Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:09 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think the main reason for it is that they are too busy yacking on the phone, drinking 32oz coffees and eating burgers; Americans spend so much time in the car they feel they have to "Multi-task", as it were.

That's well funny, almost as funny as seeing people in the gym on the treadmill talking on their mobile phone!!! What is that all about? Anyway, here in Texas, driving is a nightmare, particularly on the motorway. I think the exits are the most dangerous feature, its like driving round Monaco F1 circuit at some points. The road signs are awful/non-existent, the road surfaces are the worst I have ever driven on and the lane discipline is non-existent. I also agree with some of the other points here about having to cross five lanes of traffic in 50 yards to get onto the motorway in the first; that is really common in San Antonio. Its a bit of a death run really!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:30 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Maybe driving here isn't so bad after all

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM
They're doing much better than this crowd though...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you can't...you just think you can. Good morning Mr Seahorse.
Hey Jersey, how are you. Hope all is well.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Hello How are you this morning?
I am well thanks for asking. Nice to hear from you.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Perhaps if the cops had the brains to go to the passenger side of the vehicle to have a word with the driver and check his inspection/registraion (as they do almost everywhere else) the dozy bastards wouldn't get run over....and dont gimme that crap about the driver might have a gun and its safer at the drivers door......well as "more are killed at traffic stops than any other activity" it kinda proves that maybe standing with your arse 3 inches from a semi doing 65mph just incase the 90 year old blue rinse in the Buick Century is packing a loaded Smith and Wesson and wants to bust a cap in his ass isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world to be doing.
I totally agree.I advocated that very same idea for years on our Division when stopping motorists,go to the passenger side and get the driver out to go to that side even if it is pouring down.I still see the officers bending down by the drivers door, which is just a split second from the little sh*t/OAP pushing the door open, putting the officer under the wheels of a car or a HGV.How stupid?.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by dukeynorton

That's well funny, almost as funny as seeing people in the gym on the treadmill talking on their mobile phone!!! What is that all about? Anyway, here in Texas, driving is a nightmare, particularly on the motorway. I think the exits are the most dangerous feature, its like driving round Monaco F1 circuit at some points. The road signs are awful/non-existent, the road surfaces are the worst I have ever driven on and the lane discipline is non-existent. I also agree with some of the other points here about having to cross five lanes of traffic in 50 yards to get onto the motorway in the first; that is really common in San Antonio. Its a bit of a death run really!
My brother was here recently from Europe and he kept passing on the left and then pulling off to the right. I asked him why????!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Hey Jersey, how are you. Hope all is well.
Very good thank you. How are you and the little Seahorses?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just to add to number 3. Why, oh why, do they slow down when they see a cop car on the other side of the highway? It's especially annoying when there is no physical way that they can actually get to your side and you can see them, out of the car, pointing at the traffic on the other side.

As to the lane closures, agree 100%. There is a lot of construction going on outside my office, not highway but there are still lane closures and with 2 sets of lights it gets backed up quite a lot. A 3 lane road is now down to 1 lane and there is a very blatant arrow telling you to get over, and has been for weeks. Yesterday some donkey belts up the outside of everyone waiting to go through and then starts to cut in front of a white van that I'm behind, about 3 feet from the massive arrow. Well the van obviously thinks the car is a dick head because he doesn't let him in at which point the guy in the car is honking his horn and giving the finger, at the same time trying to cut in front of me. Until he gets a blast of my horn. Wankers. I don't mind if people genuinely look like they didn't know and they signal, try to get over early and wait until somebody lets them in, but the people who try to get a jump on the traffic and push in like they own the road can **** off.
I agree - what you describe is totally bad form. But you do get the flip-side of this where traffic is at a standstill because one lane is signed to close off in, say, 1/2 mile so everyone gets out of that lane there even though there's half a mile of available tarmac left to use. This then has the effect of lengthening the total tailback, possibly causing people to have to queue for the last exit when they needn't have to (thus making the queue even longer still). Then people who sensibly use the avalable lane until they're not supposed to any more get honked at and made to feel like they're the idiots...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

I just spent 21 days driving across and up the USA "about 5,500 miles" and actually was really impressed with the way the Americans drive, I don't think I have ever driven "or been" in a country where other drivers are so courteous... well, ok at least until we got to NJ and NY.

