Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Wikiposts

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? ....!
The law requires then too in a few States

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/misc/MoveOver.htm
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I see from this thread that there are some"perfect" drivers around in the USA. I feel safer now.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Opportune time for the Rev MightBe to preach from the sermon " let he among who is without sin cast the first stone". Amen.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I see them all the time ...
1) The people who have no idea how to use a roundabout ..... They get halfway round and stop for some car comming from a side road :curse:
2) They sit in the middle lane when there are 3 lanes each way not even thinking about the vehicle in the right lane that wants to pull out and pass a slower vehicle, they don't move over, they just sit there and hold everyone up.
Roundabouts as you call them, or circles as we down here in lower New York State use to call them, are not a part of our roadways any longer. We did away with the last one about 40 years ago and that was the Hawthorne Circle as best I remember. So difficult to know how to use something that you are not familiar with.

3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? .... He isn;'t even in his car and has no idea how fast they are driving !
I concur. Stupidity. If the cop has radar you've been nailed already. What ticks me off is that everyone has to slow down to view an accident. If I want to see a dead body I will go to a funeral home. If I want to see an injuried body, I will visit the ER.

4) People who ignore 'Stop here on red' signs :curse: They pull right upto the intersection and in most cases prevent a truck from making the turn ... I just drive right up to them and make them back up .... IDIOTS

In England if you so much as put your wheel over that line you get a ticket for running a red light !
True but the problem is that people are trying to play spaceman where yellow means go like hell. When they can't make it, they stop.

I don't think driver's in the US are any worse than in other North American countries, i.e. Canada. I've never driven in Europe, only used mass transit there. But I see the same bloody behavior from Canadians when I'm in Canada with hubby and the in-laws.

Why are drivers such poor drivers? Lots of reasons, i.e. inability to read English, inability to operate vehicles properly, a selfish and/or mucho attitude behind the wheel of a car, inattention, police unwilling to issue tickets, etc.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 12th 2007 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? .... He isn;'t even in his car and has no idea how fast they are driving !
More cops are killed in traffic stops than any other activity. It's a safety thing to slow down.

And quite frankly, on more than one occasion I've seen a cop 'stop' writing a ticket and go off and find someone else doing something much worse. It's even happened to me (I was pulled over for a taillight--just a warning citation) and the cop just left without giving me the citation.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Uh, where I grew up we HAD to take a Driver's Education course AND in order to get a license you had to take a driving test, as well as the written test.

Same here, Cindy. Both my girls were required, by me, to take professional lessons before I would take them on the road to extend their driving experience hours.

I had driver's ed in high school and the road test was not a picnic. You had to drive on a city street with heavy traffic, merge, change lanes, make left and right hand turns, demonstrate how to use hand signals in case your car's signals were out, parallel park a car, make a full U turn and a broken U turn (today called a K turn).

The written test was not computerized. You were not allowed to look up the answers or talk to anyone else in the room. If you did, you failed automatically.

In fact, when I taught my girls to drive after their 3 or 5 professional lessons, they were also taught to change a tire, check their oil, replace a fan belt and jump start their cars.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:03 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by USBound
parallel parking...

if I ask my wife (American) to do it I get

she's been driving for 7 years....

I had to teach my Canadian husband to parallel park his car and he was 57 at the time.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:03 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We have roundabouts....they are a nightmare..
I don't really find the drivers here that bad..I hate it when people do 28 miles an hour on route 28...and not the 35 /40 miles an hour that it is...and people pulling out in front of you when there is no traffic behind you...
The biggest problem around here is old people not stopping at stop signs...but seeing as we have people driving here from many states all summer..I find it easier to get from A to B here in one piece than I did in Southampton and Portsmouth....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:06 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I concur, worst drivers in the world.
The world?
We've got our problems, but I'm sure there are worse places.

EDIT: The above comment is referring to driving, not in general.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jun 12th 2007 at 1:21 am.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The world?
We've got our problems, but I'm sure there are worse places.
Ever been to Barbados?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:20 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
Ever been to Barbados?
No. It sounds hot. Do they have bad drivers too?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

No. It sounds hot. Do they have bad drivers too?
More relaxed and they're dead
They just stop in the middle of the road to have a chat with another driver on the other side
There are only 9, I believe, different traffic signs on the whole island
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
Ever been to Barbados?
Barbados buses!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Barbados buses!

The music is to die for
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:37 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

They are just starting to install roundabouts and traffic circles in MO. A good friend of mine is the City Administrator of a town near where I live. There is a deal in progress to bring a giant retailer to the town and the road infrastructure near the location is being redesigned by the MO Dept of Transportation to handle the expected increase in traffic. They are looking at traffic circles (single lane roundabouts) as an option. This will involve giant tractors, combines and other farm equipment, tractor trailers, personal vehicles and Amish buggies all going around this circle thing. I've started calling it the "Meat Grinder" plan, to the consternation of my friend.
Don't let them do it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.