Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

View Poll Results: Would you do the same again?
YES!
55.68%
NO!
32.95%
Undecided.
11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Would you do it again?

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:33 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you do it again?

Knowing what you now know, and given the chance to turn back the clock, would you still emigrate from the UK?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:00 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you do it again?

After nearly 8 years here it's a strong YES for me... but I can tell you that for a long time it was an equally strong HELL NO!

I've written a lot about culture shock on these boards in the past. If you're someone affected by it, it really can hit hard.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:13 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Knowing what you now know, and given the chance to turn back the clock, would you still emigrate from the UK?
I'd do it again, but now I know some of the areas that we went wrong in and would do things slightly different. Hopefully that way I would have felt more settled and happier sooner.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:28 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would do it again and I am happy here, only thing I would of changed is the ex-husband, notice I state ex
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

It was tough at first and took me longer to settle than I thought it would but I'm definitely glad we stuck it out and couldn't imagine going back to the UK, but never say never
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

But, I wouldn't have done it when I did, but later on in career and I certainly wouldn't have moved to the east coast, but dived straight into a decent hub such as Oregon/Washington or northern California.

I'm not miserable here, but I'm not jumping for joy either. It just is, what it is. I'd have done better to have not moved straight after uni though.

Oh well, no point dwelling on spilt milk, nothing you can do to change it.

You do, you live, you die.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
It's funny, but I don't really think of myself as having emigrated. That's what people do when they go to Australia, make a point of moving as a family for a better life. An A to B upheaval. Odd how my own understanding of the word is of a limited meaning.

I have been here 5 years now, I would say in the words of Zhou Enlai, "its too early to say". Sadly Agamemnon might have it right - don't say you made the right decision until you are on your death bed.

When push comes to shove: I voted YES

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 23rd 2011 at 2:41 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

I was lucky, and came over here initially as a student, when it's probably easier to meet people, costs are minimal and healthcare doesn't cross your mind even once.

Not only would I do it all again, I'd do anything to turn the clocks back to 1999.

For me, the West Coast is the best place on earth.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would

A little background - I never thought of living and working over here, I was lucky the company I worked for in the UK were closing our site and I was being laid off, 2 days later I got a phone call for my resume (I've become so American), I sent it, got an interview, got a job offer, knew nothing about visa's ect, but accepted the position. The funny thing is that a lot of people ask about the interview at the embassy in London - her was my first, being stopped by a policeman with a gun asking me what I was doing - it was just after September 11th 2001. All I had to do was hand my documents to a hand that appeared out of the door, 3 to 5 days later I received my passport with my H1-B in it back.

During this time I talked to my mum and dad about moving to the states and I will never forget the words my dad said to me

"take the opportunity, you can always come back but will there be that opportunity again!"

I'm glad I did it and don't regret a thing.

Brendan
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No way.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not miserable here, but I'm not jumping for joy either. It just is, what it is.
This.

Don't know if I would do it again. I would however make considerable changes to certain things if I did.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

No. Like Bob I don't hate it, and I'm not miserable but I wish we had stayed in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:17 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it again, knowing what I do now. Even so I couldn't leave the US, but I will forever miss the UK, and especially the being close to family and not being there for so many things.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Only been here since March so early days - missing family, mum poorly back in UK which is very hard but YES would do it all again and YES glad im here...

Met a fellow Brit who had been in US 40 years and in Northern CA 20 of them. He said it is the only place in US which has the closest weather to the UK ---makes me feel right at home!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.