First Update

Old May 2nd 2013, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Update

Those short breaks sound great, I'd love to do the Edinburgh one too!

I was looking at flight prices NY to London the other day and out of curiosity I changed the search to a return trip the other way London to NY, it was half the price!! Now that didn't work for every date that I put in but for some June dates I was playing with it did, huge difference in $$.

Also, I'm pretty sure you will start accruing vacation time from the first day you start work. So you might be surprise how quickly you have enough vacation time saved for a little trip!
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:08 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Whofan,

I am so pleased to hear that your legs are OK. I started to walk in a serious way in 2008 and my calves felt like rocks, so I am glad you are just experiencing the effects of a good walk.

Congrats on finding the house share. It sounds perfect and I am sure those dogs will be packing their bags and moving up to the 3rd floor on a permanent basis.

I highly recommend Edinburgh. Just spent two nights up there and even after many visits, I never tire of it. It is a great city for walking in. The New Town, the Old Town, the Castle and Arthur's Seat are all brill! I like Leith too and there are many other things to see and do. Galleries, museums, botantic gardens etc.

Let me know if you do plan a visit. Maybe we could get together? I am about an hour to the by-pass. When OH and I go up we usually drive to the park and ride and take the bus in and then we don't have to worry about dealing with the traffic and the never ending construction for the trams.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have one busy day and don't get to read and look what happens Well done WhoFan, you have sturdy legs and a new fantastic place to live and a job interview to boot. Isn't life amazing?
Now cross your fingers that our old boat sells, we want to move NOW!
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:47 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lf1
Whofan,

I am so pleased to hear that your legs are OK. I started to walk in a serious way in 2008 and my calves felt like rocks, so I am glad you are just experiencing the effects of a good walk.

Congrats on finding the house share. It sounds perfect and I am sure those dogs will be packing their bags and moving up to the 3rd floor on a permanent basis.

I highly recommend Edinburgh. Just spent two nights up there and even after many visits, I never tire of it. It is a great city for walking in. The New Town, the Old Town, the Castle and Arthur's Seat are all brill! I like Leith too and there are many other things to see and do. Galleries, museums, botantic gardens etc.

Let me know if you do plan a visit. Maybe we could get together? I am about an hour to the by-pass. When OH and I go up we usually drive to the park and ride and take the bus in and then we don't have to worry about dealing with the traffic and the never ending construction for the trams.
I'll definitely be coming for a visit, so that would be lovely! Once I know for sure more details I'll let you know I don't know how these coach trips work and how much time they give you to just wander around and explore, especially if they're only short trips - but we'll work something out.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:51 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have one busy day and don't get to read and look what happens Well done WhoFan, you have sturdy legs and a new fantastic place to live and a job interview to boot. Isn't life amazing?
everything is crossed that you sell your old boat. Trust me, once everything starts to happen, it happens at once and that's when things REALLY get interesting. But it WILL happen and SOON! Then it will be my turn to bounce around with excitement and countdown the days for you!
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:57 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by NiHao
Those short breaks sound great, I'd love to do the Edinburgh one too!

I was looking at flight prices NY to London the other day and out of curiosity I changed the search to a return trip the other way London to NY, it was half the price!! Now that didn't work for every date that I put in but for some June dates I was playing with it did, huge difference in $$.

Also, I'm pretty sure you will start accruing vacation time from the first day you start work. So you might be surprise how quickly you have enough vacation time saved for a little trip!
Yes, I can't understand the huge difference in prices when booking for the same route, but booking from the other direction. It's not as though you are going into a difference season so one direction is going into Summer and the other is going into Winter.

The good part about these little 'vacations' is that you don't really need to build up too much vacation time, because many of them are just 2 or 3 days and that's perfect for over a weekend, depending of course whether they are mid week departures. They have specific departure dates, so would have to plan accordingly. But if all goes well with this new job (and according to Mr G he doesn't have any concerns that I won't get the job), I might be working a 4 on 4 off rotation, so depending on the schedule I can work in a 2 day trip on my off days Exciting thought !
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

WhoFan, I'm not around much anymore but just wanted to stop in and say that I think you're an inspiration and I'm so glad things are working out for you.