Have I shocked you all? sorry... really, both myself (NI Brit) and my Spanish wife where really impressed and never really came across any of the things that have been mentioned, maybe we where just lucky! or maybe it was a relief to be not dealing with Spanish and British roads for a while. lol
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by spaino
I just spent 21 days driving across and up the USA "about 5,500 miles" and actually was really impressed with the way the Americans drive, I don't think I have ever driven "or been" in a country where other drivers are so courteous... well, ok at least until we got to NJ and NY.

Have I shocked you all? sorry... really, both myself (NI Brit) and my Spanish wife where really impressed and never really came across any of the things that have been mentioned, maybe we where just lucky! or maybe it was a relief to be not dealing with Spanish and British roads for a while. lol

If they drive in Spain like they drive in Portugal , I can understand your POV
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? .... He isn;'t even in his car and has no idea how fast they are driving !
Perfect example this evening. Single cop out ticketing to sucker you in, 21 - yes, twenty one - cops on the backside of the hill to take down your ass.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:56 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

ahhh the joys of breaking the speed limit. I've yet to see anyone do that here yet.
The exit I would normally take to get home is just after the intersection that was voted 4th worst in the country for congestion (i405/i10). (I take surface roads instead - the wife bought me a new sat-nav with traffic info on it - its awesome!)

We are 'proud' to boast 4 of the top 12 worst congested intersections, GO CALIFORNIA!!!

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Perfect example this evening. Single cop out ticketing to sucker you in, 21 - yes, twenty one - cops on the backside of the hill to take down your ass.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

[QUOTE=Rushman;4906956]Make your mind up FFS[/QUOTE

Point taken, thank you very much.....

There are pathetic drivers from every nation....better?

Firtreesix
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaino
I don't think I have ever driven "or been" in a country where other drivers are so courteous... well, ok at least until we got to NJ and NY.

lol

No, you haven't shocked this lifelong New Yorker. I have been educated to some degree by my Canadian husband in a few of my driving shortcomings, i.e. pulling to the middle lane when approaching an entrance ramp to allow merging traffic to enter. But then I rarely drove in the right lane as I prefer the middle lane anyway but he is a ball busting passenger and he prefers to go from middle to right all the time rather than keep a steady speed and stay in the middle. So I now tend to drive in the right lane just to shut him up.

With family and friends scattered from New York City's Westchester County to the shores of New Jersey to the wilds of Massachusetts and the shores of the Finger Lakes in Western NYS and the Quebec province of Canada, I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles.

In all my travels, I have to say that New Yorkers are good drivers in my opinion. For the most part, New Jerseyites aren't too bad either but as my b-i-l points out that is because the majority of them are transplanted from NY. Mass drivers are the pitts and forgetaboutit when it comes to Quebec drivers. Must be the French attitude ... the roads belong to me and don't get in my way LOL
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, you haven't shocked this lifelong New Yorker. I have been educated to some degree by my Canadian husband in a few of my driving shortcomings, i.e. pulling to the middle lane when approaching an entrance ramp to allow merging traffic to enter. But then I rarely drove in the right lane as I prefer the middle lane anyway but he is a ball busting passenger and he prefers to go from middle to right all the time rather than keep a steady speed and stay in the middle. So I now tend to drive in the right lane just to shut him up.

With family and friends scattered from New York City's Westchester County to the shores of New Jersey to the wilds of Massachusetts and the shores of the Finger Lakes in Western NYS and the Quebec province of Canada, I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles.

In all my travels, I have to say that New Yorkers are good drivers in my opinion. For the most part, New Jerseyites aren't too bad either but as my b-i-l points out that is because the majority of them are transplanted from NY. Mass drivers are the pitts and forgetaboutit when it comes to Quebec drivers. Must be the French attitude ... the roads belong to me and don't get in my way LOL
In New England we were always warned about drivers from Mass and Quebec AND New Jersey. In Ohio they always carried on about drivers from Michigan.
Here in GA-I shake my head and for good reason, the most current was this morning when a young man most likely on his phone decided to rearend me as I was just starting to merge onto the main road after exiting I 95. He was cited for following too closely and now I have to get my bumper replaced and hope there is no frame damage from his "love tap."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.