Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the Consumer Credit Counselling service?

Anyone know anything about the Consumer Credit Counselling service?

Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:22 pm
Frequent Flyer

Carolina Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know anything about the Consumer Credit Counselling service?

I'm struggling financially with a Graduate Study loan from the UK and since losing my job in August haven't been able to make a payment on the loan.

Has anyone heard of the CCCS? And what are my possibilities for this debt now that I am living in the US?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know anything about the Consumer Credit Counselling service?

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
I'm struggling financially with a Graduate Study loan from the UK and since losing my job in August haven't been able to make a payment on the loan.

Has anyone heard of the CCCS? And what are my possibilities for this debt now that I am living in the US?
There are hundreds of credit counselling services in the US. Some are, no doubt, actually helpful, but many are scam-like. Few will know how to deal with a foreign debt. Best bet is to find a quality US consumer credit board and read/ask there. It is pretty well impossible for a UK consumer consumer debt to be enforced in the US. Doesn't mean they won't try, though. Latest attempts seem to have been to channel the debt through Canada and then try to sue in a US court. You can get it dismissed quite easily with legal advice/personal study.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:34 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There are hundreds of credit counselling services in the US. Some are, no doubt, actually helpful, but many are scam-like. Few will know how to deal with a foreign debt. Best bet is to find a quality US consumer credit board and read/ask there. It is pretty well impossible for a UK consumer consumer debt to be enforced in the US. Doesn't mean they won't try, though. Latest attempts seem to have been to channel the debt through Canada and then try to sue in a US court. You can get it dismissed quite easily with legal advice/personal study.
Thanks FatBrit

It's all getting a bit tricky financially and with only a little bit of unemployment which is due to run out in Feb I might just have to cut the UK debt adrift
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FatBrit

It's all getting a bit tricky financially and with only a little bit of unemployment which is due to run out in Feb I might just have to cut the UK debt adrift
I would contact the source of the loan in the UK and explain your situation. Turning your back on your UK loan may not be a good idea...especially if you have relatives still living there or if you ever want to go back (never say never).
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:42 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would contact the source of the loan in the UK and explain your situation. Turning your back on your UK loan may not be a good idea...especially if you have relatives still living there or if you ever want to go back (never say never).
I have been in touch every month since I lost my job. It's just that after 7 months of none payment they pass it onto a collection agency. It's a bit worrying to say the least.

Where in Jersey Girl?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in touch every month since I lost my job. It's just that after 7 months of none payment they pass it onto a collection agency. It's a bit worrying to say the least.

Where in Jersey Girl?
NW NJ...Morris County. I am 1 hr away from the Delaware Water Gap.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:48 pm
Frequent Flyer

NW NJ...Morris County. I am 1 hr away from the Delaware Water Gap.
Just moved to Madison in August.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FatBrit

Don't let it sink you!

In order of priority:
Rent (if applicable)
Essential utilities
Mortgage (if applicable)
IRS (if applicable)
US debt
Foreign debt
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just moved to Madison in August.
Madison...NJ? If so it's about 20 mins away from me...we have quite a lot of people living in that area. Have you been into Gary's store yet?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:53 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't let it sink you!

In order of priority:
Rent (if applicable)
Essential utilities
Mortgage (if applicable)
IRS (if applicable)
US debt
Foreign debt
That is exactly what I have been doing. It's funny but the chap I was talking to today at HSBC today in the UK said exactly the same thing. He emphasised don't lose the roof over your head.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:55 pm
Frequent Flyer

Madison...NJ? If so it's about 20 mins away from me...we have quite a lot of people living in that area. Have you been into Gary's store yet?
Yeah a few time. You been in Drip Coffee on Main Street. It's owner is a Brit.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah a few time. You been in Drip Coffee on Main Street. It's owner is a Brit.
No I haven't. I don't usually go walkabouts in Madison...just a quick hit and run in Gary's if I'm passing through.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:24 pm
Frequent Flyer

No I haven't. I don't usually go walkabouts in Madison...just a quick hit and run in Gary's if I'm passing through.
Where in Yorkshire you from as well?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Where in Yorkshire you from as well?
Sheffield.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:36 pm
Frequent Flyer

Sheffield.
I went to Uni at Sheffield and then Hallam. Lived in Sheffield for years. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.