Your story proves that all the planning and worrying and saving that some of us do can sometimes just an excuse to postpone actually having to do something. (I know this is a tendency of mine as I get older and I fight it all the time). You made your plans, booked your flight and off you went with no idea of what would happen next. And yet just a few weeks later you have not only a home and a potential job, but also two new friends. Amazing!

As for Edinburgh, we went about a month ago and I thought it was a nice city. It made us realize that city breaks really aren't for us - I think because we spent enough time in a huge city to last lifetime! - but if you enjoy the hustle and bustle of a big city, I think you'll really enjoy it. Lots of lovely buildings and enough tartan and whiskey to last you a lifetime

Anyway, just wanted to say how happy I am for you.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:01 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
WhoFan, I'm not around much anymore but just wanted to stop in and say that I think you're an inspiration and I'm so glad things are working out for you.

Your story proves that all the planning and worrying and saving that some of us do can sometimes just an excuse to postpone actually having to do something. (I know this is a tendency of mine as I get older and I fight it all the time). You made your plans, booked your flight and off you went with no idea of what would happen next. And yet just a few weeks later you have not only a home and a potential job, but also two new friends. Amazing!

As for Edinburgh, we went about a month ago and I thought it was a nice city. It made us realize that city breaks really aren't for us - I think because we spent enough time in a huge city to last lifetime! - but if you enjoy the hustle and bustle of a big city, I think you'll really enjoy it. Lots of lovely buildings and enough tartan and whiskey to last you a lifetime

Anyway, just wanted to say how happy I am for you.

Thanks Louise That really means a lot! I think I would have been like most people in that if I had a job back in the US I would have stayed a little longer and saved more, not been happy about it - but I would have done it! But as it was I had nothing really holding me there any longer and as soon as the opportunity arose I took hold with both hands and off I went.

I must admit I'm not a big city person anymore either, I've been there and done that as well. But I would love to see Edinburgh because of the Tattoo and it's been on my bucket list for years. Plus my grandparents were Scottish, so it would be nice to go see some family history there somewhere I think though that most of my little mini vacations would be the wide open countryside, with some castles, historic homes, palaces and iconic landmarks. No shortage there from what I can see !
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

You will love Scotland,I could live there no problem.We visited the Highlands two years ago,and the scenery it to die for.I loved Stirling also Stirling castle, is really worth a visit,also the view from the castle is breath taking.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:03 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
You will love Scotland,I could live there no problem.We visited the Highlands two years ago,and the scenery it to die for.I loved Stirling also Stirling castle, is really worth a visit,also the view from the castle is breath taking.
I'd love to go to Stirling Castle and that is on my bucket list too....primarily for it's connection to Sir William Wallace I love great scenery and that impresses me more anything. I love going somewhere where it takes my breath away and I can just stand and soak it all up. I'm looking forward to getting the chance to go there.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:35 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Here's a picture of the new house More photo's will follow once I move in, get settled and grab my camera..
Attached Thumbnails First Update-home.jpg  
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Here's a picture of the new house More photo's will follow once I move in, get settled and grab my camera..
Lovely!!
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:46 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
MITF - I have lost track of all the pending moves as things seem to be quite active at the moment. I know that you are getting moving quotes at the moment, but can't remember when you are moving?
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, what a beautiful home. So excited for your. I hope you get the kjob and just think you should get 4 weeks vacation time a year!! Great compared to the 1 or 2 weeks you usually get in the US.
Those day trips sound so nice. There is so much to see and do over there and then when you get older you get reduced train fares. When I was back in Scotland last year if you are over 50 there were certain days you could travel for like half price. Don't know if they have that where you are?

We are all so proud of you. It does seem that things are falling into place for you, the job would be the icing on the cake.

Take care
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:15 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so I've finally caught up with everything lol! Just want to add my congrats to everyone elses and say how happy I am for you that everything is going so well for you! The house is lovely and the doggies/housemates sound fantastic, your positive attitude and determination is just so inspiring, keep posting, we are all cheering you on every step of the way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.