First Update

Old May 5th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Update

I think you should start a blog and have your photos on there. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?! Who would have thought that just a couple of months ago you were still in AZ wondering if you would ever get home. Before you know it you will be so settled if will feel like you never left
Old May 5th 2013, 2:31 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NiHao
Thank you so much for the updates, I love getting these snippets of how your adventures are going.

So much has happened in such a short time! I think your new landlords sound fab! Fingers crossed for the interview on Thursday and how wonderful to be able to walk to work if you get it!

It is interesting how you get a different response to a smile and a friendly hello from different people/different areas. I bet with time you'll win some of them over!

I'm sure with a bit more time you will discover some great walking routes, maybe check out the local ordnance survey map for the area to see it there are other footpaths or bridleways in the area.

Will you be making visits back to your "local" and the Chippie in Diggle? You don't have to be living there to still enjoy the walks and the lovely people you've met it would be a shame to loose that contact.

Also I keep meaning to check, did you say this job would be 4 days on 4 days off? Are the hours long on the 4 days working or just regular? I think it would be great having that time off work especially when you are in a new area and have so much to explore. Where is your closest library, they are often such wonderful places to find out what is going on in the way of classes and clubs etc.

Are you allowed to take the dogs for walks? I don't know if this would be something that would interest you (or if you'd be allowed to borrow a doggie) but when we had a dog I had so much fun taking her to Agility and Canine Good Citizen classes, met lovely people and our dog had the time of her life especially in agility! Its great exercise too because you have to run the course with them!

Looking forward to the next installment!

p.s I was thinking about the photos (which I'm dying to see) and maybe the easiest would be to post them for 24hrs and then take them down?

If you did a password protected blog or photo sharing page you could post the link and have people PM you for the password OR maybe you don't even need to bother with a password but have people PM you for the link.
Yes, the job is 4 days on and 4 days off, so work from 6am to 6.30pm or 5.30pm to 6am - something like that anyway..lol Twelve hour shifts !

Mr D just took me for a drive around the surrounding areas, and apparently if I had turned left at the canal instead of right it would have taken me to a much prettier area and a huge lake, where there are boats and everything.. lol. So that is on my to-do list for next time. He actually took me into Rochdale and showed me where I need to go for the interview on Thursday. There are some quite pretty areas, although even Mr D said he wouldn't walk around there late at night, not as though I were intending to..lol

Unfortunately it would be a bit difficult for me to just pop back to Diggle and walk around the familiar areas. From here it's a 40 minutes bus trip into Oldham and from there I'd have to get my old bus into Diggle which is another 30 minutes. It's do-able though! Once I get more familiar with the area there are trains and a tram, so I'll find out where everything goes to.. lol

It's funny with my 'landlords'. Mr G talks about where everything is, and to just help myself when I want to cook my meals and then there's Mr D who takes me shopping and picks up a bottle of wine for me and starts talking about making pasta or risotto for dinner. lol. They're both great!

I'll have to take some photo's of the inside of the house soon...everyone is off work tomorrow, so I'll do it when I have the house to myself, so I don't feel as daft walking around taking pictures..
Old May 5th 2013, 2:36 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I think you should start a blog and have your photos on there. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?! Who would have thought that just a couple of months ago you were still in AZ wondering if you would ever get home. Before you know it you will be so settled if will feel like you never left
I think that once I get the job and start earning some money, I won't feel so paranoid that this dream is going to end. I'm concerned about money of course, because I didn't come back with a lot, and what with paying for the B&B and eating out because I couldn't cook at the B&B until they put a microwave in a few days before I left and other various expenses, what money I did have has whittled it's way down. Thankfully I've paid for the next month here, and paid the deposit, and if I can put aside next months rent as well I won't feel as bad.

I should hear something soon with regards to the JSA, but from what I gather from Mr G I won't be needing it. lol. Once again, I'm not going to hold my breath even though I've been told this interview is just a formality..lol
Old May 5th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
They're definitely great guys and they're so funny with each other.

By the time I go for the interview on Thursday I'll have been here 3 weeks, so not bad going hey??
I think it is M A R V E L L O U S !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 5th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the job is 4 days on and 4 days off, so work from 6am to 6.30pm or 5.30pm to 6am - something like that anyway..lol Twelve hour shifts !

