Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Wikiposts

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
My favourite game to play
I watched a guy in a tri-axle dump truck play this game with a fellow who tried to get by him on the shoulder. Mr. dump truck would weave back and forth blocking him, once pulling diagonally across the lane and shoulder and stopping, blocking both! The guy in the car eventually got by, being way quicker and more manuverable but it was fun to watch while I was stuck sitting there. The truck driver got a lot of from the others in line.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:32 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always related driving ability, to one's intelligence level, read into that whatever you like.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:49 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
I've always related driving ability, to one's intelligence level, read into that whatever you like.
You think race drivers are some of the smartest people on the planet?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 2:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
Your right ...

Nigel Mansell was a bit daft ...
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As Brits we are taught to move over unless overtaking...ie don't drive down the middle lane. A woman was once telling us that her husband annoyed the hell out of her when she was driving because he kept telling her to move over to the right. She said she didn't know why all drivers couldn't just choose a lane and stay in it. Patrick will love this...I bet he's been behind her many times.

I only remain in the center lane or the left lane IF I am passing cars on my right. If I'm not, I will go to the right hand lane. I can't see the point of passing on the left, switching lanes back to the right, then one minute later having to switch to the left again to pass the car in front of me on the right. Too many lane changes and therefore, too many opportunities to have and/or cause an accident.

As for truckers, I drive the local branch of the NJ Turnpike and always pay close attention to trucks and their speed. Never try to overtake one of them unless they are only doing the speed limit of 65 or under. And will always switch back in front of them when I know there is a minimum of three car lengths between us.

My life ain't so hot at the moment, but I don't want to die quite yet.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I watched a guy in a tri-axle dump truck play this game with a fellow who tried to get by him on the shoulder. Mr. dump truck would weave back and forth blocking him, once pulling diagonally across the lane and shoulder and stopping, blocking both! The guy in the car eventually got by, being way quicker and more manuverable but it was fun to watch while I was stuck sitting there. The truck driver got a lot of from the others in line.
On the approach from the NJ Turnpike to the GW Bridge if there is a large breakdown lane. During the summer and on holidays when traffic is backed up for a mile or so to the toll plaza, there is always some selfish I don't want to wait guy who drives the breakdown lane for the mile or so. I try to ride over the line to stop them in their tracks. The last time I did this one guy in a Lexus had the nerve to slowly squeeze by, call me unprintable names and then turn my side mirror in so he could pass. So now I don't care, do what you want, I stay in my lane and I'll get home when I get home.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:23 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Rete
On the approach from the NJ Turnpike to the GW Bridge if there is a large breakdown lane. During the summer and on holidays when traffic is backed up for a mile or so to the toll plaza, there is always some selfish I don't want to wait guy who drives the breakdown lane for the mile or so. I try to ride over the line to stop them in their tracks. The last time I did this one guy in a Lexus had the nerve to slowly squeeze by, call me unprintable names and then turn my side mirror in so he could pass. So now I don't care, do what you want, I stay in my lane and I'll get home when I get home.
You should start driving a dump truck.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should build a few of these here and see what happens when they open. I'd like to see the looks they give the sign as well.

Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol my BIL lives near there
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons ago I lived near Hemel Hempstead, and I swear theirs is even better!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:49 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I think we should build a few of these here and see what happens when they open. http://home.san.rr.com/roundabout/rndabout.jpg

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I'd like to see the looks they give the sign as well.http://www.strum.co.uk/pix/mrs.jpg
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:52 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Forgot to mention earlier, I have seen truckers in the above situation (usually during a massive jam due to construction on a major highway like I-70 where it's stop and go for miles) form a block where one truck gets in the lane that is closed ahead and matches "speed" with a truck in the lane that remains open. The truck in the lane that eventually closes blocks the cars from speeding ahead and cutting in. It's fun to watch how pissed off the drivers get when their plans to bypass everyone and jump in right before the closure are foiled. I get just as angry at the do gooder that lets them in.
And if this is done within sight of the lane ending that's one thing (I hate inconsiderate pushers-in too), but unfortunately that's not always the case. Think about the poor people stuck at the back of an extended queue who needn't be (because they're turning off before the roadworks) just because some tw@t decides to play the hero and block the available lane.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
And what about all the busted tires that I see on the road and the cars with dodgy tires Is there a MOT equivalent in some states?
Depends on the state - in AZ all that is required is an emissions test for cars over a certain age registered in certain zip code areas of Tucson or Phoenix... best bit is, if your car fails it then a) the cost of repairs are capped by local legislation, depending on where you live and b) if you can't afford them, you can apply for a one-off waiver!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:16 am
Just Joined

rjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's in NJ isn't it?
I think it's Leicester High Street...
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:23 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rjbhutton
I think it's Leicester High Street...
Humph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.