Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Wikiposts

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh !! shut up.... we have to help contol the population explosion...
I think that there are a couple of issues. some which have been hilighted already. The driving test is a total joke no matter what locals think. To think that you can be qualified to drive after a 10 minute once around the block and a quick parralel park in an empty street is not a test of driving skills. Nor is the written test. That is how it was for me anyway. Now it maybe that you have to drivers ed if you are under 18 or young but there are plenty of people that start driving later in life who do not have to do this.
Its incredibly that you can learn and qualify on an automatic and be allowed to drive a manual car. They are two very very different beasts.
The other big problem at least here in LA is the road layout and signage. As someone else said I have to get on the on ramp cross 5 lanes of traffic within about 200 yards to cross onto the freeway to get home each night, ridiculous. The signposts for freeway entrances are often completely hidden around a corner and invisible until you have actually got on the freeway. Some genius thought it would be great to put the freeway entrance sign around a blind bend so as youre travelling at 70mph down the 134 you have about 100 yards to cross over assuming you saw the hidden sign around the blind bend to get to the 2 freeway.
I am sure bad signage is the cause of a huge number of accidents. Another example the 134 and 101 freeways cross each other. There are signs telling you how to get from the 134 to 101 and vice versa in one direction but not the other, until you have left the freeway. I am sure these freeway designers were on acid when they designed them. There is just no common sense at all.
No wonder you see people suddenly swerve across 5 lanes to get to their exit.
And dont get me started on the tiny little carpool regulation signs that flash by. There is so much writing on them it has to be impossible to read them. Some of them are very important telling you how many people you need and at what times.
And why do they do road markings. The eye scans from top to bottom not bottom to top. So I read Only Turn Left instead of Left turn only for example.. makes no sense at all
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh !! shut up.... we have to help contol the population explosion...
Sorry Ray,I didnt know you'd finished the rodent population off ! and were onto the humans now ?.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Sorry Ray,I didnt know you'd finished the rodent population off ! and were onto the humans now ?.
One has to do.. what one can... to help
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

More Yanks on this bloody thread than Brits. Think we've hit a sore point!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:35 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
More Yanks on this bloody thread than Brits. Think we've hit a sore point!
Not me. I drive like crap.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Not me. I drive like crap.
yeah you proved that with the story of the pantyhose while driving..........
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
yeah you proved that with the story of the pantyhose while driving..........
THIS has to be the funniest reply I've seen all day!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:22 pm
Banned

roadwarrior will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=and a quick parralel park in an empty street is not a test of driving skills.

in a street? i did mine in a minature secluded car park. parking and drove through some cones, that was it, hadnt ever driven before in the UK, got my US driving licence within 5 days of touching down at miami airport.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:32 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe driving here isn't so bad after all

Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by firtreesix
Why can´t British drive......?

Sorry, but over here in Spain I see British drivers commiting similar offences as they have no concept of driving on the ¨wrong side of the road¨.

However, I think British are better drivers considering the congestion on roads over there and the need for a bit more discipline.

There are idiots on the road everywhere.
Make your mind up FFS
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM
Looks like Thailand ..organized chaos ..
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
That's in NJ isn't it?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:39 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

It's India.. maybe the Brits gave them driving lessons...

Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Roundabouts as you call them, or circles as we down here in lower New York State use to call them, are not a part of our roadways any longer. We did away with the last one about 40 years ago and that was the Hawthorne Circle as best I remember. So difficult to know how to use something that you are not familiar with.
Oh really...I must have been dreaming when I drove around one in Latham, NY today then.....and last month.......and last year....and in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by penguinsix
More cops are killed in traffic stops than any other activity. It's a safety thing to slow down.
Perhaps if the cops had the brains to go to the passenger side of the vehicle to have a word with the driver and check his inspection/registraion (as they do almost everywhere else) the dozy bastards wouldn't get run over....and dont gimme that crap about the driver might have a gun and its safer at the drivers door......well as "more are killed at traffic stops than any other activity" it kinda proves that maybe standing with your arse 3 inches from a semi doing 65mph just incase the 90 year old blue rinse in the Buick Century is packing a loaded Smith and Wesson and wants to bust a cap in his ass isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world to be doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.