Mr D just took me for a drive around the surrounding areas, and apparently if I had turned left at the canal instead of right it would have taken me to a much prettier area and a huge lake, where there are boats and everything.. lol. So that is on my to-do list for next time. He actually took me into Rochdale and showed me where I need to go for the interview on Thursday. There are some quite pretty areas, although even Mr D said he wouldn't walk around there late at night, not as though I were intending to..lol

Unfortunately it would be a bit difficult for me to just pop back to Diggle and walk around the familiar areas. From here it's a 40 minutes bus trip into Oldham and from there I'd have to get my old bus into Diggle which is another 30 minutes. It's do-able though! Once I get more familiar with the area there are trains and a tram, so I'll find out where everything goes to.. lol

It's funny with my 'landlords'. Mr G talks about where everything is, and to just help myself when I want to cook my meals and then there's Mr D who takes me shopping and picks up a bottle of wine for me and starts talking about making pasta or risotto for dinner. lol. They're both great!

I'll have to take some photo's of the inside of the house soon...everyone is off work tomorrow, so I'll do it when I have the house to myself, so I don't feel as daft walking around taking pictures..
Your landlords sound fabulous!!!!
Old May 6th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you have great landlords. I hope you get the job. Of course 12 hour shifts are hard on the body, at least for me, especially if you are standing. If you get the job (and I hope you do) if its something that is really wearing, you could do that job and apply for others so it wouldn't be like you are stuck there forever. I am happy things are falling into place. My sister tells me today its still bloody chilly and it's May. She is sick of the weather. I have to remind her about the terrible hot summers here in the US. Are you getting any "twinges"of being a little homesick for the US or are you utterly happy to be back in the UK?

Last edited by morayeel; May 6th 2013 at 2:39 am. Reason: spelling errors
Old May 6th 2013, 7:16 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by morayeel
sounds like you have great landlords. I hope you get the job. Of course 12 hour shifts are hard on the body, at least for me, especially if you are standing. If you get the job (and I hope you do) if its something that is really wearing, you could do that job and apply for others so it wouldn't be like you are stuck there forever. I am happy things are falling into place. My sister tells me today its still bloody chilly and it's May. She is sick of the weather. I have to remind her about the terrible hot summers here in the US. Are you getting any "twinges"of being a little homesick for the US or are you utterly happy to be back in the UK?
I've worked 12 hour shifts before, and as long as I'm busy the time really seems to go faster than it does for an 8 hour shift. At least to me.. But I'm getting older of course and it will depend on whether I'm sitting down for the entire shift, moving around the warehouse, or standing up.

The sun is actually out today - shock !!! It doesn't feel cold, so today is a perfect day to go explore the other side of the canal, and this time I'm going to take my camera with me.

I haven't had a single twinge! I'm not homesick...but I do miss my friends. I do miss being able to watch Hell's Kitchen...lol But there's so many new shows starting soon that I'll be spoiled for choice!
Old May 6th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it were more like the canal in Diggle...but I did see one barge It's definitely not as pretty...a lot of rubbish around which is sad! But I haven't walked the full length, so it might get better. One of these day's I'll walk as far as I can and see I guess I can't afford to be picky....LOL. At least I have a roof over my head, two lovely new friends, 3 doggies and a job !

Oh and there's the obligatory cat who came into my room last night and tried to sit on my neck.. According to Mr D I should be very honored because he isn't usually like that with strangers
The Marple to Macc Canal is a lovely stretch but we would not of know that if we had started off in Tameside part of it (they connect at a point) I know the stretch of the Canal near Diggle goes through Saddleworth which is a nice part....and dont forget you might one day have your own place in Diggle etc
Old May 6th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Whofan! I don't think you'll miss Hells Kitchen for long. There is a plethora of cooking shows, where Head Honcho type chefs terrify their minions, on UK TV. Just try Masterchef for a start.
Haven't seen so much of Gordon since I've been back. Maybe it's because of his success in the States.
Re finding a job. Isn't it sad when my criteria are that I don't have to stand up all day, or work evenings! I am seriously considering starting my own business!
My sister in law has just come off four day, twelve hour shifts, in customer service. She did it for a decent length of time and then put in for part time hours, and got them!
It's lovely weather today. Just given up digging in the garden because its too hot! Mr Jemima's gone for a serious walk with a friend up hill and down dale.
Like you we are currently Northeners, but Yorkshire, other side of the Pennines!
Old May 6th 2013, 11:38 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by brits1
The Marple to Macc Canal is a lovely stretch but we would not of know that if we had started off in Tameside part of it (they connect at a point) I know the stretch of the Canal near Diggle goes through Saddleworth which is a nice part....and dont forget you might one day have your own place in Diggle etc
That would be lovely, but if I'm working here in Milnrow then it would make getting to and from work a bit of a chore! But a lovely thought! Although after what I've seen today I could settle around here too...I'll write a separate posting about today!
Old May 6th 2013, 11:42 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by jemima55
Hi, Whofan! I don't think you'll miss Hells Kitchen for long. There is a plethora of cooking shows, where Head Honcho type chefs terrify their minions, on UK TV. Just try Masterchef for a start.
Haven't seen so much of Gordon since I've been back. Maybe it's because of his success in the States.
Re finding a job. Isn't it sad when my criteria are that I don't have to stand up all day, or work evenings! I am seriously considering starting my own business!
My sister in law has just come off four day, twelve hour shifts, in customer service. She did it for a decent length of time and then put in for part time hours, and got them!
It's lovely weather today. Just given up digging in the garden because its too hot! Mr Jemima's gone for a serious walk with a friend up hill and down dale.
Like you we are currently Northeners, but Yorkshire, other side of the Pennines!
I think the only reason I miss Hell's Kitchen, is because I started to watch the new series before I left, so I wanted to see who was winning..lol I do like watching Masterchef and have been watching that since I got back. I really love watching cooking shows so I'm spoiled for choice...especially with all the lovely shows with Jamie Oliver

