Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget that he could have been transferring dog poo from his shoes to the trolley, where people put their food, and any other nasty he may have on his clothes, so there is a genuine reason for the rule.
God yes!! I hate to see large kids sat in the trolleys for that very reason. Disgusting...make them walk. I also hate it if the cashier puts my groceries in the bit where the little kids sit. Please don't put my groceries where kids with dirty nappies/diapers sit. I hate to say it but it seems to be a common practice with my favourite store...Costco.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If you need to use a trolly when shopping you're eating too much crap.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

If you're using a trolley when shopping, you're not Canadian enough yet.

It's a cart apparently.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
God yes!! I hate to see large kids sat in the trolleys for that very reason. Disgusting...make them walk. I also hate it if the cashier puts my groceries in the bit where the little kids sit. Please don't put my groceries where kids with dirty nappies/diapers sit. I hate to say it but it seems to be a common practice with my favourite store...Costco.
What kind of groceries would one buy at Costco that aren't either wrapped in packaging or supplied with a disposable skin?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:42 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What kind of groceries would one buy at Costco that aren't either wrapped in packaging or supplied with a disposable skin?
Hotdogs?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What difference does that make? I have to handle it...then the wrapped food goes into my shopping bag...then it goes into my cupboard or fridge.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

What difference does that make? I have to handle it...then the wrapped food goes into my shopping bag...then it goes into my cupboard or fridge.
are the "groceries" that you purchased at Costco that went into that filthy dirty shopping (diaper ridden) cart contaminated when they are wrapped & finally end up in your cupboard?

What about all those germs on your hands from the shopping cart handle that you contaminated everything that you touched, including oinks 'Hot Dog' that had condiments on the hot dog from the contaminated condiment dispensers

They should shut down Costco just for the contamination of everything in the store starting with those shopping carts , the touching & passing along all those germs... 'Contagion'
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped a bag of frozen shrimps in the Costco car park. I picked them up, tossed them in the boot of the car where, I expect, a CSI technician could find traces of diesel, petrol and household rubbish, and drove them home. Subsequently, I made shrimp and grits with them and no one died. No one died because, if the food is in a bag, it doesn't matter if the bag gets dirty - we don't eat the bag. Similarly, if the food is unbagged but you don't eat the skin, like a pineapple, it doesn't matter if the skin gets dirty.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the great cart debate, two exceptions for me, would be peppers and tomatoes. Since I'm usually only picking up or two, I don't put them in the individual bags, as I think it's wasteful. I do wash them thoroughly before use, and I also tend to use the hand-carried basket rather than the wheeled cart.

Frankly, I'd be more worried about all the germs that you're coming into contact by simply touching the handle of the carts, then what the food may be exposed to - in most cases, you're cooking the food beforehand
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:00 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

What is the 'mustn't let a germ touch me' generation coming to?

My grandchildren play with sheep, chickens and pigs and play with a dog that thrives on eating sheep poo and rolling around in it. They are still alive.

When I was young, we didn't have disinfected McDonalds play areas to amuse us but we did have gutters to play in, the kerbs being just the right height for little beggars to sit on. We scooped up horse poo left in streets for the garden and we played in bomb sites, fished the local ponds for sticklebacks and collected caterpillars and bugs. Surprisingly I'm still alive. I put down my good health to the resistance I built up when I was young and I'm allergic to nothing.

We can be a little over-protective when we try to do the right thing sometimes.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
What is the 'mustn't let a germ touch me' generation coming to?

My grandchildren play with sheep, chickens and pigs and play with a dog that thrives on eating sheep poo and rolling around in it. They are still alive.

When I was young, we didn't have disinfected McDonalds play areas to amuse us but we did have gutters to play in, the kerbs being just the right height for little beggars to sit on. We scooped up horse poo left in streets for the garden and we played in bomb sites, fished the local ponds for sticklebacks and collected caterpillars and bugs. Surprisingly I'm still alive. I put down my good health to the resistance I built up when I was young and I'm allergic to nothing.

We can be a little over-protective when we try to do the right thing sometimes.
I used to eat raw potatos with soil clinging, dug up with my grubby paws from the bottom of the garden, rhubarb nicked from the garden (no doubt complete with the horse droppings my Dad used to put on them) unwashed, screw of sugar in brown paper filched from the kitchen to dip it in.. always with soil laden hands! I've even been known to eat a worm or two in my very young days. I've no allergies either!

I too remember fishing for sticklebacks (and clearing out the very dirty stream in my garden, complete with frogspawn), picking up frogs, catching stag beetles, catching king newts (which apparently my dog ate) and generally not being shouted at for any of those things. The concept of danger from germs never crossed my mind.. and I still don't worry about them overly.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 23rd 2017 at 6:35 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I used to eat raw potatos with soil clinging, dug up with my grubby paws from the bottom of the garden, rhubarb nicked from the garden (no doubt complete with the horse droppings my Dad used to put on them) unwashed, screw of sugar in brown paper filched from the kitchen to dip it in.. always with soil laden hands! I've even been known to eat a worm or two in my very young days. I've no allergies either!

I too remember fishing for sticklebacks (and clearing out the very dirty stream in my garden, complete with frogspawn), picking up frogs, catching stag beetles, catching king newts (which apparently my dog ate) and generally not being shouted at for any of those things. The concept of danger from germs never crossed my mind.. and I still don't worry about them overly.

It's all good -apart from Godfrey, the sizeable tapeworm that has been feasting in your guts for the last forty years or so at least he keeps you looking slim!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
On a forum like this I thought I could be assured it would be understood. Maybe a poster like yourself doesn't use such old words and has a more modern vocabulary
I believe that Tannoy (a company) still exists.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by not2old
are the "groceries" that you purchased at Costco that went into that filthy dirty shopping (diaper ridden) cart contaminated when they are wrapped & finally end up in your cupboard?

What about all those germs on your hands from the shopping cart handle that you contaminated everything that you touched, including oinks 'Hot Dog' that had condiments on the hot dog from the contaminated condiment dispensers

They should shut down Costco just for the contamination of everything in the store starting with those shopping carts , the touching & passing along all those germs... 'Contagion'
I dropped a bag of frozen shrimps in the Costco car park. I picked them up, tossed them in the boot of the car where, I expect, a CSI technician could find traces of diesel, petrol and household rubbish, and drove them home. Subsequently, I made shrimp and grits with them and no one died. No one died because, if the food is in a bag, it doesn't matter if the bag gets dirty - we don't eat the bag. Similarly, if the food is unbagged but you don't eat the skin, like a pineapple, it doesn't matter if the skin gets dirty.
I also use a paper towel to open the door when I am leaving public toilets. Beat that.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

I also use a paper towel to open the door when I am leaving public toilets. Beat that.
I believe I can surpass that for weird toilet behavior. Yesterday I used my smart phone to record a man in the next cubicle and then invited my colleagues to speculate as to who it was. "Meg Ryan" was a pretty good guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.