Student Visa - Medicals

Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa - Medicals

That is a very good question, none yet. I haven't had a tape measure until this weekend to send off for quotes. If I can make myself get off my ass I might send out some e-mails this evening, I will let you know what sort of prices come back.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Scottiew is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Pumpkin that will be spot on when you do, just to give me some idea
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:34 am
Just Joined

SirDigbyChickenCaesar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a student visa

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd post as we've been through this and it might be helpful! I applied for a student visa (studying a degree course) myself, and although there's lots of paperwork involved it's nothing that a few phone calls and a bit of chasing can't do. It's only worth getting an agent involved if you're very busy or you might have problems with the application (the immigration people are very helpful when it gets started).
On a degree visa you can work 20 hours a week, and full time in the holidays BUT your OH can only work 20 hours a week whatever the time of year (with a masters, your OH can work full time). The meds weren't expensive but get them couriered! We did, but they still got lost in the system, and were found only because we knew who'd picked them up! Good thing is that they are valid for one year, so if you do happen to need a 457 visa in that time things will be speeded up.
Another good tip is look at flying via the USA, as you get pretty much double the allowance in weight because the international restrictions are different (I rang around many airlines, and they won't give you double with a student visa the meanies). We went Air New Zealand, which was a fantastic flight (great food) and allows you 44lb each in lugagge. Also has a very funky website where you can check the prices of flights for each day obsessively as they go up and down a lot (but as it's via the US it's longer, 33hrs. Although TBH I'd do that again for fun, brilliant in-flght entertainment).
Anyway, it's worth it! Aus is great...who knew there was blue sky behind the clouds eh!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting a student visa

Originally Posted by SirDigbyChickenCaesar
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd post as we've been through this and it might be helpful! I applied for a student visa (studying a degree course) myself, and although there's lots of paperwork involved it's nothing that a few phone calls and a bit of chasing can't do. It's only worth getting an agent involved if you're very busy or you might have problems with the application (the immigration people are very helpful when it gets started).
On a degree visa you can work 20 hours a week, and full time in the holidays BUT your OH can only work 20 hours a week whatever the time of year (with a masters, your OH can work full time). The meds weren't expensive but get them couriered! We did, but they still got lost in the system, and were found only because we knew who'd picked them up! Good thing is that they are valid for one year, so if you do happen to need a 457 visa in that time things will be speeded up.
Another good tip is look at flying via the USA, as you get pretty much double the allowance in weight because the international restrictions are different (I rang around many airlines, and they won't give you double with a student visa the meanies). We went Air New Zealand, which was a fantastic flight (great food) and allows you 44lb each in lugagge. Also has a very funky website where you can check the prices of flights for each day obsessively as they go up and down a lot (but as it's via the US it's longer, 33hrs. Although TBH I'd do that again for fun, brilliant in-flght entertainment).
Anyway, it's worth it! Aus is great...who knew there was blue sky behind the clouds eh!
Hiya,

Cheers for the info!!

Regarding the luggage weight, did you mean 44kg? As 44 lbs is under 20kg and I thought 20kg was about what other airlines would allow. Totally crap that they don't give double!!!

Also, how easy/hard did you find it getting work?

cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Might be a stupid question but how would flight companies know that you were going on a Student visa couldn't you just say you were emigrating on a temporary visa as your only booking a one way flight or do they need proof of your visa at time of booking.

Russell and Sarah
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carlton Cold's
Might be a stupid question but how would flight companies know that you were going on a Student visa couldn't you just say you were emigrating on a temporary visa as your only booking a one way flight or do they need proof of your visa at time of booking.

Russell and Sarah
I'm sure i've read elswhere on be that they don't give double on any temp visa, not sure about proof n stuff. I was just going to e-mail before booking and ask if they would allow any extra. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i f the flight is quiet, they might oblige.

Cheers
Mandy

Still no visa, but expecting a good offer on the flat today!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Carlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to allCarlton Cold's is a name known to all

Good luck Mandy with the offer today, I know how anxious you must be, as we were in the same position only last week.

Cheers

Russ & Sarah
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Just accepted a verbal offer on the flat!! The lowest that we were willing to take, but they are first time buyers and willing to leave the entry date open till we get sorted and they're looking to buy stuff off us too, so couldn't really ask for a better set of circumstances!!!

Just need the visa now, ho hum!!!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:47 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default PR Study Advice Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Advice and warning, you will find that most traditional trades on CRICOS are through TAFE and private VET colleges in Vic and QLD. I saw Riborg from Sunshine Coast TAFE mentioned, she no longer works there. Further, education agents and colleges are not allowed to give PR or other migration advice, even if they do know it, but most do not......

