let him sit in the big part of the shopping trolley, and never had any comments until one day in Tesco, some young assistant strode up and instructed me that riding in the trolley was strictly prohibited. Naturally we complied, but he seemed like a complete jobsworth (for want of a better word) to me.
Shard is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:54 pm
  #1480  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,371
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Shard
Isn't that the popular meaning of jobsworth though, somebody with a small amount of power, that uses it to excess? Somebody dispensing with judgement, and applying often inane regulations to an over exacting degree.

For example, when my kid was around 3 I let him sit in the big part of the shopping trolley, and never had any comments until one day in Tesco, some young assistant strode up and instructed me that riding in the trolley was strictly prohibited. Naturally we complied, but he seemed like a complete jobsworth (for want of a better word) to me.
Don't forget that he could have been transferring dog poo from his shoes to the trolley, where people put their food, and any other nasty he may have on his clothes, so there is a genuine reason for the rule.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:17 pm
  #1481  
me/moi
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,539
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget that he could have been transferring dog poo from his shoes to the trolley, where people put their food, and any other nasty he may have on his clothes, so there is a genuine reason for the rule.
Hmmm...yeah I suppose you have point there
Shard is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:59 pm
  #1482  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 51,678
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Shard
Isn't that the popular meaning of jobsworth though, somebody with a small amount of power, that uses it to excess? ...
I don't think so. That would be 'little Hitler' which is also open to similar misuse.

I dunno, maybe you (general you) need to have done one of those jobs where the term is slung at those doing the job. The most obvious one is someone having to apply the rules for the greater part of their job, like a traffic warden or other parking attendant. They have a little power but are expected to use it. Of course, there may be some who relish using it.

I gave a few examples because in all walks of life there are situations where one could turn a blind eye or could reveal information one knows but it's not 'right' to do so.

Everyone just thinks that there are good reasons not to do so for their situation but someone else is a jobsworth.

While I'm in whingeing mode it's the same as the other stereotypes. Milkmen clank their bottles (or cartons ) deliberately at 5.00am; dustmen leave rubbish strewn over the path and the bins thrown over; 'the taxman' is evil; postmen are lazy and can't read addresses; lawyers are grasping scoundrels; businessmen are all useless fatcats; secretaries are chatterboxes who sit around filing their nails (especially the male ones); any number of folk "don't know their arse from their elbow" etc etc..
Everyone believes them but in many cases the same lazy stereotypes are applied to their own field of work and they know them to be false. So what happened to "hang on a minute, it's not true that I carry out my job with sadistic fervour, in the rare moments when I actually have something to do other than drinking tea and counting my expenses...so maybe the same isn't true of people in other jobs similarly stereotyped..."


Originally Posted by mikelincs
...so there is a genuine reason for the rule.
Originally Posted by Shard
Hmmm...yeah I suppose you have point there
Exactly.

See, you get public information films on the telly showing the dangers of parking near a junction and we all nod and tut-tut at the thoughtless driver.

But then when "you" do it and the traffic warden tells you to move on you say "I'll only be two minutes" - and it only takes a few seconds for that to amount to loss of life or a lifetime of disability.

"I tell you, he was a right jobsworth, I was only popping in for a paper."

BristolUK is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:30 am
  #1483  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,363
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by not2old
"tannoy", now that's a blast from the past
On a forum like this I thought I could be assured it would be understood. Maybe a poster like yourself doesn't use such old words and has a more modern vocabulary
Partially discharged is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:33 am
  #1484  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,363
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the car rental firm we used in France saying that I was spotted via some traffic camera speeding and that I would be getting a fine Not sure yet of the fine but based on the time of day I was either on a 110 km/h road or a 130 km/h road.

Last time I got a speeding ticket was in 2012 in Spain...same thing..traffic camera. Caught going 113 km/h in a 100 km/h zone and they sent me a fine...bloody jobsworths (just trying to connect it to earlier postings in this thread). No connection with my Ontario drivers licence or insurance.

Before that it was 1990 in Markham so I'm not in the dangerous drivers category.

All 3 tickets on manuals. Unfortuanately in that regard I've had a manual for the last 3 years here in Ontario so I could be due for a local ticket.
Partially discharged is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:41 am
  #1485  
 
Piff Poff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 10,614
Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the car rental firm we used in France saying that I was spotted via some traffic camera speeding and that I would be getting a fine Not sure yet of the fine but based on the time of day I was either on a 110 km/h road or a 130 km/h road.

Last time I got a speeding ticket was in 2012 in Spain...same thing..traffic camera. Caught going 113 km/h in a 100 km/h zone and they sent me a fine...bloody jobsworths (just trying to connect it to earlier postings in this thread). No connection with my Ontario drivers licence or insurance.

Before that it was 1990 in Markham so I'm not in the dangerous drivers category.

All 3 tickets on manuals. Unfortuanately in that regard I've had a manual for the last 3 years here in Ontario so I could be due for a local ticket.
My husband just received a fine from France from December, he was doing 59 in a 50, it was a fair cop and we expected something as we saw the camera flash.
Piff Poff is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.