Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

View Poll Results: Would you do the same again?
YES!
55.68%
NO!
32.95%
Undecided.
11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Would you do it again?

Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you do it again?

There wasn't a "yes, but" so my yes probably skewed the vote.

Another internet, international relationship, so I couldnt vote "no" because I dont regret my OH and our life together.

Because we had agreed in the beginning that after 5 years we would return to my home, I had to manage my dislike of some of the aspects of living in the USA. With the lack of comprehensive health insurance I always felt ill at ease and besides my oh's friends who were lovely I found it difficult to make friends of my own.

After the first year or so, it was more taking advantage of the travel and enjoying seeing as many states and countries as I could before returning to Oz, rather than settling to the lifestyle and enjoying living there.

Culturally, the USA is a completely different kettle of fish and the similar language just confuses things even more.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:19 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We shall see. Perhaps, over time mine will warm up to the idea as well.
Mine's been there twice. Second time was a fu(king disaster and we've had so many discussions on the matter over the years that it nearly ended the marriage. Its really just come down to a matter of realising fairness, I suppose....that and we've changed with age.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I moved this way, as it seemed to make more sense for the none pregnant person to move. We both imagined that at some time we would move the other way; but the longer I am here, the more unlikely it seems. Selling the house and sorting out a life at a distance, both needing work, sorting out a visa the other way around; I have a feeling it just will not happen. I have a feeling that my missus wishes we had done it the other way around, as she is an anglophile.
I been here since '87 and for the most part, it seemed imposible to return. In retrospect tho, its pretty clear now that at almost anytime, it would have been feasible after all. Just didn't see it that way at the time/s.
I hate to hear "it just won't happen" as it nearly finished me off - so to both you and SultanOfSwing. There most certainly is a way - its just a case of accepting temporary conditions in exchange for the result of being home again.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Knowing what you now know, and given the chance to turn back the clock, would you still emigrate from the UK?
It's my second time moving to the USA and I would do it time and time and time again. Love my American Dream
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Mine's been there twice. Second time was a fu(king disaster and we've had so many discussions on the matter over the years that it nearly ended the marriage. Its really just come down to a matter of realising fairness, I suppose....that and we've changed with age.

I been here since '87 and for the most part, it seemed imposible to return. In retrospect tho, its pretty clear now that at almost anytime, it would have been feasible after all. Just didn't see it that way at the time/s.
I hate to hear "it just won't happen" as it nearly finished me off - so to both you and SultanOfSwing. There most certainly is a way - its just a case of accepting temporary conditions in exchange for the result of being home again.
Are you still looking at the houseboat idea?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

My father in law explained it quite well once, that the entire business model of any insurance company is that a proportion (and ideally, ALL) customers DON'T claim. That's utopia for insurance.

So the business that decides whether or not to pay your claims, goes into any consideration for payment under the premise that it's better for business to NOT pay.

And these are the people that ultimately decide your medical treatment... businesses that are run with the hope they never have to offer medical treatment to anyone.

Despite all that, I'm very happy in the US and would indeed do it again. In fact, I moved over here twice already, so I've already done it again
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:34 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yep.
In fact, had a good look at a few at a marina near Bradford-on-Avon a fortnight ago. Walked thru one and got a lot of useful insights from the sales bloke (paid him a 20 for his trouble - the info really started flowing then....).
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Yep.
In fact, had a good look at a few at a marina near Bradford-on-Avon a fortnight ago. Walked thru one and got a lot of useful insights from the sales bloke (paid him a 20 for his trouble - the info really started flowing then....).
It sounds exciting...good luck with it all
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I had a mate live on a house boat at uni....because he'd been kicked off campus housing for being a scrote. It was cheaper for his folks to buy the boat than rent in decent housing in town.

The houseboat was shit
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
It's my second time moving to the USA and I would do it time and time and time again. Love my American Dream
That's the spirit!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It is optional in NH....which is why anyone living in MA/ME that are near the border have higher rates.

But, "Live free or Die" is their motto
Wow. Learn something new everyday!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Wow. Learn something new everyday!
Yeah, I found that out, living near the border
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I found that out, living near the border
I know you pay a fortune for insurance in KY because so many drive without (illegally) and the others have to pick up for uninsured motorist coverage, but didn't realize some areas didn't require it at all. Makes no sense!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:25 am
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by njmackem
That would take an awful lot of energy tho, wouldn't it?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
That's the spirit!
Yes, "Spirit" think he has drunk too much?

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I know you pay a fortune for insurance in KY because so many drive without (illegally) and the others have to pick up for uninsured motorist coverage, but didn't realize some areas didn't require it at all. Makes no sense!
We have same problem in Florida, especially the south. State Gov, says one in four no auto insurance. Geico, rep told me its ONE in THREE.

Our problem is not confind to illegal's, the regular citizens choose not to buy it. Every day I see cars with out of date Tags, as much as a year out of date. Does not help, that FL, doesn't have vehicle inspections. I see lots of bald tires, broken lights and black/blue smoke.
Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Nov 30th 2011 at 5:59 am.