If you are borderline you should seek advice of a good MARA agent for advice on specific study pathways. Education institutions often DO NOT understand PR reqs etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi guys,

Just accepted a verbal offer on the flat!! The lowest that we were willing to take, but they are first time buyers and willing to leave the entry date open till we get sorted and they're looking to buy stuff off us too, so couldn't really ask for a better set of circumstances!!!

Just need the visa now, ho hum!!!!

Cheers
Mandy

Well done Mandy thats great news x
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future
Default Re: PR Study Advice Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Advice and warning, you will find that most traditional trades on CRICOS are through TAFE and private VET colleges in Vic and QLD. I saw Riborg from Sunshine Coast TAFE mentioned, she no longer works there. Further, education agents and colleges are not allowed to give PR or other migration advice, even if they do know it, but most do not......

If you are borderline you should seek advice of a good MARA agent for advice on specific study pathways. Education institutions often DO NOT understand PR reqs etc.

Sorry not sure what you mean we went through Riborg and start our course in July 2008. I thought Riborg works for study in australia and not TAFE?
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

SirDigbyChickenCaesar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hiya,

Cheers for the info!!

Regarding the luggage weight, did you mean 44kg? As 44 lbs is under 20kg and I thought 20kg was about what other airlines would allow. Totally crap that they don't give double!!!

Also, how easy/hard did you find it getting work?

cheers
Mandy
Doh sorry I wrote that too fast and didn't check it...it's actually 46kg EACH! (PS we went over that by 8kg, but they just smiled and tagged them) So there's no mistake, here what Air New Zealand said:

"We don't offer an extra baggage allowance for a student however if you are coming from the UK you could make sure that you travel via Los Angeles as there is a larger baggage allowance on this route than if you traveled via Hong Kong. The baggage allowance via the States is 2 pieces per person each piece to weigh no more than 23kgs and via the east the allowance would be 20kgs per person total. Air New Zealand has a daily service from London to Los Angeles and then Auckland and also a daily service from London to Hong Kong and then Auckland.
If you have a lot of luggage to bring you could call our cargo department and ask for a rate for unccompanied baggage."

I bothered every major airline for double luggage, but none will give you it, and yes I think they want to see proof when you book/get your tickets. I guess they don't see 'students' as future customers, the fools. Well done on the offer on the flat Mandy...hope it all goes through! Finding work is not difficult depending on what you want to do, in fact OH has just been offered sponsorship on a 457. So people will give you a go, just don't give up! We also found that rental agents were fine with us being from the UK, everyone's been really positive and helpful over here.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers sir D.C.C.,

Info greatly appreciated!!

Thanx Brockies!!

Mandy
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SirDigbyChickenCaesar
Doh sorry I wrote that too fast and didn't check it...it's actually 46kg EACH! (PS we went over that by 8kg, but they just smiled and tagged them) So there's no mistake, here what Air New Zealand said:

"We don't offer an extra baggage allowance for a student however if you are coming from the UK you could make sure that you travel via Los Angeles as there is a larger baggage allowance on this route than if you traveled via Hong Kong. The baggage allowance via the States is 2 pieces per person each piece to weigh no more than 23kgs and via the east the allowance would be 20kgs per person total. Air New Zealand has a daily service from London to Los Angeles and then Auckland and also a daily service from London to Hong Kong and then Auckland.
If you have a lot of luggage to bring you could call our cargo department and ask for a rate for unccompanied baggage."

I bothered every major airline for double luggage, but none will give you it, and yes I think they want to see proof when you book/get your tickets. I guess they don't see 'students' as future customers, the fools. Well done on the offer on the flat Mandy...hope it all goes through! Finding work is not difficult depending on what you want to do, in fact OH has just been offered sponsorship on a 457. So people will give you a go, just don't give up! We also found that rental agents were fine with us being from the UK, everyone's been really positive and helpful over here.
Good luck everyone going on a student visa. We sold our house and came over in May with just 2 suitcases..... I am currently studying hairdressing in the Gold Coast. I would just like to say, yes it's difficult getting work with the restrictions, but it's definately worth it to see that blue sky every morning and to have so many things to do on a weekend. Trust me it worth it all

Est n Sambo
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

ibioble is an unknown quantity at this point

That blue sky, can't wait to get away from the wet winter that's setting in. .

I'm applying for the cert 3 cabinet making at skills tech tafe in Brisbane.
I'm planning on flying to Oz on a tourist visa, do my meds, and apply for the visa onshore.

Is that a good idea?
Any advise anyone?

Good news on the offer Mandy, not long now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.