I've just come back from a 4 hour walk, so I'll tell everyone about it. I just have to figure out the best way to upload the 80 odd photo's I took and have them in just one album that people can look at, rather than trying to upload them 5 at a time on here....lol

Yorkshire is definitely beautiful too...and one day I'd like to come visit the Last of the summer wine country
Old May 6th 2013, 11:49 am
Yorkshire Lass

Well, to say my feet and legs have had a workout this morning is an understatement. I've just got back from a 4 hour walk and all this exercise must be doing me good because I'm not out of breath, my legs don't ache and the only reason my feet hurt is because I was wearing new sandals (not advisable when you're going for a long walk..lol). I had my trusty camera with me and was snapping away, so there's 80 odd photo's I need to upload somehow..

I did what Mr D suggested, and this time I went down the canal in the opposite direction and it's like chalk and cheese compared with the other direction. Talk about lovely ! I walked all the way to an area called Smithy Bridge, then left the canal and walked up the hill to Hollingworth Lake.. My gosh it's HUGE !!!! Being a bank holiday Monday, every man and his dog (literally) were out walking the lake, so I followed and walked around the ENTIRE lake. There are some VERY beautiful houses around there, and I hate to think how much, but what a view they have.

Everyone was lovely and was saying Good Morning or in the case of some people 'Alright love?' I even stopped half way around at the ice cream van and had a 99 I patted dogs, talked to people and snapped photo's with my camera. Then of course I had to do the reverse walk back home again. lol. That's when I noticed my feet were starting to burn and now I have a huge blister on the bottom of my left foot under my big toe. Owie ! lol

It's such a beautiful day, and it was too nice to stay indoors, so now I'm back and I have the window open and everything..

Now all I need to do is figure out how to share all the photo's with you! I can't upload them 5 at a time, because a) it would take too long and b) it only lets me do 5 at a time and not 10 as someone said it does.. lol. But I'll figure it out and then you can vicariously join me on my journey from this morning.
Old May 6th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful! So glad the other direction was so much nicer! Your poor foot, blisters are so painful. I love that you have the windows open, I miss that.

For photos you could go to shutterfly and load them up and then make a sharesite - all the info is on shutterfly and its super easy. Then post a link.

or Flicka is very easy too and then post a link like islandwoman did

or go to blogger and start a blog - super easy and load them on there then post a link.

Look forward to seeing them
Old May 6th 2013, 12:10 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by NiHao
Wonderful! So glad the other direction was so much nicer! Your poor foot, blisters are so painful. I love that you have the windows open, I miss that.

For photos you could go to shutterfly and load them up and then make a sharesite - all the info is on shutterfly and its super easy. Then post a link.

or Flicka is very easy too and then post a link like islandwoman did

or go to blogger and start a blog - super easy and load them on there then post a link.

Look forward to seeing them

I'm uploading them to Shutterfly as we speak !

Hopefully this link works : http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AcNmbZszatWziY

and these are just a few I took of my room

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AcNmbZszatWzkA

Last edited by WhoFan63; May 6th 2013 at 12:22 pm.
Old May 6th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Just looked at the photos, it looks like a lovely walk with an amazing variety of things to see. You do seem to have fallen on your feet as far as places to live go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.